1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Perfect Bacon Butty

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by nick909, Mar 12, 2012.

1. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Following on from the travesty of a bacon sandwich that Bethannie laments on the food myth thread:
    What's the perfect bacon sandwich? What do you consider the ultimate in salty sliced porcine pleasure twixt two slices of bread? Brown or white? To butter or not to butter? Brown, red or not at all?
    Putting a philosophical context into it all; if you put an egg in a bacon butty, is it still a bacon butty? Nice as a slice of avodaco is in a bacon sandwich, does this still count? I fear controversy will be rife on this thread.
    I'm aware that wars have started over lesser issues, but this is important stuff.
    Anyway, mine:
    - Best bacon affordable/available. Dry-cured is good, brine-cured isn't the devil unless it's the pumped stuff that shrinks into a pool of salty white gunk in the pan. I will have smoked/unsmoked, back/streaky, depending on my mood, but the norm is lightly smoked, thick sliced streaky. Fried in a lightly oiled pan until just crispy. IMPORTANT- the ratio of bacon to bread is crucial. At least 3 slices of back per standard sandwich (preferably 4), at least 5 slices of streaky (preferably 6). A stingy bacon butty is no friend of mine
    - White bread. Preferably 'plastic' factory bread. Multi-grain or wholemeal are wrong-diddly-wrong-wrong-wrong.
    - Butter on one piece of bread. The unbuttered bread will soak up the bacon fat in the pan and form the base of the sandwich. The buttered side will go on top so the fat melts through the sandwich.
    - Sauce: red, a tiny, tiny smear.

Yours?

Oh, and can we agree that fake bacon has no place on this thread please? [​IMG]

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Following on from the travesty of a bacon sandwich that Bethannie laments on the food myth thread:
    What's the perfect bacon sandwich? What do you consider the ultimate in salty sliced porcine pleasure twixt two slices of bread? Brown or white? To butter or not to butter? Brown, red or not at all?
    Putting a philosophical context into it all; if you put an egg in a bacon butty, is it still a bacon butty? Nice as a slice of avodaco is in a bacon sandwich, does this still count? I fear controversy will be rife on this thread.
    I'm aware that wars have started over lesser issues, but this is important stuff.
    Anyway, mine:
    - Best bacon affordable/available. Dry-cured is good, brine-cured isn't the devil unless it's the pumped stuff that shrinks into a pool of salty white gunk in the pan. I will have smoked/unsmoked, back/streaky, depending on my mood, but the norm is lightly smoked, thick sliced streaky. Fried in a lightly oiled pan until just crispy. IMPORTANT- the ratio of bacon to bread is crucial. At least 3 slices of back per standard sandwich (preferably 4), at least 5 slices of streaky (preferably 6). A stingy bacon butty is no friend of mine
    - White bread. Preferably 'plastic' factory bread. Multi-grain or wholemeal are wrong-diddly-wrong-wrong-wrong.
    - Butter on one piece of bread. The unbuttered bread will soak up the bacon fat in the pan and form the base of the sandwich. The buttered side will go on top so the fat melts through the sandwich.
    - Sauce: red, a tiny, tiny smear.

Yours?

Oh, and can we agree that fake bacon has no place on this thread please? [​IMG]

3. Oh God......I want that....Right now!

4. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

Smoked back bacon, dry fried or griddled till crisp. Remove and keep warm. About three slices of bacon for a sandwich.
    Put Genius gluten free seeded bread (you can keep the brown and white!) into the same pan to soak up the bacon fat.
    Tomato please on the side, so I can have as much or as little as I want with a mouthful.
    Strong builders to drink.
    And someone else to wash up afterwards!
    I usually get the bacon from Uncle Henry's Farm Shop half way ish between Lincoln and Scunthorpe - they breed their own free range pigs, then cure the bacon. A happy pig = a lovely bacon sandwich.
    And Nick ... it's meant to be meat free Monday in our house and you've got me lusting after a bacon sarnie now!

5. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

White bread.
    Butter - this is a treat, not an everday sandwich - and I love the flavour of sizzling-bacon-melted-butter. (Please note: <u>BUTTER</u>)
    Bacon - please folks....those of you who are unsure on these important issues....buy your bacon from a butcher! All bacon is not the same! Flirty butcher would never sell you bacon without asking what you wanted it for....and if it was for a sarnie he asked how you liked your bacon - extra crispy?...A little chewy?...would you be adding an egg? or a sausage? (I do a nice line in thick meaty sausages love *wink*)....and give you the prefect rashers for your treat......the bacon should be added generously...there should be a little poking out the edges of the bread.
    Egg - up to the individual - I'm partial to an egg'n'bacon butty....but there are two rules....the egg must be fried in the bacon fat....and the yolk must be runny.
    Sauce - for me, it has to be brown, but I won;t moan if you want a dollop of ketchup instead.
    Served with a mug of tea. Not a cup and saucer. Certainly not a styrofoam beaker!. A mug.

6. henriette

henriette New commenter

The bacon sandwich described in Beth's post on the other thread sounds rather good to me, but for lunch, not as a breakfast substitute!
    My ideal "breakfast" bacon sarnie would be:
    Bread : best quality, either white or brown (both good), toasted on one side only (the outside)
    Butter: definitely - unsalted for preference, one piece only, other piece used to soak up the bacon juices/fat
    Bacon: smoked, please; either back or streaky; cooked till crispy
    Sauce: Lea & Perrins
    Drink: good strong black coffee with lots of sugar.

7. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Never, ever sliced bread but 2 thick handcut slices of a white loaf. Butter, sometimes, but usually no, streaky bacon fried till very crisp or back bacon fried till the fat is crisp. No sauce just the bacon and bread together.
    I love sliced avocado in it, a habit I picked up in Cape Town!

8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Has to be white, cotton wool bread (the only use for it, apart from hot buttered toast where it's pretty good, or making melba toast).
    Dry cured bacon, preferably back, and cooked until fat just starting to brown and crisp.
    Either butter of wipe the bread around the bacon fat in the pan.
    Good dollop of brown sauce.
    And, the perfect accompaniment................a big, steaming mug of builder's tea!

9. There's no bacon in my fridge......[​IMG]

10. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I'm with you on the slight smear of ketchup. Too much I can get a tang of sugar and vinegar and I want to taste bacon.
    It has to be unsmoked back bacon from the butcher. Thick slabs so two is enough per sandwich. Grilled until the fat is really, really crispy. No butter needed on this. I'll have a slice of bread and butter afterwards so I can really enjoy both.
    White bread from the local bakers. Cut thick but not doorstops. This is all about the bacon.
    All to be enjoyed for an early lunch after a walk into town to buy the ingredients. That's what weekends are all about!

11. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Proper unsmoked streaky bacon from butcher on buttered seeded bread from the bakery close to our house. Red or brown depends on the mood but if its red I like a good shake of vinegar over the bacon.

12. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

There is no way in the world I would enjoy a bacon sandwich in **** white bread. I'll make a small exception if it's in a crusty white roll, and I'm talking crusty here. The rolls you need to eat shortly after they been baked.
    As for extras, I'm more than happy with some fried tomato. Chilli sauce is good too.
    And those that cook bacon so it's crispy have no idea how to enjoy a bacon sandwich. It might be the best thing a salad had but it has no place in a bacon sandwich.
    I'll continue my rant by asking if the inventor of the BLT ever passed a sanity test. Has anyone ever worked out the enjoyment factor in eating cold bacon amongst wet lettuce and uncooked tomato slices? Even I could do better, and all I am, is chef to my wife, dog and occasional visitors

13. I'll eat it however you make it....[​IMG]

14. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I would suggest that it's you who has no idea how to cook bacon, sir.
    Floppy bacon with undercooked fat is revolting. Lightly crisp is key; not so crisp it shatters into shards.
    The BLT is a thing of joy, done properly. For lunch though, not breakfast, and homecooked - not from a plastic packet.

15. BelleDuJour

Absolutely.
    And in the absence of blotting paper white bread, a soft, floury bap is perfect and has the added bonus of being able to cram an obscene amount of bacon into it.

16. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

back bacon dry fried until crispy, then fry one side of the bread (white plastic loaf) in the bacon fat until brown. No butter, no sauce (HP permissible if others wish), and I disagree with the number of rashers most are recommending. Has to be at least five per sandwich, preferably six.

The other great one over here is the bacon sausage. A rather meaty sausage made from chopped up bacon bits. Stick it on a braai until crisp on the outside then eat either with the rest of the meat and salad or alternately as an appetiser in a hotdog roll!

17. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Did anyone see the item on the Breakfast News on BBC this morning?....For our health we should restrict our red meat intake to 'once a week' and processed meats to 'never'! The interviewer asked about bacon and was told 'it's processed - so some would say we should not be eating it at all....but I see no reason why it can;t be an occassional treat'.....'and how many rashers?' asked the interviewer.....'two....maybe just the one.'!!!!
    What sort of butty will two measly rashers make?!!!... I agree that for many people processed meat is consumed far too often....but I am <u>NOT</u> giving up bacon completely!....nor sausages!....and damn it, when I have my bacon and crushed/mashed swede dinner I am still going to pour the fat over the swedes!
    All things in moderation ....including bacon sandwiches!
    (Crispy for me too!)

18. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

No chance - at least I don't get the BBC breakfast show here, so meat continues to feature in the diet. I admit that I probably eat more than I'm supposed to, but what's wrong with a good juicy sirloin (fat trimmed off after cooking as it would be inedible - I like steak rare) with a salad and a jacket spud?
    If they try and get between me and my bacon, the health police better come prepared
    *wanders off singing 'The Harder They Come'

19. BelleDuJour

Me too!
    Now, venison is technically a red meat but also promoted as one of the healthiest meats. I'd rather eat wild venison than chicken pumped full of water and anitbiotics anyday.
    IMO this is all bad science. We're all going to die of something one day, and a diet that has too much red meat (like 3 meals a day) will be as unbalanced as a diet of pure lettuce.
    I'd like to see this evidence for sure, but I shall continue to eat red meat and bacon as part of a balanced diet.
    Oh, and they put sausages in the same catergory. Why? I mean, bacon is cured but a proper banger is not. A prpoer, British banger is fresh meat, some cereal, spices and herbs in a natural casing. What's 'wrong' with that?
    I despair!

20. bizent

bizent Star commenter

Oh now who is responsible for this??!! I am now craving a lovely bacon sandwich/roll with butter and ketchup. With butter of course. I do have to draw the line under dipping the bread in the fat, however!