1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The NQT job-hunting season for September 2010 - where, when and how

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by John_in_Luton, Aug 28, 2009.

1. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

<font size="3"> </font>

2. John_in_Luton

Me again. And just so you're ready for the annual circuit of recruitment fairs, the first ones I'm aware of are:
    26 October UEA
    27 Oct Canterbury
    28 Oct Plymouth, Greenwich
    29 Oct Anglia Ruskin
    Nov 3 Cambridge
    Those are the first ones of the year; Chichester are usually in half term week as well, but I haven't heard a date from them yet. I'll be at most of them, but Greenwich will miss out on me because I like the trek down to Plymouth in half term (and I brought back a reasonable crop of NQTs this year, too), and I'll be sending a colleague to Chelmsford the next day rather than rushing back myself. So if you're at one of these universities, come and say hello (and collect your Luton highlighter and chocolate!)

3. Hi John,
    I was wondering if you think you'll be coming to Brighton too?

4. Thanks for posting the information as its really insightful as to how the LEA look for NQTs
    Will be using the advice.

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Sound advice from the recruitmeister ( as usual)
    It is going to be more difficult for NQTs to land their first role this year. There are still condsiderable numbers of previous year's graduates still looking for that opportunity.
    Do ensure that you use the recruitment fairs at your universities- check the process in the LA's and schools you are considering -
    Ensure you make early applications. A number lost out last year when they applied in late June- much too late for any central LA recruitment interviews/selection

6. John_in_Luton

Sorry, Chrissy, the Brighton one's very small and I'm not exalted enough to get invited to that one. But drop me an email and I'll include you in my emails of advice that I send out to students that sign up with me at the fairs. And if you do come here as an NQT, you can claim your highlighter then!

7. Hello John in Luton!
    Do you know if Newman in B'ham has a recruitment fair? I hope so!
    x

8. Just the sort of advice I was looking for!! Brilliant, thanks.
    Hope my uni has a recruitment fair. Finding out about LA pools/jobs is it just a case of google-ing them?

9. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Most LA's have websites with recruitment information- they all end.gov or you can access them from direct.gov website.

10. John_in_Luton

Bumblepop, there used to be a fair in Birmingham, but so long ago that only WelshWizard has been around long enough to remember it. To my knowledge there aren't any in the West Midlands, I'm afraid, which is strange because it's one of the few pockets of the UK outside the south east where there are still jobs going.
    As with Chrissy, you'll just have to drop me an email and get on my mailing list!

11. John_in_Luton

Missrieen: as WelshWizard says, the LA websites are your best bet.
    In terms of fairs, I'll post dates nearer the time (and some universities haven't confirmed yet), but in addition to those I've already mentioned, I shall be attending the following: St Mary's Twickenham, Herts (Hatfield), Edge Hill, Northampton, Oxford Brookes, Roehampton, UEL and York, all before Christmas, and then after Christmas it's London Met, Gloucestershire (Cheltenham), Brunel, Southampton, Bedford, Reading, Swansea, Bangor, Middlesex, the Institute and Cumbria. If they hold one in Liverpool Hope I'm planning to go; the grapevine says they might have one in Manchester Met this year for the first time, and I haven't made my mind up about Chester, I usually go but this year they're holding it too late, the deadline for my primary pool has already passed before the fair. Those I won't be going to before Christmas include Brighton, Winchester, John Moores and King's, and Hull have decided not to hold one this year: after Christmas, those fairs likely to have to cope without me include Marjon in Plymouth, Bishop Grosseteste, Kingston, Trinity Carmarthen, Bradford and UWE in Bristol.

12. i am starting chester primary PGCE next week (primary) and hoping to get a job in chester area or shropshire/west mids. which recruitment fairs should i try and go to? and how lateis the chester one?

this post is really useful, thank you :)

13. Hi John,
    Thanks for the helpful post - especially the reassurance about the shortage of English teachers. I was a touch worried about that and haven't even started my PGCE yet! Hopefully you'll manage to squeeze a trip into Portsmouth uni too whilst you're down here visiting Southampton [​IMG]

14. John_in_Luton

Gembug - the Chester fair is currently scheduled for Feb 23, but I've written back to them pointing out that they'll have missed the deadline for most primary pools by then (mine closes Feb 22, for example). Can you sneak in to somewhere like Edge Hill (early December, and it's a big one so lots of authorities will be represented)? Jobs will be few and far between in the Cheshire / Shropshire area - falling numbers of primary aged pupils, teachers sitting in post and not moving etc. There will be a few jobs coming up, but not many and the competition will be intense, so be prepared to look farther afield. West Midlands is a better bet - or why not Luton?

15. John_in_Luton

Alina
    Portsmouth don't run a fair (to my knowledge), but Southampton is scheduled for Jan 13. Or just bypass the fairs system completely, send an application to me in Luton, I whisper the words 'Pssst - want an English teacher?' to my secondary heads, and watch the ensuing feeding frenzy as they all try to get at your application!

16. Hi John,
    thanks for the useful information. I am studying Manchester Met and live in the northwest. If Manchester Met decide to abandon the idea of a recruitment fair am I able to attend another universities for example liverpool or edge hill?

17. John_in_Luton

Some universities control access to make sure it's only their own students attending, but many are quite happy to have students from neighbouring universities drop in. Edge Hill is always a popular one, well organised and well attended.

18. John,

Is that anglia ruskin one the cambridge or chelmsford campus?

19. John_in_Luton

Chelmsford.

20. so with these fairs, what are you expected to do if they interfere with lectures? for example if i wanted to go to edge hill in december but was on school placement or in university, what is the protocol? and are there other ways of finding out about different pools?