1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The new tes jobs home page - is it just me..

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by supply slave, Nov 18, 2011.

1. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

I agree with you! however, it is like anything, we need to get used to it!
    I am not up with what Beta is, but can say that TES did invite people to 'test' the new website and did ask for feedback in focus groups etc...
    Not everything is perfect yet, as you are finding with looking for HT jobs - however, as you are looking for HT jobs, you may be bringing in change to a school where they liked things the old way.. until they get used to the new, and realise the new is better...

2. jgx

jgx

Problem is that, in this case new is most certainly <u>not</u> better!
    Anyway, all credit to them for listening and let's hope that by next Friday, all is fixed. . .

3. If the web designers put a section on the first jobs page that allows us to type in our postcode and set a distance without having to select school type, subject etc., that would sort it.

4. haven't read evrything on here, so apologies if I'm repeating.
    Don't like the new site. too complicated. Under old system I could see all education related jobs in my region in one click- then refine search and interest. Looking for all the different jobs in my region would take me ages in new format. A highly unsatisfied and disappointed user.A big thumbs down:
    [​IMG]

5. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

but then there surely there would be complaints about people wanting to search by specific roles/subjects etc first?

6. hate the new job search lay out... sorry not practical at all

7. Old job search site was quick and easy to use. Please bring it back!!

8. Is there a faster way to do a general (all teaching/ non-teaching/ leadership) search in your region?

9. Hi spatel
    You could try typing in a keyword into the search box top right (but make sure you select jobs from the drop down list).

As an example I typed in the keyword Derbyshire into the search box and got the following list of resuls
    https://www.tes.co.uk/jobsSearchResults.aspx?area=jobs&keywords=Derbyshir
    Let me know if this works for you
    Best wishes
    Gail

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

OK, OK!
    This is Friday afternoon, of course, and Year 9 are not in the mood to learn anything new!
    So you want to see all the jobs in your area?
    Or, to be a bit more specific, all the Maths Secondary jobs in London?
    I've found 2 ways to do it, and I have had nothing whatsoever to do with designing this, so I am coming to it cold, just like you.
    Number 1
    a) I write London in top RH box, making sure I select jobs. Up they all pop (need to scroll down to see them, of course).
    b) Then I choose Teaching and Lecturing on LH menu list (not Non-teaching, Not Leadership)
    c) Then I choose Secondary
    d) Then I choose Subject - Maths
    e) Bingo!
    And I now can, if I want, see all the ads, the new ads, or even the closing ads - for jobs I need to apply for in a hurry. I like that.
    Number 2
    a) Starting afresh from the Jobs frontpage, in the red box I select Secondary
    b) I get a box with subjects, I choose Maths
    c) On LH side I do Location - United Kingdom
    d) Then I choose London.
    e) Bingo!
    Not too hard, and I'm an oldie so I'm supposed to learn more slowly than you. If I can manage to teach myself to use it, then so can you!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

11. You've explained how to search for Science jobs, but since science is separated into four categories (science, chemistry, physics, biology) I'd have to search four times to check all possible jobs. I live in the middle of 13 different LEAs and the TES site made it a lot easier to see all Teaching jobs in the North West quickly, now it's more long winded.

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, that's true - was it like that before?
    But you can just choose "North West" and it'll show you them all - you don't HAVE to go down to the level of each LEA.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

13. Hello everybody,
    A number of people have asked why TES Jobs has changed and I'd like to explain the thinking behind the new design.

Over the past six months we've been working with users of TES jobs to understand how we could improve the job search experience. Our analysis showed that some of you were either getting too many or too few search results and we wanted to make it easier and quicker for our customers to find the jobs relevant to them.

Our testing revealed that most users started their job search by pinpointing their role or their phase and that's why we've put these options up top at www.tes.co.uk/jobs.

Once these selections have been made we wanted to make it easier for customers to filter the results to exactly match their needs. So at that point you can now carry out a postcode search to find jobs local to you or you can further drill down by contract term, contract type and grade.

