1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The painfull job search goes on.....

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by artbot, May 2, 2012.

1. Hi everyone and Theo!
    I haven't posted for a while as we are VERY down (and too busy filling out 20 page application forms, everyday)at the moment-Its serious-its not going well (after all what we have done and with the QTS finally granted which should have been done in 2003 in the 1st place, we are taking about returning to OZ-(again-as we are starving and we could loose everything if we keep going on supply)-We have applied for 29 schools and obtained 4 interviews-so far this is what has happened:
    1. 1st interview: went well but class a bit disrupted but got them back-abit ambitious lesson-the job was given to a 1-2 year experienced teacher-(cheaper)She knew everyone-staff, head-I knew <u>NO ONE</u>-I have 10 years experince and a Masters....no real reason I failed.Head apoligized...
    2. 2nd interview:-its was a circus as I have already told u-awful-ridiculous-a series of different tasks-like The Appentice -not acceptable-never again....said I said negative things about the teaching profession, which I didn't-I said its a hard job and there is not much time to do real teaching-Go figure that! It was just an excuse not to appoint.
    3. 3rd interview:-3 positions-one an internal-Again ALL other candidates knew everyone-One even went there as a child!! lesson was judged "satisfactory"-no good-and I looked at Teacher TV who did a VERY similiar lesson that I did which was deemed "Very Good"-I presume judged on Ofsted criteria? Is that the criteria proforma they use?? If I cat get x3 jobs with only 6 candidates how will I go for now on with only x1 job and 8 candidates?????!!
    And I have an interview on this Thursday but feeling what will go wrong this time?-Will the other candidates know the staff again-have they already got someone in the job(internal)I dont like saying that but I am getting upset and down and further down-I am a good teacher but no on else thinks so......is it so hopeless......should we stop?
    I appreciate the help on this forum particularly Theo but we are weary and not really getting there-and unless this changes we will be forced back (again-even though none of us like Australia-atleast we will survive and the British weather is appalling which is NOT helping) as the schools have:
    1.TOO much choice,
    2. there is TOO many applicants and
    3. the recession and costs of living here (x3 the amount of Australia)
    Is this worth continuing? Up all hours of the night, worrying about the mortgage every month-and not to mention lossing &pound;3000 pounds over the summer- we somehow have to find because the wages on supply is NOT covering the holidays and down goes the acoount-I fear the holidays.........
    Mrs Artbot
    ps Mr Artbot is trying but without the PGCE-hopeless again -we were promised by the agencies that we would have work for BOTH of us but its not happening-

2. Hi everyone and Theo!
    I haven't posted for a while as we are VERY down (and too busy filling out 20 page application forms, everyday)at the moment-Its serious-its not going well (after all what we have done and with the QTS finally granted which should have been done in 2003 in the 1st place, we are taking about returning to OZ-(again-as we are starving and we could loose everything if we keep going on supply)-We have applied for 29 schools and obtained 4 interviews-so far this is what has happened:
    1. 1st interview: went well but class a bit disrupted but got them back-abit ambitious lesson-the job was given to a 1-2 year experienced teacher-(cheaper)She knew everyone-staff, head-I knew <u>NO ONE</u>-I have 10 years experince and a Masters....no real reason I failed.Head apoligized...
    2. 2nd interview:-its was a circus as I have already told u-awful-ridiculous-a series of different tasks-like The Appentice -not acceptable-never again....said I said negative things about the teaching profession, which I didn't-I said its a hard job and there is not much time to do real teaching-Go figure that! It was just an excuse not to appoint.
    3. 3rd interview:-3 positions-one an internal-Again ALL other candidates knew everyone-One even went there as a child!! lesson was judged "satisfactory"-no good-and I looked at Teacher TV who did a VERY similiar lesson that I did which was deemed "Very Good"-I presume judged on Ofsted criteria? Is that the criteria proforma they use?? If I cat get x3 jobs with only 6 candidates how will I go for now on with only x1 job and 8 candidates?????!!
    And I have an interview on this Thursday but feeling what will go wrong this time?-Will the other candidates know the staff again-have they already got someone in the job(internal)I dont like saying that but I am getting upset and down and further down-I am a good teacher but no on else thinks so......is it so hopeless......should we stop?
    I appreciate the help on this forum particularly Theo but we are weary and not really getting there-and unless this changes we will be forced back (again-even though none of us like Australia-atleast we will survive and the British weather is appalling which is NOT helping) as the schools have:
    1.TOO much choice,
    2. there is TOO many applicants and
    3. the recession and costs of living here (x3 the amount of Australia)
    Is this worth continuing? Up all hours of the night, worrying about the mortgage every month-and not to mention lossing &pound;3000 pounds over the summer- we somehow have to find because the wages on supply is NOT covering the holidays and down goes the acoount-I fear the holidays.........
    Mrs Artbot
    ps Mr Artbot is trying but without the PGCE-hopeless again -we were promised by the agencies that we would have work for BOTH of us but its not happening-

