1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The OLD OLD nature nurture debate. Sorry.

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Null, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Over on TSR the students are having a chat...

Many over there seem to think that nurture is more significant than nature.

My suspicion is that over here, where nearly everyone has done plenty of teaching, nature will be considered more significant.

I'm just curious about the balance of opinion. I don't want to have the debate but if it turns into that then so be it, I'm sorry.

2. Over on TSR the students are having a chat...

Many over there seem to think that nurture is more significant than nature.

My suspicion is that over here, where nearly everyone has done plenty of teaching, nature will be considered more significant.

I'm just curious about the balance of opinion. I don't want to have the debate but if it turns into that then so be it, I'm sorry.

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

You cannot escape the influences of either, but I would be firmly in the nurture camp.

4. pwc9000

pwc9000 New commenter

I agree with this. And I believe the early years have a disproportionate impact.

5. bigkid

bigkid New commenter

I think it very much depends on what is meant by "ability in maths".
    Is it a facility for mathematical and logical thinking?
    Is it having mathematical knowledge?
    Is it the ability to apply that knowledge to situations?
    Is it having the resilience and willingness to persist with a problem until it solved?
    For ability in maths is a combination of many traits and attributes. Many of them are mostly nurture in opinion. Some are mainly nature.
    What is undeniably the case for most people is that they can become better at maths by putting some effort into it. This is something some are unwilling to do

6. murkle

murkle New commenter

There's some good (recent) evidence here that you can change the brain with practice even as an adult.

Difficult to extrapolate from that to maths, but after the training the cabbies also outperformed the control group on "spatial memory tasks".

7. murkle

murkle New commenter

... of course that doesn't help much with the nature vs nurture question, but it does show you need to practice :)