1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The owl who was afraid of the dark resources

Discussion in 'Primary' started by shelia, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Hi, I am doing this book as a book study. I am currently looking for resources to go along with the book does anyone have any ideas or lessons they could add. Our school pack was rather bland and i dont think the children will get much enjoyment from it. Thank you. x x x

2. Hi, I am doing this book as a book study. I am currently looking for resources to go along with the book does anyone have any ideas or lessons they could add. Our school pack was rather bland and i dont think the children will get much enjoyment from it. Thank you. x x x

3. Thank you ulmger, i have that one already but thank you very much. I goggled also and found the odd thing but not much. Going to make a few things myself i think. Thanks anyway. x x x

4. Thank you eveyonehis has been very helpful. If i find anything else i'll pot it on here x x x

5. EBD35

EBD35 Occasional commenter

you should have mail soon...big file taking time to send

6. Poppy1978

Poppy1978 New commenter

7. I know there is the CD read by Maureen Lipman as I have just replaced a very well word tape. My own children adore it (ergo worn out tape!)
    It is a fabluous resource, last year we did a mime and art based on feathers, had a visit to an owl sanctuary, wrote our own stories (the horse who was scared to jump etc - they were fabulous at this), made clay snowy owls, did owl shape poetry, did sewing of individual felt feathers which we stuck on to a bottle filled with sand to make a class owl. It was fab. I am year 3 and I hope I can fit it to the new framework next term!

8. Wow thank you very much, so many ideas. seemeafter your ideas were fab, can you explain more about the sewing lesson with feathers? Would like to try this but didn't quite understand. Thanks x

9. bit vague but i'm sure bev evans has some stuff on her site- can't rmembr site address though... perhaps someone else can help?

10. Very simple really = they cut out feather shapes in owl colours (browns, whites and greys). Then using simple stitches, in a contrasting colour, they sewed on a pattern (bit like the veins of a leaf). As they had studied feathers in art they were remarkably creative and added knots and some did thicker cotton/wool for the middle stem. It is hard to explain but then you stick tehm on a bottle and just add a couple of big felt eyes, some flat felt strips to go over the neck of the bottle and top and it looks fantastic, honest! They could do it while they were listening to the CD!
    I have to say I wish I had a bit of paper as writing instructions is a challenge - mmm just taught that one as well!

11. Hi Poppy,

I would be really interested to view your presentation if possible?

Thanks
    Jane