1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Nicky Morgan 5pm challenge

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Sep 27, 2015.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Back on the old Opinion forum I started a thread about the Nicky Morgan 5pm challenge... teachers didn't need to work after 5pm [according to the illustrious Secretary of State].

So far I have been failing the Nicky Morgan challenge. Just done two class sets of books and got a 3rd to do. I'm so sorry Nicky, I'm really trying, such a bad teacher here.

cissy3 and Spiritwalkerness like this.
  2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

But...how could Morgan possibly be wrong about this? She's the Education Secretary, after all and so surely knows ALL about the job of being a teacher...

3. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

it's not looking like i will get all this finished by 5 either

4. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Well, of course, you all realise, don't you, that it's simply a question of working smarter and not longer? Oh, I forgot - teachers don't expect to have a life outside school!

5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

It's Sunday.
    Why are you working at all?

lanokia likes this.
  6. emilystrange

planning needs doing. marking needs doing. spent 1 evening baking for the staff macmillan bakeoff last week, another feeling absolutely awful, 1 others doing other marking and school stuff, 1 doing a family birthday.
    terribly sorry i couldn't fit it all in.

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Flere asked why was I [in a general way] working at all.

Turns out I cannot get the marking done in such a way that will get me a 'good' in a work scrutiny during my PPA time, especially as I have two other responsibilities in school. I genuinely am trying to get as much done in school as possible but it just isn't possible so 3 sets of books came home with me.

Alcohol helped with one, youtubing the other and the 3rd, was a straight slog.

Spiritwalkerness likes this.
  8. emilystrange

didn't see the question was aimed just at you, sorry.
    but i feel your pain.

lanokia likes this.
  9. Middlemarch

There's a primary teacher on another thread saying she has to mark 90 books every night and put in page markers to get the kids to engage with her marking.

That is seriously crazy. It's beyond crazy, it's 'the headteacher of that school is insane and shouldn't be in charge of a potato' crazy.

Noja, cissy3, midnight_angel and 2 others like this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Oh I get what you mean emily... indeed Flere's question makes a lot of sense... why am I working on a Sunday... it's a Sunday! ... system is so fec..k..ed up.

Spiritwalkerness likes this.
  11. Middlemarch

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I have to put in post-it notes sticking out of pages to indicate to kids where they have failed to glue in homework, failed to correctly write out a spelling 5 times or failed to respond to a learning dialogue question. I also have to have a sticker on the back of the book recording homework set so the deputy head can see homework is being set.

All so pathetic. So ******* pathetic.

cissy3, Spiritwalkerness and DYNAMO67 like this.
  13. Flere-Imsaho

What would happen if you all just stopped doing it?
    Emily, I didn't mean to question you personally. Your week sounds exhausting. Teachers (everyone!) deserve some time off.

14. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

And that is why so many are leaving teaching. Micromanagement and pointless paperwork.

cissy3 likes this.
  15. keyboard2

keyboard2 Established commenter

What do you mean lanokia? The learning dialogue business - sounds ghastly and utterly pointless. Is it?

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'd be put on capability.

cissy3 and Spiritwalkerness like this.
  17. Flere-Imsaho

Everyone, all at once and in some kind of organised and planned fashion. Industrial action, in fact.

lanokia likes this.
  18. emilystrange

i'm only talking about the basic marking and planning here. i don't have to do the extra stuff that lanokia does, but i do have to do some stuff and i'm in catch up mode. spellings and harvest assembly to sort too.
    i had a day off yesterday, innit.

19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The weakest would be driven to the wall first to encourage the others.
    Being a guttersnipe I don't know the French for it.

lanokia likes this.
  20. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I'm sure Nicky is absolutely correct.
    I used to finish the days' work at around 5pm.....

.....and start the next day's at 5.30pm

(30 minute break to travel home)

marlin likes this.