1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

‘The nightmare of graded lesson observations is ending, at last – and some good can come out of it'

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Nov 25, 2016.

1. drek

drek Lead commenter

Its become worse. We now have trainee future leaders who come in with senior leaders on drop in sessions where they stay for the full lesson and fill out feedback forms - then they expect the teacher to fill out a swat analysis on these drop in sessions.
    This is over and above the 'normal formal' performance observations

The drop in sessions this term took place in a week where there there were two after school meetings plus one long parents evening,

Exhausted teachers drained even further. Forced to reflect about work 7 days a week thanks to the current management ethics of if I let you teach in my school your every moment is mine to control.

install and schoolsout4summer like this.
  2. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

There was a study done in America that said asking any teacher to expose their reflection to someone in a position of power means they basically lie or embellish the account to the point that all data generated is invalid.

I'm afraid this is another post truth non-evidence based technique that clearly has been exposed as nonsense passive aggressive anti-ofsted rubbish.

We really do need some sort of body that takes each of these non-evidence based approaches in schools, does a proper study of them and exposes their lack of validity in the workplace. It's akin to doctors in a hospital making it all up and prescribing herbal remedies for serious cancers with no evidence behind their actions.

And this is 'future leaders' an organisation taking government money!

3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I had some hopes for ResearchED but its becoming a bit of a bandwagon led by social media. Seems to be teachers with an agenda and careers to promote, rather than a cold, hard and objective look at evidence. There's some good stuff, but a lot of very soft stuff too and a lot of assertion as fact. Perhaps not surprising as the nature of evidence in teaching is not of the same quality as in many other areas.

The fact that it was found last year that LA schools performed better than academies was very skillfully overlooked by many people who apparently value evidence but are working for large academy chains or delivering CPD in them etc.