1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

The old one about turning down a job

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by dondi_74, Jan 21, 2012.

  1. Hi
    I attended an interview recently. Said I was still a serious candidate at the end of the interview. Got offered the job the next day. Said I was chuffed and could they send me an offer letter with the details of the job. NOTE - I did not say 'yes I accept the job'.
    Letter took a week to come and when it arrived the offer was less than I now earn. My current salary was on my application so it was known.
    I emailed back and said could they look at the salary as I dont want to move for less than I currently earn.Again, no acceptance mentioned. I have heard nothing for a week.
    I am now having second and third thoughts about leaving for this school.
    I am aware that some will think I should not pull out but to my mind my acceptance was subject to satisfactory conditions - as I said I asked for a letter with details of salary and conditions - and these have not been met. I dont care if they badmouth me or blacklist me from the borough, I can put up with that. Are they really likely to sue me for readvertising costs etc or is that just a threat?
     
  2. tigger82

    tigger82 New commenter

    Hi Dondi,
    First of all congratulations on your job offer. In a tough market it is an achievement!
    I am not sure what the legal position is in England (I assume it is England as you mentioned the borough) but I would also assume that any offer is made and accepted subject to terms and conditions.
    There are far more knowledgeable people than than I on this board who will be able to offer advice but for what it is worth here is what I would do...
    Phone the school on Monday and ask for clarification of the salary. Decide if you still want the job.
    Keep all correspondence and date it as soon as you receive it and file it. Note ALL phonecalls, the name of the person you spoke to and what was said. Email is better as you have a clear sequential record.
    Is it just the manner of the school following the offer that has put you off?
     
  3. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter

    Yes, excellent advice above.
    Saying beforehand that you will accept does not actually commit you to accepting. So don't worry, you haven't accepted by accident.
    And there is no reason why you should be in any way bad-mouthed or blacklisted - no-one in their right minds would expect you to move for less money. And no chance at all that you would be sued for advertising costs - you haven't accepted!
    So you can feel at ease over this.
    You also have got a month until you need to give notice at your current school (assuming it's a maintained school), so the other school is probably considering if they can afford more before getting back in touch, knowing the deadline is some time away.
    I wonder if it is just the delays and to-and-froing that is putting you off. Decide now if you would accept a reasonable salary offer (i.e. the same or more as current post), and then write again:
    EITHER
    Dear Mr Griff
    In view of your delay in responding appropriately to my communications of x date and y date, I feel that it would no longer be appropriate for me to consider any offer of employment that you might make, and thus hereby withdraw my application for the post of Teacher of Z in your school.
    OR:
    Dear Mr Griff
    I am somewhat concerned about your delay in responding to my communications of x date and y date, as I would not wish to attend an interview for a post at another school without first having the opportunity to consider an improved offer of salary from you for the post of Teacher of Z in your school.
    You will understand my reluctance to turn down the opportunity of employment in another school while awaiting any new offer from you, and also, since yours is my first choice, that I would not wish to lose the chance to work with you by accepting an offer elsewhere before you respond.
    I would therefore be grateful if you could give me a specific date by which you will be responding to me, so that I can manage my other employment applications.
    ___________________________________________
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
     

Share This Page