1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The parents of six murdered two teenage sons-but should they have been charged with incest earlier?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Weald56, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

If I knew they were half-siblings, yes of course.

Not to mention the cruelty (already highlighted in other posts).

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

:)

And they are published as public documents so in due course anyone here interested will be able to find the full story.

3. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

They weren't living in the same road, let alone the same house:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-50388496
    South Yorkshire Police said Barrass, of Gregg House Road, Shiregreen, and Machin, of Burngreave Road, had been in a secret sexual relationship for years.

florian gassmann likes this.
  4. Rott Weiler

Good grief :eek:

Glad you aren't my neighbour.

5. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

I remember my midwife asking on my booking in form if I and my husband were related - consanguineous marriages are not uncommon where I live. But it was just a tick box. If you lie about it, who checks?
    How many families do you know where things seem not quite right, but you know that they are not quite bad enough to tip into social service involvement? That is probably what happened here. So sad, but the only truly guilty people are the ones in jail, not the 'system'.

6. Weald56

So you wouldn't report someone who had broken the law - a crime which can be punished by up to 7 years in prison?

As a teacher, I'd think it would be incumbent on one to report this, to be honest.

7. Rott Weiler

I certainly would not go around reporting what my (consenting adult) neighbours do in their bedrooms in case it breached some obscure law on sexual relationships. Gross nosey-parkerism, it's no-one else's business.

If I thought my neighbour was having sex with their child of course I would report it.

8. Weald56

They had six children; newspaper reports state that they were referred to as 'Mum & Dad' by the children. Hardly needed investigations into the bedroom!

The law of the land was broken. A serious law (up to 7 years imprisonment). And the children were abused. It certainly was their neighbours (& extended family's) business and should have been reported.

9. Rott Weiler

I wasn't talking about this couple - they didn't murder their children because 'mum and dad' were half-siblings. They murdered their children because they were evil people (or whatever the SCR eventually decides).

I asked about your neighbours in general, not whether child abuse should be reported (of course it should). Apparently you would report them to the police if you thought they were having consensual sex when they were half siblings. You call it your civic duty, I call it being a busybody.

Incidentally the maximum sentence for consenting adults (s64 Sexual Offences Act 2003) is 2 years, not 7, and the starting point is normally a fine.

nizebaby and nomad like this.
  10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Indeed it was.

Mind you, this is not necessarily the case across the whole of Europe.

[​IMG]

nizebaby likes this.
  11. Weald56

If accurate this is interesting (but totally irrelevant to the terrible case under discussion here).

12. Weald56

From the newspaper accounts they started when they were 16 (or perhaps younger), and I was referring to them specifically as they had children (6, in fact). Not cases in general.

But if children are involved, don't you think one should report it?

13. Rott Weiler

I've said in every post on this thread that if children are being abused of course it should be reported, and also said in every post that I am discussing reporting consenting adults.

14. Weald56

It's still illegal, even between consenting adults, of course. The relationship between the two murderers who committed this crime may have been consensual, but surely had it been reported and stopped as soon as it began, the outcome would have been much better. Any 'nosey-parkers' (as you put it) who had got involved would have done everyone (even the 2 murderers) a favour.