1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The nights ...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Marshall, Sep 15, 2020 at 6:01 PM.

1. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

... and mornings are really drawing in and it's definitely autumnal!

Thank goodness! I am not a summer person at all!

Autumn, winter and spring are my favourites - my family think I'm mad!!!

2. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Lead commenter

I wish it was autumnal. It's been sweltering here today. I'm longing for tight and boots weather!

ETA-Summer sucks!

Marshall, Sally006 and maggie m like this.
  3. Lidnod

Lidnod Star commenter

I love the Autumn. Here it is pannage season and I look forward to catching a glimpse of the pigs and piglets rummaging for acorns in the forest. When the trees turn colour some of the routes through the forest are stunning. It is a good time to see the deer, too.

Marshall and Sally006 like this.
  4. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

I don't like summer much either. I adore Autumn and Spring and for me, this is perfect gardening weather.
    I love the early morning mist at this time of year.

Marshall, Norsemaid and Sally006 like this.
  5. smurphy6

smurphy6 Lead commenter

I dislike the heat intensely so much prefer Autumn and Winter. Today it has been 29 degrees where I live and it’s been awful.

Marshall likes this.
  6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

We have had some lovely autumn days although it has been hot today. Not complaining though, it's been beautiful.

maggie m likes this.
  7. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

It’s all rather irrelevant at the moment given the colder days will just bring bad news re Covid

8. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I love the summer and will be sorry to see it come to an end. Really enjoying these warm days, even if the evenings are drawing in. But every season has its own beauty - I always enjoy autumn colours and walking through the leaves.

9. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

It was an extraordinary day yesterday in North Wales, bright sun, very clear air, low wind. the hills were beautiful and the grasses are very green because of all the rain. Not so nice today, started raining about 4pm and still is, despite the MetOffice forecast of 5% chance of rain, bloody liars.

Lidnod, Marshall and lindenlea like this.
  10. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Add me to your family list, insane person!

Marshall likes this.
  11. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Thank you! New phrase for the day-had to look it up.

Lidnod likes this.
  12. colpee

colpee Star commenter

It has been a fantastic year weather-wise so far. I don't mind any sort of weather - it doesn't interrupt what I do, just makes life interesting and/or excitingly challenging.

Wind, snow, rain, hail, heat - bring it on!

Marshall likes this.
  13. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

I used to love summer in my more care-free youth when I was quite comfortable in minimal clothing - unlike today when I try my best to stay cool but well covered!! So for me Autumn and Spring are perfect temperatures. I don’t like winter due to lack of light. Cold bright crisp days and a warm fire inside can be magical but dark damp and wet is not. It has been unusually warm and made be very uncomfortable as stuck in self isolating. Had to get the fan out again to keep cool. Bit strange.

14. jellycowfish

jellycowfish Occasional commenter

I'm totally the opposite: love Spring and Summer, and even though it's still June when the nights start getting shorter, I start feeling a little fed up. I find that the short, darker days lower my mood significantly.

15. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I like all of the seasons with Summer the most and Winter the least favourite.
    In Winter, it’s not so much the temperature, the fog, the rain etc (which I actually quite like), it is the lack of light and the grey skies which I find least appealing.
    I lived in the Middle East for around 18 years with sunshine 24/7/365. It gets a bit samey after a while.

16. hankay

hankay Occasional commenter

I only enjoy Summer for the first month, where it's still cool enough to be comfortable. After that I start wishing for Winter.
    If I go abroad though, I want to suffer - the hotter the better. But holiday clothes aren't the same as home clothes, so when abroad I actually dress for the climate.

Lockdown caused me to totally mis-judge the weather all Summer - spending most days cooped up in a cool flat, thinking it's ok to put on a jumper in 20+ degree heat on the occasion that I did go outside. :oops:

Late Autumn would be my fave though.

Sally006 likes this.
  17. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

In Britain, the spring is one of the best in the areas of the world I have been to, with all the lush greenery starting to show, but for autumn (fall) go to Canada. If you think the autumn colours here are good, you need to see them in the Province of Quebec, Canada! You will be delighted.

Canadian springs on the other hand are pretty dreadful affairs with all the damp melting snow. Get through the spring and you have a summer of lots of sunshine and heat. Terrific.

And the winters are of course full of snow. I so miss playing ice hockey in the village outdoor ice rink under flood lights in temperatures of 20 below and further with the sky absolutely full of stars and ice halos around the moon. Also tobogganing.

maggie m likes this.
  18. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

That sounds like my idea of hell. Poor light (anywhere) affects my mood significantly, and cold just hurts. I would thank god if I believed in him for not making me be born in the Arctic circle. Takes all sorts.

19. RepelloInimicum

RepelloInimicum Lead commenter

Same here.

20. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Give me a winter's night over a summer's day anynight.