1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The penny has dropped - computing is over-rated

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Twinklefoottoe, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Twinklefoottoe

Twinklefoottoe Senior commenter

https://www.tes.com/news/school-new...-spending-focus-away-computing-research-shows

It looks like I left teaching at just the right time! So much money poured into schools for so little noticeable return. More plain whiteboards and pens, textbooks, teaching assistants and behaviour psychologists in schools, less interactive whiteboards, suites of computers with bespoke furniture, tablets, computerised behaviour management systems and computer support departments, in my view. Back to basics. Now, another beer please, God it's hot here in Phuket. Ooo, look at that beautiful yacht!

2. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

It might have been even worse without those props .....

3. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Learning the difference between less and fewer?

Back to basics indeed.

johnberyl and monicabilongame like this.
  4. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Could this be because Computing is a less expensive subject? Creating a PowerPoint presentation requires expensive hardware and software, whereas you can learn about binary and Boolean logic with a pencil and paper.

Spending will also have fallen because schools needed to buy textbooks for the new subject last year, but now they've got them. And finally, of course, everything gets cheaper over time. This article doesn't really say anything about Computing or its importance.

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I often wonder what the Ancient Greeks would have thought if they had computers.Would they have achieved as much understanding as their writing out problems in the sand or on mud bricks?
    its a thought that such mighty civilisations existed in the world.all with out computers ..and sometimes without writing! yet our knowledge we have owes a lot to them.

6. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Computer science isn't thinking about computers, though, it's thinking about how other things work so that we might possibly get a computer to do them. One of things I teach my KS3 Computing students is syllogisms - something with which the Ancient Greeks would have been familiar.

7. oldsomeman

Maybe but they learn it without computers.if a ancient Greek child didn't learn were they not beaten seriously.Im my day it was a crack with a ruler or a well aimed chalk!:)

8. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Not much money went into my old school in the last few years. Little new stuff, round after round of redundancies, pay structure revision and the like. Now they're having to do capital works, I've heard rumours about playing field sell offs. Whether this will cover it is no longer my problem.
    I can't see programming appealing to many kids though.

9. oldsomeman

If you sell off all your capital what happens when it all gone,Do we go back to teaching them under trees and shanty huts....or is this the beginning of privatisation of all education in that only the rich can afford education....as used to be the way in days gone by of the 1800's.
    Soon we will be back to the older children teaching the young ones as they cant afford many teachers for the children.