1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The 'online goddess' who earns $450k a year

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Trendy Art, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Star commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/magazine-40973529/lele-tao-the-online-goddess-who-earns-450k-a-year

Just watched this interesting online mini-series about China's internet showgirls. It is not as seedy as this may suggest, but in fact for me, shows quite a sad story. Without giving too much away, Lele Tao starts performing online over the Internet to her 1 million fans and it tells of how she came into the industry.

While I was watching it, I was thinking how vacuous this form of entertainment was but then it's big business due to the cultural association behind it in China.

What's most poignant to me, was the relationships on many levels - or lack thereof - that makes the fantasy far more appealing than reality.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

At least she keeps her clothes on

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I listened to a radio programme about her and some of her "fans" - it's quite sad really.

4. Trendy Art

The only authentic thing seems to be her parents who would like her to fall in love, get married and settle down. But she is trapped in not feeling pretty enough and getting all of this attention, which stops her from having a relationship.

While the money she earns is significant and she can live a life of luxury, deep down it is what others think of her that is the real issue and that she has such low self-esteem is the greatest tragedy. There will be a time when it all comes grinding to a halt.

Laphroig likes this.
  5. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

One of my former students starting posting videos on Youtube while at Uni. They were very funny and soon he had a large teenage following. A media career on TV, radio and print has ensued. He has yet to finish his degree.

6. Trendy Art

At this rate @emerald52 he doesn't need to! Good for him.

emerald52 likes this.
  7. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Exploitation: whether it's legal, or unethical, numerous individuals are prepared to endure this to make - at least - sound financial gains.

8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Nobody would follow me.

george1963 and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  9. Wonderluster321_

Wonderluster321_ New commenter

Sounds like a very talented individual to make that much money; that is incredible

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Shadowy men hired by forces unknown will always follow you.

racroesus likes this.
  11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

They'd get pretty bored if they followed me

12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Beeb 4 ran a Storyville documentary recently called 'Tokyo Girls' about the groups of young Japanese teenage and pre-teenage girls who perform song and dance routines live on stage as 'idols' for their multitudes of adoring fans. Many of their fans are (needless to say) lonely geeky single men who are quite a lot older than the performers. This Guardian report sums it up well:

“Their selling point,” said one man at a performance by a band made up of young girls, “is that they’re not fully developed. If they were older, they wouldn’t interest me.” I suppose you could congratulate him on his honesty as you threw him into a pit.

A money-spinning culture both disturbing an nauseating, not least for its complete disconnection between fantasy and reality.

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

They don't follow me; they're always there when I arrive.

lanokia likes this.
  14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

The tracking chip gives you away.

racroesus likes this.