1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The perfect rucking and mauling lesson

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by machadingding, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Hi guys

It's cheeky I know, but was wondering if anyone would share with me (or do an exchange) of a lesson plan that they may have for rucking, covering from the basics, tackling moving onto rucking and mauling in a game situation. I'm being observed by a rugby expert, so the better the progressions, more advice and input the better

It's a year 8 class, mixed ability, did rugby for a few weeks in the previous year.

2. Hi guys

It's cheeky I know, but was wondering if anyone would share with me (or do an exchange) of a lesson plan that they may have for rucking, covering from the basics, tackling moving onto rucking and mauling in a game situation. I'm being observed by a rugby expert, so the better the progressions, more advice and input the better

It's a year 8 class, mixed ability, did rugby for a few weeks in the previous year.

3. Hi - Check out our resource or go to :

http://www.teachpe.com/rugby/index.php

We've got some films on there which should help - they were designed by rugby coaches and rugby teachers.

Hope this helps!

Daniel
    TeachPE.com

4. Blimey, that's tough. I would split the group, ask the expert if he wants to take the advanced or learner group!
    There are a host of 'groups of four' maul and ruck drills which for young players are very gradually progressive. The 'Horan drills' are good (there are 12, I think, but 3 or 4 are maul/ruck focused), but this is a tough task, especially if rugby isn't one of your sports.

5. Also, rucking and mauling in one lesson?
    I would take a few lessons to cover one and a few to cover the other, then expalin that it is the ball carrier's option to do either in a given situation with communication from team mates.
    This is one tough lesson you have to do.
    Good luck!

6. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

Ditto what that man said [​IMG]
    Who has said you need to do both in the same lesson? if it is you who has decided, then I would suggest you scale down your expectations. If it is somebody else (the 'Rugby expert'?) then I would ask them how they might do it/ask for ideas. Ask them exactly how much they are expecting you to cover in the single lesson.
    Doesn't your school already have lesson plans for this? Doesn't the 'Rugby expert' who is observing you, have any?
    Also year 8, having done only a few weeks last year, will not have the ability/experience to do anything too complex.
    Key principles - Keep it simple, small group work, make it fun, regular brief plenaries