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Firstly artbot
    29 applications resulting in 4 interviews is a <u>very good</u> percentage! Especially, as you point out, with the number of applications these days.
    So you seem to have taken on board some of the advice and <u>are</u> getting interviews- noticed you have one soon to which I've replied.
    So take another look at the interview tips in the 'pinned thread' Welcome - Jobseeking FAQs - Apply and get shortlisted - Interview...
    I know as an experience teacher, who may well remember what teaching 'used to be like', you may feel 'not much teaching is being done these days', but not the best opinion to even have in the back of your mind at an interview-it may come over in your body language etc. Teaching is taking place, but the ground rules have changed and we have to change with them or give up our pre-conceived ideas of 'how to learn'. Remember our focus, what drove us into teaching in the first place- the children.They, and society have changed and we need to adapt to the new needs in education.
    Yes, know full well how dire supply is (haven't personally had a single phone call this entire year!) and when one has been out of the classroom for a while it is difficult to get back into gear. However that's what you need to do.
    Hope what I've said hasn't come over as too harsh- I genuinely hope it may be of some help.

4. Not too harsh at all-Yes, it looks as if we have got the application area is good shape(at last)-Its the pressure knowing we have just one wage coming in and my school has said dont come back in september when we thought I would be contracted-so the agency "lied" about it-saying " I would be very surprised if you didn't get contarcted" (Agency got the job for us) but if u look at it closely, he actually didn't say anything!! This has sent us in a panic....and if we dont obtain a position its Oz bound as we kow we can survive there and might even get employment-The problem is we hate the place, even though I was born there and lived there-If it had lovely people like yourselves and Theo we wouldn't have left in the first place.
    I will relook at the thread but its the lesson that letting us down.... and we haven't lomg to work it out in time.

5. I am surprise that you say you hate the place. I have only heard positive things from people who have lived there.

6. Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-US
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-qformat:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
    mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
    line-height:115%;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

I dont
    really want to go into it-Its the attitude-arrogant, ignorance-self
    opinionated, funny upspeak talking, argumentive, "pommie bashing",
    false pride, look at the cricket-see what Ian botham thinks-The fiercely
    patriotic Botham objected to the Pommie-bashing comments of passionate
    republican Chappell,

RACIST....

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-1336280/ASHES-2010-Ian-Botham-Ian-Chappell-new-bust-up.html#ixzz1thxY976j

Read 10
    pound pom book:

SEE
    http://www.history.ac.uk/reviews/review/494

lived there
    for 38 years so I should know.....

40% of
    english comeback to the UK-why is there so many australians here if its so
    good??

we DONT want
    to go back to that....

