1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Pale Horse(BBC)

Discussion in 'Personal' started by HistoryEducator, Feb 17, 2020.

1. HistoryEducator

HistoryEducator Occasional commenter

Help please my brain hurts..........
    SPOILERS.........

Can anyone explain the end of the program?
    • He killed wife number 1
    • He tried to kill wife number 2
    • He bashed the other killer over the head and murdered him, then I got totally lost.
    Why were the 3 witches with wife 2?
    Did he die( the newspaper headlines)?

2. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

No idea! :D
    I didn't understand it either. :(

3. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Nope. Me neither. It wasn’t at all faithful to the book.

4. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I think he must have done- hence the photo in the paper.His hair was falling out, so must have had thalium.

5. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

A few suggestions

He did die. He was poisoned and haunted by guilt having murdered wife 1. The witches didn't curse but showed up at funeral as they recognised the names. They saw his memory of him killing wife 1 when he visited and told wife 2 ( the I'm awake line wasn't just she was conscious in hospital but also aware of what her husband was like. Not sure about any of this though.

LondonCanary likes this.
  6. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

This is how you do a spoiler
    Eight icon from left and use the flag on the drop down

7. HistoryEducator

He was told he had not been given enough of the poison to die.

8. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

It was a right Fred Karno's.

Very disappointing. So many unanswered questions.

9. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I didn't follow it..... tried re-watching 1st episode ...didn't engage with it and so paid little attention to no 2 but I didn't have a clue what was going on.

Disappointing.

10. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Glad it wasn’t just me; it made no sense at all. Haven’t read the book but not sure it would help.

11. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

There is a Wikipedia entry for the novel The Pale Horse which has a summary of the book. There is only a very loose connection to the BBC drama.
    Sara Phelps seems to produce screenplays that are based on an idea by Agatha Christie.
    (itv did similar with Rebus. Reading the book didn't mean you knew who did it or even who the victim was)

bombaysapphire and emerald52 like this.
  12. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Nope - just did not get it either but I will concede that it was beautiful to to look at

13. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

yes - totally confused.com

I really liked the setting and the clothes, cars, lifestyle portrayed.

However, I spent most of the 2 episodes trying to work out what was what and then, in the last 5 minutes, it threw an even bigger curve ball which left more questions than answers.
    Did he die in the end?
    What happened about him murdering the bespectacled poisoner?
    If he was being poisoned (his hair was falling out), who was poisoning him and how?
    Who poisoned the police detective and how?
    What was the relevance of his first wife putting the name and number of the bloke who lived in the village onto the leaflet?

I'm sure that some of these answers may have been obvious - but I missed them somewhere!

emerald52 likes this.
  14. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I was totally lost and gave up. Did my knitting instead.

emerald52 likes this.
  15. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

The book is perfectly straightforward. Why they have to mess with the narrative is beyond me.

16. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I've got it recorded but if it's that confusing I'm not going to bother watching.

17. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Nah!! Lost the plot half way through episode 2 and ended up watching football.

HistoryEducator likes this.
  18. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

So it wasn't a TV pearl for you then or are you spinning us a yarn?

19. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

We would have understood the plot better if it had been plain, rather than purl. (One groan worthy pun deserves another).

I gave up on trying to follow and understand the twists in the plot, and just enjoyed the period sets (I like doing this, as i pride myself on being able to spot anachronisms). I liked particularly the bespectacled poisoner's set of dreadful, crooked, broken, and rotten teeth, the like of which was not an uncommon sight, sixty odd years ago.

20. HistoryEducator

Just found out what the ending was, (I think)
    • The witches save wife number 2, you see them sat at her bedside
    • But unbeknown to Mark Easterbrook he thinks he has got away with all his murders
    • He has actually died (no idea if it was the poison) and he reads it in the newspaper
    • He is in purgatory as he has to relive his first wife's death over and over again
    • She was the only one he really loved
    Here it is in more detail
    https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a30959066/the-pale-horse-ending-explained/

bombaysapphire likes this.