1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Older Teachers Thread

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by AlexanderBrandy, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Cambodia could be an option. The visa rules are very lax. No age limit, no degrees even needed. Just pay 25 US dollars and you are good to go. The cost of living is low so it helps in terms of saving. However the pool of good international schools is narrow (about three or four really). I don't know whether those schools would be interested in her background, but I do know that her age and qualifications wouldn't be an obstacle.

2. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

As long as you are under 60 when applying for the visa, there is often no problem in having it renewed, even if you go above 60 during the contract.

3. Alphaalpha

Alphaalpha New commenter

No probs in the Land of the Pyramids.

4. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

Apart from: riots, looting and schools not being allowed to open!!! [​IMG]

5. Alphaalpha

Alphaalpha New commenter

BFG - I did scuds is SA!! Here is *****!!

6. Alphaalpha

Alphaalpha New commenter

Mrs A and I love Egypt, and are looking forward to their success!

7. You need another Cheers order, old boy. Sounds like you're rifling through your present stock.

8. Now why does every thread degenerate into something about Cairo/Egypt? Weren't you lot content with your own (almost) megathreads?

9. Egypt, Cairo, revolution, rich people getting arrested, passion, passion, passion...
    Or should we just talk about old people? [​IMG]
    Anyway, Cairo came about because they do employ old fossils.
    I mean just look, Alfa is here...

10. Referring to the original question, provided that you are not in China already[​IMG], there are many possibilities for older teachers who wish to continue even beyond 'retirement' age (whatever that's going to turn out to be!) She might not qualify for a 'top tier' school, but with a little shopping around, there are a number of prospects which would happily accept someone who knows what they're doing and has the experience to back it up. I have taught in China (and Taiwan) over the years in a couple of respectable establishments, and have friends, well over the age of 60, who continue to enjoy teaching the students and living in China, where the pay package will allow you to save for when you want, rather than are forced, to retire.

11. Alphaalpha

Alphaalpha New commenter

May be an old fossil, but use new spelling - Alpha!

Opening tomo! Gott sie dank!

12. Alphaalpha

Alphaalpha New commenter

Or danke? German rusty!