1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Pie Thread

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by BelleDuJour, Sep 23, 2018.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Seems our @bizent has started something with his pie!
    So, what is/are your favourite pies?
    For me steak and kidney is up there, together with chicken, pancetta, leek and mushroom.
    ButI also love cheese and onion pie. And hand raised pork pies.
    Not to forget the sweet treats of apple pie, lemon meringue, pecan.
    And mince pies at Christmas.

Oh my.....love a pie!

nizebaby, emerald52 and egyptgirl like this.
  2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Oh man. I love a pie. I must admit, I find them challenging as I seem to find pastry a struggle. The old cliche of having hot hands. I don't mind admitting to cheating and occasionally buying good quality, all-butter stuff. When I do make my own, it turns out fine and tasty enough - just not wonderful from a presentation point of view. The other option is to work in a team with Mrs909 who does excellent pastry, leaving me to just do the filling!

However, any tips for making pastry for those with hot hands, welcome!

I like the pastry, if shortcrust, to be particularly short. I see little point, otherwise.

In terms of fillings...yeah, you can't beat steak and kidney.
    Also chicken and leek...I put balls of sausage meat in mine as well, just under the crust.
    I also love a good mince and onion pie...made with Guinness or similar, so the gravy is rich and almost black!
    I also like braising ox cheeks in ale, seemingly forever, and then baking in a pie.
    Fish pie, too (ie made with pastry, rather than topped with mash)
    And the West Midlands classic...the balti chicken pie! Less strange than it sounds!
    Game pie, too. Whether a hot one with lots of rich gravy or a hand raised cold one.
    Sweet pies...love them...but a good apple pie is the absolute best for me!
    And Mrs909 makes spectacular mince pies. One of my favourite things is a mince pie on Christmas Eve afternoon, with a glass or two of Madeira!

I even like the cheap pies you get in chip shops!

For me, though, a pie should have a crust on the top and the bottom. A top crust only pie is better than no pie, but I love a double crust! The contrast in the textures of the top and bottom crust are fab! I always feel a bit cheated if I go to a pub and order a pie and it's a top crust only! Especially if it's a puff pastry one that tries to impress by having risen eight inches off the pie dish, but then just collapses into dry shards when you try and eat it.

Mmmm...pie. I want a pie now and it's fasting day! Help! Maybe I need to plan a pie in this week...

egyptgirl likes this.
  3. BelleDuJour

I'm happy with top crust only.
    I love making pastry and find a good, homemade top crust pie had the added bonus of even more filling.

nizebaby, emerald52 and egyptgirl like this.
  4. BelleDuJour

PS Does pizza count as a pie?
    If top crust only is a pie then surely bottom crust only does too?
    Speaking of which I can knock up a splendid coca de trampo!

egyptgirl likes this.
  5. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Bottom crust must count if you include things like pecan pie! Is depth of filling a factor, though?

I like eating pies but hate making them. I always find making pastry a faff and avoid it. I do make decent, tiny mincemeat tarts for Christmas with pastry so short it is almost shortbread. I love a Canadian butter tart too.

Here's my controversial offering - I wouldn't turn my nose up at anything mentioned already. All delicious! But the nearest to a savoury pie that I cook is a steak and kidney pudding! Is it a pie if steamed? It's still a form of pastry.

forthejoyofit and egyptgirl like this.
  6. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I love pie - most commonly eaten is probably chicken, bacon, mushroom and tarragon/apple and blackberry.
    I also love chip shop pies but love mine with chip shop curry sauce!
    Nick, I have hot hands too - shortcrust is done in the processor and if I ever need to handle pastry, I wash my hands thoroughly in cold water beforehand. I'm trying to train the eldest child in pastry as she seems to have cooler hands than me.
    Everyone also loves my mince pies - I use a sweet shortcrust with clementine zest incorporated.
    I think we should count steak and kidney puddings as pies - I love suet pastry - its so easy and so delicious.

emerald52 and BelleDuJour like this.
  7. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Nigella recommends putting pastry ingredients into the freezer for 10 minutes before processing. Works for me.

My favourite pie is turkey and leek. Roll on Christmas so I can stock the freezer up again. Steak, Madeira and wild mushroom is up there too.

8. bizent

bizent Star commenter

Chicken and bacon all the way for me. I’ve recently added in leeks which has really improved the flavour.

I buy puff pastry for the lid because life is just too short! Anyway, Nigella says it’s ok so I’m fine with that.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  9. BelleDuJour

We had chicken, pancetta, leek and mushroom pie today. It was stunning! I made flakey pastry which, IMO, is a far nicer topping than puff pastry and is much quicker tto make.
    I find pastry making very theraputic so would not buy it myself.
    The filling was the meat from the two chickens I jointed and roasted yesterday. The remains, wing tips and backbones, were put into a pot with leeks, onion, carrots, bay, thyme, parsley and peppercorns then slow cooked for 24 hours in the aga to producethe most unctious, rich, flavoursome stock that I used in the filling (with a little double cream) and for the gravy. The result was quite sublime!
    I don't know why, but slow cooking in the aga produces something so much more superior to any other slow cooker it doesn't even bear comparison.
    I am now fully satiated after bubbles, pinot noir, pie and pud.

forthejoyofit likes this.
  10. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

There is magic to the word pie. If only pastry didn't give me heartburn. Still, that's what nexium is for!

11. BelleDuJour

I'm making a pie this evening. Turkey, ham, leek and porcini.

12. bizent

bizent Star commenter

Went to the butchers yesterday and they had lamb with mint and coriander. One of the chaps that works there seems to be able to sell me anything and I always leave with a lot more than when C goes in!
    We will be having that on Friday with mash.

13. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

People with hot hands - you need one of these! For years I couldn't make decent pastry at all, despite generally being a fairly competent cook, and I couldn't figure out what was going wrong. I bought one of these purely because it seemed easier than rubbing in butter by hand, and suddenly my pastry turned out beautifully every time. It revolutionised my cooking!

nick909 likes this.
  14. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Any suggestions for a hare pie?

15. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

16. BelleDuJour

Had one of those years ago!
    Use my food processor now.

17. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Pastry is my nemesis so I'll try anything!

BelleDuJour likes this.
  18. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Tomorrow, it'll be hare pie. No details yet. Got to think. Any suggestions?

19. bombaysapphire

My top tip is to weigh out the ingredients, cut up or grate the butter, then put them into the freezer for 10 minutes before using the mixed or food processor to do the rubbing in.

nizebaby likes this.
  20. bombaysapphire

Similar flavours to what you would use with venison? Lots of softened onions and flavour with juniper berries?

nizebaby likes this.