1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Oldham by-election

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Sid_Pubes, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Sid_Pubes

Sid_Pubes Senior commenter

It interests me that no thread has appeared about this - perhaps because the result was so sharply at odds with the media narrative of the last six months to the effect that the Labour Party led by Jeremy Corbyn is unable to win at draughts, let alone at an election.

It seems to me that the Labour victory

• discomfited the Labour right because it denied their contention that Corbyn is electoral poison
    • baffled the Tories because they didn't think they needed to make any electoral effort and as a result were the victims [as so often] of their complacent self-regard
    • showed that UKIP once again is more liable to split the Tory vote instead of splitting the Labour vote, in yet another electoral humiliation proving once more that Single Issue Fanatics are too stupid to build a credible and intelligible political party. It was richly entertaining to see Farage resorting to accusations of electoral fraud to explain this humiliation. He would have done better to have listened to Jane Collins' bowel-looseningly inept performance on Any Questions last Friday: not only did she fail to conceal her stupidity, but also she seemed to think that it did her credit. Thank God that, as an MEP, she can do no harm to this country
    • confirmed to the Lib Dems that they are now finished for good and all. A fitting fate for a party started originally to betray Labour principles and which ended by betraying its own

All in all an intriguing event which seems to have received less than its fair share of forum attention.

lexus300 and HelenREMfan like this.
  2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

3. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

Though strangely, certain posts have vanished from that thread so it doesn't really make sense any more ?

4. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

It is strangely quiet. I wonder why?:(

5. Grabthar

Grabthar Established commenter

'Coz there is nothing to say, just off the top of my head?

6. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

I don't think Corbyn can make any assumptions based on the result. It was a by-election - voter numbers were down. Jim McMahon is a popular, high-profile, local figure. Its not impossible that voters might have voted for the man rather than the party - and I'm sure I read that he supported Liz Kendall, not Jeremy Corbyn, in the leadership election.

7. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

"It's", of course - too late to edit.

8. Biles

Biles Established commenter

It was noteworthy inthe Oldham campaign that Corbyn made only 1 brief visit and was kept out of the limelight. In the event the popular local Labour candidate defended a safe Labour seat. If Labour wish to form a government, it's not enough to retain safe and marginal seats. They need to win Conservative held seats

9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

There was a thread. I posted on it.

Yes, the seat here is now Tory but was Labour under Blair. I think it's winnable by Labour. We shall see.

10. Biles

Biles Established commenter

You think those labour voters who deserted Brown and Milliband for Cameron can be eniticed back by Corbyn?

11. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Nothing to say after they had effectively written Labour off?
    No bias, at all!

12. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Probably not.