1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The PGCE... Is it really worth it?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by djaye14, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Hi there,
    I have just got myself a place on a Primary PGCE course for 2012/13. I am so excited and cannot wait to begin as teaching is what I (think) I have wanted to do for a long time.
    I've started to move away from the 'prospective teacher forums' on here and come towards the 'student teacher' ones now as I look towards starting. However, I have to say this forum has dampened my mood a little and has made me apprehensive in starting.
    About 75% of the topics on the front page alone are VERY negative regarding the PGCE. Things like:
    - Not getting help/ Not getting on with mentors
    - Being bullied on placement by staff/children
    - Wanting to quit and being happy to!!
    - Not passing placements/failing the entire course
    I just want to ask - is it HONESTLY that bad?
    It's made me feel totally negative about the whole thing, when I was so so excited about starting.
    I have been told it is very very intense and I would like to think my degree has started to prepare me for this. I'm also ultimately determined and I don't give up very easily - so I would like to think I'll be ok!!
    Someone, please restore my faith in thinking my PGCE will be enjoyable (if only at times!) and worth the money and time!

2. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

People tend only to post when things are going badly. This forum is not likely to be fully representative. Best wishes.

3. Well I have the attributes I feel that will help me -

- I am organised and I LOVE being organised. I reckon creating lesson plans will excite me!
    - I am so determined. I don't give up very easily and I stick at anything!

I can get stressed though and it can get to me really bad, so I'm concerned about that. There have been a few times during my degree I have got so stressed and been reduced to tears and want to quit, but my determination to be a teacher has pulled me through! So I'd like to think I'd be ok??
    And Alliandra I know what you're saying - when doing my experience I used to come out of my classroom which such a big smile on my face, so I would like to think I am going to enjoy it!
    Thanks everyone for keeping my spirts high!

4. The problem is on the PGCE you're up and down all the time, and when you're down, you're REALLY down. I'm not going to lie, the PGCE is a monster, and I say that in a good mood. But it is also exhilarating, and despite just how much **** you have to go through, the job still makes me smile and you sort of have to see the light at the end of the tunnel and push through it. If you're strong enough, you will, just like every single teacher has done that is out there doing it. Kids either make you want to laugh or cry, and there's something addictive about that. I don't know. My best advice to you is that if teaching really is for you, the PGCE will be worth it and you will stick at it. It's a hard year but you find that the down moments will really tell you if it is what you want.

5. MizUnderstood

MizUnderstood New commenter

It isn't representative at all, as the others have said people who have things to complain about tend to air their grievances.

I am loving the experience MOST of the time, however, I thought gaining my degree (with OU) whilst working full time and raising a family would prepare me. I have been used to train others on time-management in the past yet there have been times on this course that I've really felt the pressure. Last week I had panic attacks for the first time in about 7 years, thankfully it lasted only a couple of days but it really upset me that it's clearly getting to me physically at the moment even though I didn't feel overly stressed.

My problem is never my organisation, my files are top notch, I get good results, my lessons are well planned and I'm not staying up late every night just to do this like some others on my course (by the way it swallows up as much time as you allow it to so make sure you are reasonable with yourself, set time limits and stick to them). I've just had a brilliant end of term report but physically I feel like I am clawing my way to the Easter holidays, I am totally and utterly drained and have never felt like this before EVER!

However, as I said at the start I am LOVING the course, it's just been a hectic term for our work load and I think I've just given everything I can, leaving me with nothing for the next few days...thankfully the Easter hols will recharge my batteries and I know I will storm my final placement as I know I am a good teacher...even if at the moment it hurts to open my eyes!!

ENJOY IT, it's fab, just be aware that it can catch you in ways you never expected! xxx

6. MizUnderstood

MizUnderstood New commenter

Google chrome has removed my paragraphing....sorry that's now really hard to read through!

7. By what you have both said it seems I will feel the pressue at times! But I feel I've got some good qualities that will help me through it! (Organisation, determination etc!)
    Thanks for your input!