1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The NQT 15 month limit

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by PaulDG, Feb 16, 2011.

1. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

How does it work?

I mean, if you're an NQT who's not completed induction who's on the books of several, mostly useless agencies and you get a few days work a month, how does anyone know - does anyone care - that your 15 months are up?

I've seen people say you need to get an extension from your LEA, well how and when do any LEA get involved and is that the LEA you live in or all of the ones you might work in?

2. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

How does it work?

I mean, if you're an NQT who's not completed induction who's on the books of several, mostly useless agencies and you get a few days work a month, how does anyone know - does anyone care - that your 15 months are up?

I've seen people say you need to get an extension from your LEA, well how and when do any LEA get involved and is that the LEA you live in or all of the ones you might work in?

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The limit is designed to restrict non induction day to day supply and only expires once a full induction is completed so even if you have done 2 terms of induction then the limit still applies until induction is completed. The main problem is that it runs from the first date of supply for 16 months regardless of how much supply is done. LA's can then extend this period for a further 12 months upon application. If you plan to work in more than one area then you apply to varuius LA's.
    If the restrictions are not followed then both you and the agency are in breach and insurance companies will not cover you for an "illegal" employment.
    Many NQTs are now hitting this 28 month barrier and can only take supply work that counts towards induction.

4. Join the ever growing club, I'm afraid. Be lucky that you even got to train.

5. My limit is coming to an end next month and due to lack of supply available it's going to be difficult to get an extension. I've now applied for alternative jobs until the teaching situation becomes better again. Hopefully I can secure a teaching post soon (applied for a permanent position this week) but if not I'll have to take my skills elsewhere.