1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The next three decades

Discussion in 'Personal' started by blue451, Aug 19, 2019.

1. blue451

blue451 Senior commenter

This is a fairly bleak, but probably realistic, view of where we are headed in the near and midterm future - I share the pessimism.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/envir...end-human-civilisation-research-a8943531.html

"It also argues that the detrimental impacts of climate breakdown, such as increasing scarcity of food and water, will act as a catalyst on extant socio-political instabilities to accelerate disorder and conflict over the next three decades.
    To usefully prepare for such an impact, the report calls for an overhaul in countries’ risk management “which is fundamentally different from conventional practice”."

Will your children live in a warzone? Fighting over food, water, and land which is still above sea-level?
    Will they live in a democracy? We can already see an increase in authoritarianism and an eroding of democracy and rights.
    Will you have medical assistance in your last years?

Yeah, but those extinction rebellion people, Stopping traffic in London for a few hours is just too extreme, innit?

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Load of over-pessimistic guff written by humanities graduates who've played fallout too much and need to look at the progress we've made in the last century and stop wailing inconsequentially into the void that is their lives.

3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Wow.

The problem in microcosm...

How to ignore evidence and stick your head in the sand while proclaiming that scientists who study these things all their lives don't know as much as you do.

That's why we're in this mess.

4. Scintillant

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    sodalime and blue451 like this.
  5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

For me, it's an extended sandwich board opening post. It's all nigh, eh?

Too flippant. This is where having kids, or working with them. is useful.
    My kids are unanimous that the biggest fear for them as comfortable and educated people is that their country will go to war,most likely allied with the US,most likely to huge cost of human life.
    When you talk to our young and upcoming generation, their outlook is irredeemably bleak,devoid of the same prospects we had ourselves-a job,a home, a partnership,an ability to make a difference.
    They blame us for stuffing them,and rightly so.
    I'm sorry. I tried.

6. Scintillant

The overwhelming consensus of the world's best climate scientists is that unless we drastically reduce emissions very quickly, we are in for a lot of unpleasantness. That isn't scaremongering or doom and gloom, it's simply how things are. Combating climate change has the potential to remove many of the likely causes for conflict in the future, as well as keeping the planet inhabitable for us.

sodalime and Corvuscorax like this.
  7. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

maybe we could list here some of the actions that could be taken.

for example use Ecosia as a search engine instead of google, its not for profit, and plants trees with all advertising revenue

cut our beef and diary, or as far as you can. I keep trying to cut out dairy, but is a hard on for me

stop driving cars, most journeys are unnecessary

get supermarkets shops online and delivered, by far better for the environment that everyone going to the supermarket individually

switch to "good energy" for gas and electricity, it only provides energy from renewable sources

sodalime and Scintillant like this.
  8. Corvuscorax

I'm going to copy onto a new thread so people see it. I expect it will get some derision, but maybe we will all also pick up a few new ideas what we can be doing, if other people contribute suggestions too.

sodalime and Scintillant like this.
  9. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

You put this on the other thread. Its still bunk on here repeated.

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

In school i sat through lessons about how by the year 2000 the ice caps would be gone and Spain a desert.

I read articles predicting London underwater by 2010 and Al Gore had some convincing theories about where we'd be which turned out to be inaccurate.

But I'm going drop everything for the latest slice of clickable in-no-way-fearmongering from a defunct newspaper desperate for attention.

This is manna designed to appeal to "the-sky-is-falling" in crowd who've always been with us. They lap it up and then proselytize to the masses... proclaiming their panic to be legitimate just as all the movements before them did.

30 years from now?

China, the USA, India and Russia will have significant space programmes underway.
    Bioindustries will be providing more food than ever (but not European companies because of the damage done by the Frankenfood panic)
    Digital industries will be delivering outstanding service globally, educating and raising standards except in Europe (where onerous EU mandates will inhibit growth on the grounds of protection of privacy and anti-american/sino protectionism)
    Technology will have reduced carbon emissions and tree planting will have soaked up much of the CO2.

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yes God forbid people have ideas on how to improve things... better to wallow in pessimistic guff ...

12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Devoid of partnerships?

sodalime likes this.
  13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Oops. I would prefer a habitable one.

sodalime likes this.
  14. Scintillant

Inhabitable and habitable are synonyms. The OED actually defines "inhabitable" as "habitable".

I prefer inhabit as I inhabit something, I don't habit it.

sodalime likes this.
  15. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

What you mean is "better to read something and put my own spin on it and accuse the poster of something that was not written". Nice one, (again) Ian!

16. Corvuscorax

I responded to you on the other thread. You do have some basic misunderstandings, as I m sure I do in some areas. I have answered some, but if you have other information, I'm interested in hearing it.

17. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I see where Lanokia is coming from, not that I can just agree.

I remember text books stating that fossil fuels would have been exhausted well before the year 2000. I had to write an essay about it in the sixth form.

18. blue451

blue451 Senior commenter

If they had been, we'd have been forced to find alternatives sooner.
    But we found fracking instead.

sodalime likes this.
  19. Corvuscorax

all predictions are based on attempting to take enough measurements to include the entire world as a model. That is never going to happen. We know almost nothing about many parts of the world, and can only take tiny samples of the rest.

So of course there will always be a very wide margin of error. And, unfortunately, people who don't understand that for what it is.

20. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter