1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Nomads of Somalia

Discussion in 'Geography' started by gloucestermonster23, Apr 5, 2017.

1. gloucestermonster23

gloucestermonster23 New commenter

Hi, new to this site and asking questions on the net.
    That said, I am teaching Geography which is new to me. I'm doing so in South East Asia, where, at year 7 it is the first year they have been introduced to the subject.
    We are discussing the Horn of Africa. My question is: why do nomads continue to roam Somalia in apparently insane conditions, when they could nip up to the Highlands of Ethiopia, make a cup of Joe, and grow some crops? It's cooler, wetter etc.
    I really don't see the logic of wandering in desert conditions.
    If anyone please has a suitable answer, please let me know.
    Kind regards

2. tosh740

tosh740 New commenter

Loads of views and not one reply, so tempted to have a go. Nomadic people may well be have pushed into marginal areas by others, be traders or traditionally 'tax' settled farmers. Guessing Ethiopia is already full so no spare land. If you keep moving you can't be taxed by the government. Colonial powers tended to try and 'settle' these groups for control and tax reasons. Always fascinated by the fact humans will live anywhere they can, no matter how harsh.