1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Night Manager

Discussion in 'Personal' started by minnie me, Feb 21, 2016.

1. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

A whole week to wait for Tom.

2. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Seems to have the makings of an excellent series AND I can hear what they are saying. YAY!!!!!!

:D

InkyP likes this.
  3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

He needs to stop mentioning names in public and opening other people's post!

Middlemarch likes this.
  4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Forgot to set the tivo box! Will try it on catch up. However I have tried Le carre before both in print and on TV and never got very far in.

5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I am hearing impaired and always use the sub titles - doesn't detract from the performances (but then again maybe I have become accustomed ).

6. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

I really enjoyed the book when I read it a few years back - one of my favourite Le Carrés - and the series is living up to its promise. Great casting.

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

A good opening episode.

8. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

The Night Watchman is sooooo beautiful!

9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

It's the romantic light thrown by his brazier.

aspensquiver_2 and Lascarina like this.
  10. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

You've embarrassed me now, rac. I realise that he was in fact called a Night Manager.:confused:

aspensquiver_2 and racroesus like this.
  11. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

The first in a series has to catch your interest to keep you watching the next one. The Night Manager did- although that might just be me gazing upon Tom. I like Olivia Coleman too- a good cast.

12. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

At the risk of sounding shallow I think Tom is incredibly handsome but crucially a fantastic actor. I saw him in Coriolanus not really knowing his work and it blew me away. That Olivia Colman woman is just doing the same shouty, annoying, rough 'seen it all before' stuff à la Broadchurch.I read that the original part was for a man. No problems with the gender rewrite but just wish they had hired another actress. I know she has her fans but I can't take to her .

13. Middlemarch

No, no , be fair, @minnie me - she's giving her 'standard Northern' accent, also.

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Don't be embarrassed. You think he is as pretty as a picture, a member of the Night Watch.

15. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

We were centre stalls Row B. The woman in front got splashed by his "blood". Exciting!

16. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Haven't watched it yet. I hope it's good.

Only just caught up with Happy Valley.

I must be one of the few to find Tom Whatsit really rather repulsive. I have no idea why.

17. Middlemarch

Did anyone else think, however - when Sophie flung herself into bed with Pine after knowing him for about 5 minutes - that this happens irritatingly often in TV drama? I call as additional evidence the way in which Archie Punjabi's character did the same with the Shetland copper after knowing him for about 30 seconds and exchanging around five words with him.

18. marlin

marlin Star commenter

We particularly enjoyed the scenes filmed in Zermatt as we had a lovely holiday there once.

19. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Also. I now can't abide Hugh Laurie. No idea why. I went off him somewhere along the line. Post-Blackadder.

But I love Olivia. I shall have to watch it but I wish they had cast it differently.

20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

And Miss Haversham.