1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Pointless Task Thread

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peakster, Mar 29, 2020.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

As we all seem to have more time on our hands at the moment and at the risk of sounding like Reece I think we need a thread on the most pointless task you either plan to do or complete today. To qualify it must be of no useful benefit whatsoever other than to pass a little time in these looooooooooooooooooong days we are experiencing.

OK

I'm going to rearrange all the mugs in the cupboard and group them together by colour.

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Mrs MSB has had a major clear out of a shedful (literally) of ex-school/training resources recently. She was about to chuck all of the pens/pencils/desk top & drawer nick nacks en masse, but I decided to have a sort through them. I spent an absorbing couple of hours going through the pile item by item, testing all the pens to see if they still worked, and arranging all of the items in different piles according to type/function secured by rubber bands. I now have a highlighter collection that would be the envy of any 11 year old, various Tippex options at hand just in case, a bewildering variety of glue sticks, and the pencil collection alone will probably outlive me.

guinnesspuss, Sillow, SCAW12 and 10 others like this.
  3. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

As usual, our supposedly 'self-setting' radio controlled clocks have not reset themselves: one is flashing zeros and the other dashes. To pass the time (pun intended) I will try and get them to work; taking out the batteries and replacing them half an hour later, moving the clocks upstairs, placing them near a radio playing R4, etc.

@magic surf bus: You remind me of how clever i felt buying a job lot of Bic four colour biros, only to find that most of them had dried up when i came to use them. Ditto with GLS glue sticks, that dried out to the size of birthday cake candles, and rattle in their tubes.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  4. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

I'm going to fold my pajamas as small as I can.

5. magic surf bus

You're not supposed to be able to fold any piece of paper more than 7 times, so perhaps you could test that hypothesis with pyjamas and other materials? Maybe not the cat though.

6. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I’m going to brush my three cats. I’m going to make a prediction which cat I get the most amount of fur from. I will make it a fair test by brushing them for the same length of time using the same brush. I will then carry it out and evaluate the results against my predictions.

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've already been through all the pens in the house - I'll take some of them to school whenever we are allowed in.

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

OTH - If one of your cats is a Siamese it's not a fair test.

There's some good puns here - just can't think of any right now.

9. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

You could draw a graph (bar chart) and post it here, and make a cat-brushing worksheet, and a lesson plan, that would build on the pointlessness.

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Don't forget the lesson objectives

...and the plenary.

Sillow, Lidnod, Mangleworzle and 3 others like this.
  11. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I brushed my cat's ear. She left before I could do any more of her.

12. gargs

gargs Star commenter

I'm going to read the Coronavirus thread.

13. RepelloInimicum

RepelloInimicum Lead commenter

Will you be able to create a 4th cat from all the 'brushings'?

14. magic surf bus

You can brush cats?

You learn something new every day.

15. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I’m going to spend an hour online putting loads of products into a virtual supermarket shopping basket then delete the entire order when I find out the earliest delivery or collection slot is 3rd August.

16. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Or... I may phone the Universal Credit registration phone line, become the 107,654th person in the queue and wait 3 days to register my details at 3am in the morning.

agathamorse and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Or... I may read a copy of Boris’ letter to the masses online so that reading it when it arrives through my letterbox is pointless.

18. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Or... I may count all the toilet rolls in the house and decide whether I need to panic.

19. Mangleworzle

I've heard of people sitting for hours waiting to be able to do the checkout, even going to bed and getting up in the middle of the night or early morning the next day to finish it off.

agathamorse and Jamvic like this.
  20. Mangleworzle

We could have a new thread and a big discussion about Brexit.