1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Night Pirates!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by emily88, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I have a PGCE interview coming up and I am to read a passage out of a book of my choice aimed at ks1 children. I really like the 'The Night Pirates', however is this a bit too foundation stage age? I have done a lot of research onto how it could be used within the classroom and it seems to be very mixed?
    Any feedback on this would be great! thanks all

2. Hi all,

I have a PGCE interview coming up and I am to read a passage out of a book of my choice aimed at ks1 children. I really like the 'The Night Pirates', however is this a bit too foundation stage age? I have done a lot of research onto how it could be used within the classroom and it seems to be very mixed?
    Any feedback on this would be great! thanks all

3. Why do you feel it is too foundation stage?
    We use this book in Year 2.

4. i have seen it being used in the reception class before and i was unsure if it could be developed and used with later ages

5. Hi Emily88, I'm a trainee teacher in my third year therefore these are just ideas I have tried on placement but they may help you (I'm not saying they are any good though).

I was with a Reception/Year 1 class whilst looking at the book The Night Pirates for a week.

We began by just reading the story up until it is like 'Is it bandits or pirates....pirates', I then got the children to draw a picture of what they thought their pirate might look like (Receptions) thinking about descriptive words and how these affect what they look like. For example a scary pirate would not have a smiley face. The year 1's started to put into sentences what their pirate would be like and what they would wear.

We then moved on and read a little bit more of the story and did the same type of exercise however focusing on where they could be going (Not reading the whole book yet). Again the year 1 wrote sentences. I read the whole story at the end of this lesson.

Then I played the audio version of the story and the children did freeze frames in groups to show the different parts of the story.

Then the children produced a storyboard of the parts of the story and then as a class we did shared writing to write our version of the story.

I know this could not be put into an interview lesson I just thought the ideas may help a little. Good luck.

6. thanks orchid 77! those ideas are a great help for my interview as I am trying to prepare myself for possible 'how could you use this book within the classroom' type questions!

Thanks again!