1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The NHS- good news stories

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tidal, Jun 11, 2015.

1. tidal

tidal New commenter

I know that the NHS gets some bad press (often rightly so) but there are times when it gets things really right and that is something I thought ought to be highlighted more.

As some of you may know (coz I whinged a lot) I have had quite a few operations on my eyes
    Yesterday afternoon I went for one of the regular check-ups and after the usual series of examinations got to see the young and enthusiastic duty ophthalmologist
    He too a long look at my problematic eye then wandered off to get a more senior member of the team and they both took turns to peer at both eyes.

At which point they called in the surgeon who operated on my eyes (their ultimate boss)
    They all peered at my eyes in turn, talked amongst themselves and told me that they could see a possible cause for my ongoing problems which might be cured by laser treatment.
    They explained the possible risks and asked me if I wanted them to set up the procedure.

Naturally I supposed that it would take at least a few weeks for them to get me on the relevant list which would give me the time to arrange to have transport available (the last time they zapped one eye I couldn't see at all for a few hours)

But no
    As they pointed out, they were all there, I was there and the relevant laser was also available and as they pointed out "why wait"
    This was at the end of the day, they and the rest of the relevant staff were about to go off shift but the surgeon rushed about, got staff to stay and then spent nearly an hour zapping both my eyes.

At the end of the process the surgeon paused, and having a fairly good memory, asked me how I planned to get back home.
    I explained that I would catch a bus coz a)a taxi costs nigh on £30 for that journey and b)I really didn't have anyone I could call to drive me home.

He laughed and asked me how on earth I would read the number and destination on the front of an approaching bus and I said I would (again) throw myself on the mercy of fellow travellers at the stop and get them to tell me when the right bus arrived.
    At this point I could see nothing at all out of one eye and the other was well less than 100%.

So he mugged a nurse into walking me out of the hospital across the very busy road outside and getting me onto the right bus. (she was more than happy to do so btw)

So I'm sitting here thinking (a patch on one eye and wearing sunglasses coz it's so bright) what a wonderful service
    And I'm sure I'm not the only one with similar good experiences

2. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

BlimeyTidal.... your eyes have certainly been through the mill! I do hope now that things have been sorted and that all goes well.

I too owe my being here to the great staff at Walton Neurological centre who looked after me after a subarrachnoid haemorrhage a few years ago and more recently the stroke staff at Warrington hospital and then Mr Mooney and his cardiovascular staff at the Countess of Chester hospital. My younger (near 34!) daughter owes her being here to the gynae treatment I received all those years ago at Warrington also.

So yes - we are blessed with a health system that pulls out all the stops when it can.

3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

That is brilliant - definitely above and beyond. Does your hospital have a Facebook page - our does and you can make comments like that, the administrators will pass your praise on to the people involved.

4. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

So pleased that you've been sorted at last Tidal!

5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Hurrah for the hospital. Hurrah for lasers. Hurrah for tidal getting better. (We hope.)

A couple of splendid things to add to that.

tidal used the phrase 'well less than 100%'. Respect, bro'. (Did they give you some strong meds?)

Helen said 'your eyes have been through the mill'!!!!! Which was both very funny and horribly disturbing.

6. tidal

tidal New commenter

No it doesn't
    But it does have both a wonderfully open feedback system and I have made the appropriate comments on that and by e-mail to the Trust.

I won't know if it has fixed the problem for some days (possibly weeks) as the corrections will take time to settle in.
    My next exam won't be for a month at least

7. grumpydogwoman

Next exam. Hope you have a revision timetable.

8. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Good news, tidal. I have a recurrent flare up of an eye problem and am always seen immediately at the hospital. I've always been given brilliant treatment.

I now volunteer at the local hospital and get to roam around all the wards doing patient surveys. Every single person I've spoken to has nothing but praise for their care and treatment. We need to hear more positive things about the NHS because it really is a national treasure.

9. tidal

tidal New commenter

Now that everyone has digested their breakfast I will reply to that one

Did you know that she wasn't that far off?
    During standard cataract surgery they make a small incision in the side of the eye, reach in with tiny tools, and then crunch up the lens and cataract into very small bits and suck the bits out?

Then they insert the replacement.......

10. tidal

tidal New commenter

It's all painless btw

11. grumpydogwoman

I thought it was also supposed to be straightforward in about 98% of cases. Bu gg er.

12. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

OMG!!!!!!!!

13. grumpydogwoman

One of the best things I've read all day. Did I titter? Yes, I did.

14. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Congrats on the successful procedure, Tidal.

Didn't you once have a scary eyeball as your avatar?

15. tidal

tidal New commenter

Actually it's way better than that GDW
    the (less than) 2% includes all of the very very minor problems
    More serious problems run at less than 1%

I would unhesitatingly recommend the treatment to anyone even after my experience

16. tidal

tidal New commenter

If you're lucky (as I was with the first op) you get to see the bits disappear!
    Well the shadows of it anyway
    It's done under a local after all

Anyway- more good news stories please

17. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

I have had cataract surgery - made the mistake of going private. My right eye is a bit ***ed, left eye majorly ***ed - it has been left a complete mess and too unstable for further surgery.

I'm the 'less than 1%' - so you all should be fine.

18. mandala1

Sorry, that was a kind of inverted 'good news' story with a moral - you are better off with the NHS!

19. tidal

tidal New commenter

That is not at all good Mandala

[​IMG]

20. mandala1