1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The offical TES Film Club

Discussion in 'Personal' started by boaqueen, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Post recommendations, start debates rant about things... All welcome!

2. Post recommendations, start debates rant about things... All welcome!

3. pomunder

pomunder New commenter

Went to see "The Bank Job" today, after outstanding reviews in Oz press. Mr P and I were in a cinema with only 20 others, all opver 60, but eveyone seemed to enjoy it. I love the London scenery and we constantly play the "Oooh, I've been there" game.

Anyway, back to the film. La Frenais and Clements on top form; lovely stuff. I could have done with a more contemporary soundtrack, I was ecstataic at the intoductory "Bang a Gong", but I suppose there were budgetary constraints.

The look was good, though all the lovingly maintained vintage cars were too shiny to be real, though they obviously were. I noticed how often shots were very tight, presumably to cut out satellite dishes. The hero, if one can call him that, Jason Statham, did well enough, but no-one went round with stubble like that in the early 70s. I know, I was there. This is turning into one of those spot the lack of authentic detail things, but there you go.

Loved the tight, often bizarre plotting, the relatively unexploitative but scarily effective violence and the plausibly odious upper classes. Made me want to rush home and re-watch "Life on Mars".

4. pomunder

pomunder New commenter

Some recent films.

Went to see "Angus, thongs and perfect snogging" with Pomette. Another sightseeing fest for the Oz-bound expat. very pleasant, and lots of oldies about, as you'd expect in Eastbourne.

"How to lose friends and alienate people" was laugh-out-loud funny in parts, thanks to Simon Pegg.

Has anybody seen "Eden Park"? hasn't been released here yet, but I've read enthusiastic yet appalled reviews elsewhere. Will run here for one week at some art house cinema and disappear.

5. Hi

not seen Eden Park but have seen a film called Eden Lake?

Superb film-very disturbing with an ending that will live with you but i would certainly recommend it.

6. pomunder

pomunder New commenter

Yes, "Eden Park" is the one I meant.

Not film seeing tonight but of to watch The Orb, Gorillaz and Kraftwerk. The catch is it's in the open air, at night and it's unseasonally cold with tons of rain.
    I've had to dig out the winter woolies and ditch the sunscreen.

7. pomunder

pomunder New commenter

Finally saw "Eden Lake" on DVD and v. disappointed. Acting superb, particularly the young villains, but the set-up implausible.

8. pomunder

pomunder New commenter

OK - so what do you all think about "Avatar"?

9. pomunder

pomunder New commenter

"Shutter Island" - pile of ordure or what?

10. Not a feel good movie, but a good interpretation of the book. I thought they handled it pretty well.

11. pomunder

pomunder New commenter

Just seen "Let Me In", the US version of the Swedish "Let The Right One In", and different enough to classify as another look at the novel. Not too shabby at all.

12. pomunder

pomunder New commenter

So, what about "Prometheus"?

Great look, rubbish script, terrible music.

13. mickymilan

mickymilan New commenter

Seen both dragon tattoo versions, lisbeth far more amiable in the holywood version, not read the book so not sure which depicts her true character....

14. My husband saw it last night - that was pretty much his review too. With the addition of "fantastic space ship crashing effects and awful old man make-up on Guy Pearce"

15. These are some of my favourites:
    Suspense films: Spellbound (Hitchcock), Vertigo (Hitchcock), Rear Window (Hitchcock), North by Northwest (Hitchcock), Torn Curtain (Hitchcock), Frenzy (Hitchcock), Topaz (Hitchcock), Psycho (HItchcock), The Birds (Hitchcock), Notorious (Hitchcock), Assault on Precinct 19 (Carpenter), Escape from New York (Carpenter)
    Horror films: The Thing (Carpenter), The Fog (Carpenter), Halloween (1978 Carpenter), Friday 13th (1980), Halloween II (c 1981), Halloween III (c.1981) Friday 13th Part 2 (c.1981), Friday 13th Part III (c.1981), Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, Alien Resurection, Saw, Saw 2-6.
    Comedies: Young Frankenstein (Brooks), Blazing Saddles (Brooks), High Anxiety (Brooks), The Producers (1968 and 2006 Brooks), Silent Movie (Brooks), Naked Gun 1,2 and 3 (Zucker Bros) Airplane (Zucker Bros)
    War Films: Where Eagles Dare, The Eagle has Landed, The Dirty Doxen, Kelly's Heroes.

16. mikeshaw

mikeshaw Administrator Staff Member

Yes, Prometheus has great photography, an excellent performance by Michael Fassbender, and some creepy body horror. Unfortunately you could fit planets into its vast plot holes.
    Still - a way better sci-fi than, say, Avatar or John Carter. And better to see a film that you're still debating days later ("Wait - was the humanoid in the opening scene the basis for the myth of Prometheus?") than one you instantly forget.
    michael.shaw@tes.co.uk

17. This is about my favourite all time feel good movie directed and starring Gene Wilder around the time he was working on the Mel Brooks' movies. Also staring the Madeline Kahn, Marty Feldman and Dom DeLuise. I can't get over how talented Madeline Kahn was, and also have a soft spot for Marty Feldman.
    [​IMG]