1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The oldest depiction of Christmas in art

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Johnny_Bluenote, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Johnny_Bluenote

Johnny_Bluenote Occasional commenter

[​IMG]

This is a photo of a cast of a sarcophagus that is in the Vatican museums. It shows the scene of the Magi adoring the Christ child and is dated to the 3rd century. I find it very impressive.

2. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

I love the depiction of the Magi. They're approaching the Christ child at speed!

3. By_the_Shiny_Brook

By_the_Shiny_Brook Established commenter

4. Johnny_Bluenote

Yes indeed. Hadn't really noticed that Cuteinpuce. The quality of the brushwork is superb. Picasso would surely have admired this. If only our leading contemporary artists such as Tracy Emin could draw/paint like this!

5. Johnny_Bluenote

Wishing you a glorious Christmas Sir Henry. Great to see you back on here.

Grunwald also returning would make my day.

6. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

It's an incised image, not painted.

coffeekid likes this.
  7. Johnny_Bluenote

No I don't think it is. The original image on the sarcophagus has been drawn with some form of pigment.. The confidence in the brushstrokes is astonishing. As I said, Picasso would have been greatly impressed.

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Why's Joseph throwing a kung fu star at the Magi? Seems a bit unwelcoming. "No we don't want your bloody frankincense - try getting him a rattle".

The hand on the figure on the left looks more Bayeux Tapestry era to me - I hope the Vatican had a good provenance for it. On the plus side they do have some good stuff in their museum.

9. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

No, the image you posted is a cast of the original carved image with added colour. The original was not drawn, it was carved. It's analysed extensively on the internet if you'd like to check for yourself.

coffeekid likes this.
  10. Johnny_Bluenote

Okay, I won't check - I defer to your superior knowledge here. If the original image is carved it's even more impressive.

11. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Yet another Jonny con.

The inscription is NOT latin. And all searches on the interweb fail to come up with this. The oldest depiction of the nativity/adoration of the Magi is a freize from 4th cenury. I suspect someone has been doodling. But if Gene believes its real leave it to him!

aspensquiver likes this.
  12. Johnny_Bluenote

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Email us about this page - (Vat_Severa0609_4280LM.htm)
    Christian grave slab

http://www.rome101.com/Topics/Christian/Magician/pages/Vat_Severa0609_4280LM.htm

[​IMG]
    Grave slab with portrait of the deceased, showing adoration of the magi. Mary sits on a wicker chair, holding toddler (not infant) Jesus. Vatican Museum.

SEVERA
    INDEOVI
    VAS

Got that Jacob? Game, set and match methinks!

13. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I find it ugly. The wings. The limbs. I agree with @magic surf bus
    I hope there's an authentic provenance. The figure-drawing? What's that style? Where was it found?

The Latin is provincial. Doesn't make it a fake. But where were they producing line-drawings in that manner in the 3rd century? As an image I dislike it.

But relics don't need to be 'genuine' to inspire awe. Those who wish to believe will believe.

14. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I like the way the calf muscles are delineated, and the back of the knees.

15. By_the_Shiny_Brook

More advanced line drawings were being produced during the 3rd millennium BC Mesopotamia.

This is a cast.

16. Johnny_Bluenote

St Joseph is the most intriguing character in the picture. He seems to be wearing a see through carpenter's apron.

17. Johnny_Bluenote

This one is pretty old too.

The Magi before Herod, French 15th-century stained glass
    [​IMG]

18. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Not. You have lied on every single thing you have written in over ten years, from the Gene Vincent incarnation, via several flounces, on. This is just the same. Drawn by some kid this year, with an inscription that looks like latin, but has no meaning.

19. HoratioBlows

HoratioBlows Senior commenter

I like this one

[​IMG]

20. By_the_Shiny_Brook

God's death. You are are out of your depth Mr.Jacob. Confine yourself to data crunching if you wish to come second to last (at best).