When you've got your list of relevant jobs, it's then easy to save this search so you can go back to it again quickly and easily and to create a job alert so the latest relevant jobs are emailed directly to your inbox. To get to your saved searches again log onto TES, click on your username in the black bar at the top of the page and then select My jobs.

As well as improving the relevance of search results we've also addressed some very specific requests. For example you can now filter the job results to show the newest jobs at the top or to view those positions that are coming up to their closing date. Some of our users also told us they wanted to have a map view with real location information rather than just a general image highlighting a region, so we've also provided that feature.

Having said all of this, we do understand that our updates will take some time to get used to and they may not suit everyone's requirements. Let me reassure you we are collecting and responding to all of your feedback and we will be reading it in detail over the next few days and it will help us make any necessary changes.

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, it's much appreciated. You can contact us at any time at help@tes.co.uk

PS you can still do keywords searches for jobs. Here's a link to help Jobs keywords search help

Best wishes
    Gail

14. Scifihel

Scifihel New commenter

Gail -

I am sorry but you are still not getting the point. I live near the border of three counties. I have ALWAYS done a postcode search only as it throws up ALL the available jobs within my specified radius. Keyword searches rely on us guessing the potential keywords which might be in adverts. I have to try a whole set of different words and have done this today and have ended up with jobs which are relevant, but also jobs in Malaysia, on the other side of the country, which I then have to sort through.

The facility to search by postcode existed before - it should be possible to put it back in. You (and various others) just pointing us to a help page to help us do something we don't want to do is not useful.

15. Thanks that did work...
    ...but preferred the 'visual' map format- where hovering over an area would give you an indication of avilabilty at a glance. New format not very user friendly- sorry :(
    (it wasn't broke so why mend it?!)
    Happy weekend all.

16. Is this a way to increase sales of hard copy? I can only assume they gave someone on work experience free reign. Or is it another of Michael Gove's brainwaves?

17. The filtering system was there for those who wanted it. The map system worked. This one is terrible. Admit you've made a mistake and return to the format that worked. What annoys me most is the lack of choice - if I could I'd take my custom elsewhere.

18. You're missing the point though. 'all jobs in your area' is different to 'all jobs in secondary maths in your area'. I want to see ALL jobs in my area, not filtered by Secondary or Special or Leadership.
    I work in special needs and the jobs advertised come under a range of categories. They don't always appear in the Special Needs category. Sometimes they're advertised as a teacher of KS2/3, somtimes just as a literacy or numeracy teacher, sometimes they have leadership attached because they're running a small unit.
    In order to search thoroughly, I still have to check the map view in Secondary, then in Special, in Middle, Primary and any other category which might possibly have that unusual job that just fits my unusual range of experience.
    Can't we just keep the new style front page so all the clever filters are there for people who need them, while adding the earlier suggestion of a postcode search without having to first go into a category?

Gail - keyword searches don't work in this instance. I could keyword search 'Cheshire', but I also look for jobs in Warrington, Greater Manchester, North East Wales, Wirral, Liverpool, Merseyside. So I'd still have to do several keyword searches for my area.

It's not just a case of 'getting used to it'. I am a prolific internet user and find it easy to adapt to changes but this change is not only not useful, but a hindrance.

19. jgx

jgx

They'd be foolish to try to do so this way, the TES make a big thing to potential advertisers about the power of their website. Their own figures speak for themselves:
    Print copy: 500,000 readers per week
    They alienate their web users at their peril!!
    I'm afraid it does rather look that way. . .

20. I totally agree with all the comments saying the new jobs page is a change for the worse. This is an appalling piece of design. It fails to understand why people might be looking for a new job. Usually people are after a change so restricting their searches to specific jobs titles denies them the opportunity to see something they might not have considered.The fact that most leadership jobs have many different titles for the same thing doesn't help either.
    Bring back the simple 'all results in an area' approach. Please............