Do I really
    need to go on? I mean if we are forced to go back due to starvation (with no
    employment here in the UK) the aussies are the least of our worries.... we will
    have to ignore them, retire and come back to europe-I mean this is awful
    -England is so hard-cant even get the aussie pension here but we can in
    Spain-do people know that? no NI contribution (only 8 years so what about the
    UK pension-u need 30 years contributions-who&rsquo;s idea is that-no superannuation
    either-will starve as pensioners-so just delaying the inevitable-not god is
    this, is it?

why is the
    UK so hard? why do we feel we are still "in the war"-why is there no money-why
    is austerity the only trick england do? why is there so much poverty? deprived
    areas-no such thing in australia or atleast not nearly as much-sure there is
    poverty especially the aboriginals but it seems better-certainly looks
    better-here it is the glass ceiling and rules there it is the tall poppy and
    bring u down-both places no good-where can we go?? USA????? What?

and the
    weather gosh its bad really bad but thats the least of our worries and
    australia is easier, no doubt -cheaper bills, better housing, better weather.
    But harder due to their threatening nature,,,,we feel unsafe.....

we might not
    win this one....

Back to job search-as u see we have alot to loose and we wont giveup until we have exhausted all possibilies.....how long...good question....

7. I dont
    really want to go into it-Its the attitude-arrogant, ignorance-self
    opinionated, funny upspeak talking, argumentive, "pommie bashing",
    false pride, look at the cricket-see what Ian botham thinks-The fiercely
    patriotic Botham objected to the Pommie-bashing comments of passionate
    republican Chappell,

RACIST....

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-1336280/ASHES-2010-Ian-Botham-Ian-Chappell-new-bust-up.html#ixzz1thxY976j

Read 10
    pound pom book:

SEE
    http://www.history.ac.uk/reviews/review/494

lived there
    for 38 years so I should know.....

40% of
    english comeback to the UK-why is there so many australians here if its so
    good??

we DONT want
    to go back to that....

Do I really
    need to go on? I mean if we are forced to go back due to starvation (with no
    employment here in the UK) the aussies are the least of our worries.... we will
    have to ignore them, retire and come back to europe-I mean this is awful
    -England is so hard-cant even get the aussie pension here but we can in
    Spain-do people know that? no NI contribution (only 8 years so what about the
    UK pension-u need 30 years contributions-who&rsquo;s idea is that-no superannuation
    either-will starve as pensioners-so just delaying the inevitable-not good is
    this, is it? Impossible?? in this economic climate-didn't even get into uni here-had to apply to australia-just sent the degrees in and wham in-would that happen in the UK? so there is our dilema!
    NOT from the UK to survive or once again we will be considered outsiders....(again)or will be labelled "poms"..
    let me practice: Mate mate shella, sheel be right, lucky country, raise word at end of EVERY sentence, austraya, scool, beautee,woose, I feel back aleady LOL!.......
    BUT.....

why is the
    UK so hard? why do we feel we are still "in the war"-why is there no money-why
    is austerity the only trick england do? why are thigs so expensive-where does the money go? why do we vote when NOTHING happens? why? why is there so much poverty? deprived
    areas-no such thing in australia or atleast not nearly as much-sure there is
    poverty especially the aboriginals but it <i style="font-weight:bold;">seems[/i] better-certainly looks
    better-here it is the glass ceiling and rules there it is the tall poppy and
    bring u down-both places no good-where can we go?? USA????? What?

and the
    weather gosh its bad really bad but thats the least of our worries and
    australia is hot very hot 46C some summer days,,bushfires, flies...it is easier, no doubt -cheaper bills, better housing, better weather.
    But harder due to their threatening nature,,,,we feel unsafe.....lower no respect and DARE u complain-whinging pom then-and the government I just laugh...atleast Cameron makes sense and they are sooooo polite,,,
    Havig said that we love england and its home which makes this sooooo frustrating.....we wish it was easier but its not and we might have to accept this...we also have a family so any decision cant be taken lightly-worried about daughter getting into uni and the fees-it would be HECS_HELP in australia which means there are fees but it doesn't need to be paid back till earning $35,000 i think..so its sort of free but not atleast its not 6 years study only 3 with 1/2 the cost!

we might not
    win this one....

Back to job search-as u see we have alot to
    loose and we wont give up until we have exhausted all possibilities.....how
    long do we do this for..good question....!!!!

sorry for long post but there is alot of issues....