1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The next step...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by monicabilongame, Nov 13, 2019.

1. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

We've had the 'legitimisation' of persecution of the unemployed, disabled, immigrants, the 'foreign' through legislation of government (deportations, refusal or withholding of benefits etc.) and attitudes of government and MSM. Now comes the next step of attacking the 'other' which, again, will undoubtedly lead to more violence and discrimination.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...a-dazaumW6lAwT8zIH3Oo5skIQ#Echobox=1573651002

This is how it begins: with a theatrical attack on a vulnerable minority. It’s a Conservative tradition, during election campaigns, to vilify Romany Gypsies and Travellers: it tends to play well on the doorsteps of middle England. But what the home secretary, Priti Patel, proposed last week is something else. It amounts to legislative cleansing.

2. Jamvic

Jamvic Lead commenter

This bit is the crux of the problem.

‘During the Conservative purge in the late 1980s and early 1990s, two thirds of traditional, informal stopping sites for travellers, some of which had been in use for thousands of years, were sealed off. Then, in 1994, the Criminal Justice Act repealed the duty of local authorities to provide official sites for Roma and Travellers.’

monicabilongame likes this.
  3. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

It seems it depends where a camp is, or who it bothers.When a school field was taken over, resulting in school-children being unable to attend and causing severe stress for parents who couldn't get to work, there seemed to be less done then when groups have gone somewhere that's bothered the rich and famous. Just as it's ok for travellers to take precedence at the GPs/to set up a camp at Manchester hospital while most patients have to travel in and pay for parking, but certain rich and famous people think they should have access to private care only for themselves. I worked with a Romany man some years ago, and he hated it when people called him a traveller!

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

It'll be interesting to see what happens when some middle aged middle class gammon faced Tory voting motorhome owner decides to stop overnight in the wrong lay-by. Confiscation? I doubt it.

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Is there any sound reason why trespass should not be a crime?

Monbiot is rabidly anti-Tory. In August 2015, Monbiot endorsed Corbyn's campaign in the Labour Party leadership election. In April 2017, he announced his intention to vote for the Labour Party in the 2017 general election.

I am not at all surprised that he had used his Grauniad column to publish some anti-Tory rhetoric.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    border_walker likes this.
  6. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

All over to George's village for a few months.
    (Not sure how he squares motor homes with his enviromental crusade)

nomad likes this.
  7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

To be absolutely fair - travelling people can sometimes be a nuisance. Three traveller vehicles rocked up at the local Tesco store last year and took over quite big section of the car park. They were there for about three days - it was difficult to get in and out of the car park and when they did leave they left a load of rubbish for someone to clean -up.

8. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

The problem is that like all of society, this group contains good and bad people.
    Many years ago now my wife had some washing stolen by a traveler whilst using a launderette. But she was given financial compensation after she complained to the local "King of the Gypsies" who was a family friend and not a traveler.

9. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

this completely nonsense claim totally invalidates anything else said in this source

10. Corvuscorax

where as most of us dump our rubbish out of sight in landfill or oceans.....

one is more conventional and aesthetically pleasing than the other, neither is better

11. Corvuscorax

This is a serious problem, and it is a problem that "free speech" definitely does not apply to. This is a group with educational underachievement, higher levels of criminal behaviour, and concerns about small gene pool, and equality for women.

I have discovered, as a teacher, you are not allowed to raise, discuss or query any of these things.

This has long been a concern to me.

12. Corvuscorax

One of the reasons this group is seen as"unsuccessful" by a variety of measures, is that typically, members of this group who become "successful" no longer identify as a member of this group.

13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

George Monbiot is the founder of The Land is Ours, a campaign for the right of access to the countryside and its resources in the United Kingdom. He cares little about the legitimate owners or users of land.

I very much doubt that either George Monbiot or @monicabilongame have personally had to deal with a traveller invasion of the school playing fields and its aftermath which, as a head teacher, I have. They will not, for example, have had to cope with the noise, the personal threats (including with the chain saw used to gain access), the thefts, the costs of having to sanitize the area including the removal of animal faeces (dog and horse) and human excrement deliberately smeared over goalposts and climbing frames. Removal of dumped domestic rubbish is a doddle by comparison.

As I posted earlier, is there any sound reason why trespass should not be a crime?

That said, this thread has little to do with "a theatrical attack on a vulnerable minority" nor an actual concern for that minority. If it was, it would be a campaign and an appeal for more transitory traveller sites. It is, in reality, just more anti-Tory rhetoric.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  14. Jamvic

Jamvic Lead commenter

You could send a strongly worded letter to the Guardian I suppose.

15. Corvuscorax

well, somebody probably should point out to the author that they are talking out of their ****.

16. Jamvic

Jamvic Lead commenter

Go for it. :)

17. Corvuscorax

I honestly can't be bothered, too much like hard work, I am just here to natter and relax.

But it is incredibly poor journalism