1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The non virus, non Brexit but irrelevant problem solving thread

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dumpty, Mar 26, 2020.

1. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Honestly, I have found if you do not read the papers and watch non panic shows on the more obscure channels, it settles your blood pressure.

Then I start thinking about things I don't know but know some of you do know and might know the answer to.

So my irrelevant problem(s):

1. How much does the world weigh and how much does its weight fluctuate?
    2. Does ANYONE ever date again on this weird programme 'Dinner Date'?

Answers please and then feel free to ask your own problems. I am good at anything but (as you can see) not physics or romance.

Sincerely,
    Doc Dump, coming soon to a surgery near you.

agathamorse likes this.
  2. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

And, on another question, apart from as your avatar, where has Mr Rees-Mogg been since the election? Is he self-isolating in his holiday home in the country? Abroad? I think we should be told!

ajrowing likes this.
  3. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

No idea but if you shaved Chewbacca would he have pecs or a row of teats like a pig? Or another option that I haven't thought of yet?

bombaysapphire and agathamorse like this.
  4. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Why is television obsessed with certain people? Like Rylan Clark Neal... he is on everything at the moment, even the sodding radio. There are probably hundreds of talented people who could be just as annoying as him, but he gets so many gigs at once. (He is just an example, of the obsession with someone who gets their mush on telly once, then is on everything.) Another might be Scarlett Moffat, what can she do, she seems a bit dim to me.

5. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

:D:D:D Good ones!

agathamorse likes this.
  6. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

We should talk about mass rather than weight. The mass should increase by the amount of space debris, meteorires etc. entering the earth's gravitational field.

7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard?

8. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

I'll try to help with 1)... but it's mass, not weight. Might sound quite pedantic but is relevant to this. Mass is a measure of the amount of "stuff" but weight is the force of gravity acting on that "stuff". We can measure the weight (force) between two objects and use this to give a mass - if I stand on a set of bathroom scales, they're measuring the force between me and the Earth. The bigger the force, the more mass I have... but that's assuming the Earth's mass is constant. If I stand on those bathroom scales tomorrow, and the force is measured as a larger force, it is assumed that is because I have gotten fatter (I've gained mass). It could be that the Earth has got much more massive - that would also cause the force of gravity to increase. However if the force measured by the scales has increased by 1%, this is much more likely to be me gaining less than 1kg in mass than the Earth gaining 60,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 kg. (The Earth's mass is estimated to be about 100 times this)
    Of course the Earth's mass does fluctuate; a meteor landing will increase the mass. Our atmosphere is constantly being lost into space, decreasing the mass. This is negligible compared to the total mass of the Earth though.

lexus300 and dumpty like this.
  9. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

If you shaved Chewbacca, he (or she?!) would probably knock you out and you wouldn't be able to observe the results.

10. LondonCanary

What was the best thing before sliced bread?

11. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

There are so many films where men are living in some sort of adventurous scenario out in "the wilds" somewhere or unable to live life as normal who are constantly clean-shaven over a period of days, weeks or longer. They don't even grow stubble by the end of the day, as much as anything I can't not-see it and it constantly annoys me.

Likewise clothing, especially in historical films where the characters however poor are wearing clothes that have clearly just been made.

So my question is why can't I just not see these things? how do I train myself to not see them.

Lidnod, agathamorse and primarycat like this.
  12. LondonCanary

Have you tried wearing rose-tinted spectacles?

agathamorse and Aquamarina1234 like this.
  13. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Why did the makers of that ghastly Cazoo advert on TV and radio ever think getting the singers to hold that long note throughout the ad was a good idea. I find the sound totally unbearable.

Whilst I know it is an ad for a company called Cazoo, I have no idea what Cazoo do as I reach for the mute button every time the ad comes on.

Wotton likes this.
  14. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

How do you solve a problem like Maria?

(If you don't get it, I'll post the link later)!

agathamorse and Aquamarina1234 like this.
  15. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Reminds me how I always felt (still do) that Mel Gibson's Scottish accent was brilliant, yet my Scottish friends want to lynch me when I say that.

But OK, when a nipper and although growing up in the East End of London, I also thought Dick Van Dyke's Cockney accent was well good enough to Adam and Eve it.

16. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Why is there only one Monopolies Commission?

17. nomad

nomad Star commenter

You obviously missed seeing him in parliament yesterday.

dumpty likes this.
  18. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

My pet hate! Girls swishing their long luscious locks about in historical dramas. Women's hair got washed maybe once a month, and not during her period. It was put up at puberty and washed and curled for her wedding. Caps prevented lice, reduced maintenance, kept it out of the way during physical labour and contributed to modesty. No 18 yr old would be swishing her greasy plait about on purpose, so STOP DOING IT IN FILMS!

Edit @Mangleworzle - and they're all so perfectly pressed! A look at any photo taken pre 1900 shows how creased everyone's clothes were!

19. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

I'm pleased to say I did.

He's still keeping a pretty low profile.

nomad likes this.
  20. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Yep, and how aliens from outer space always speak perfect English and have the decency only to bother America.

oldsomeman and agathamorse like this.