1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The new tes jobs home page - is it just me..

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by supply slave, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Hi Thingwall,

You can still do a keyword search. That will then give you a list of all related jobs - regardless of phase, location or funding status. You can filter down the results using the links on the left.

Hope this helps,

Will

2. jgx

jgx

Thanks Will, that's one problem sorted and it works exactly as it used to/should. Now let's hope they can give us back simple browsing like that for UK based jobs.

3. Dear Ake,

If you do a keyword search for "Headteacher" you can filter out Deputy Headteacher and Assistant Headteacher vacancies as follows:

Type in "headteacher" in the search box at the top and then on the left hand side of the screen, click on the "Leadership" link, then click on the grey "Position" heading.

You'll see options such as: "Headteacher", "Deputy Headteacher", "Assistant Headteacher". So if you only want Headteacher listings then click on the "Headteacher" link.

Note: you can do a keyword search for more than one term. So if you put in both Headteacher and Principal in keyword search you will get search results for jobs featuring either "Headteacher" or "Principal" or even both terms.

Hope this helps.

Will

4. How is this an improvement over the old site?

I don't want to choose my role/sector first before I can see available jobs. It was much easier to click on an area on the map and see all available jobs - I really don't understand what the problem with this was. I'd be interested to hear what TES's reasons were, and if people had been complaining (and what the complaints were about).

5. Hate the new site - not intuitive at all

6. There's no charge for using the site, so arguably users' opinions are of no consequence; but if I were an advertiser, I'd be concerned that my ad may not be seen by as many potential candidates.
    Maybe job searches have been made more difficult so that we buy more paper TESs..?

7. It would seem that my OP has hit a nerve. I agree it took me just three clicks to find what I wanted, now (and I have just counted), it takes me seven. No improvement private equity owners of TES - give us back what we had - change for change sake is no improvement..

8. ake

ake

Will,

I've found a solution that meets my needs which is to click headteacher, entering my postcode and pressing search. I then alter the distance value in the browser's search bar to 400 to give me national coverage. I then filter to secondary.

It's disappointing that a 'geeky' solution is needed when previously a lay person could have done a national search.

9. As I said - over complicated when there is no need.

10. Hi lauh88
    Here's how to search by science jobs by area.
    From www.tes.co.uk/jobs select Secondary from the Teaching & Lecturing list
    Then select Science from the subject list
    On this page you can now refine your search by geographical area by typing in your postcode and defining how far you're prepared to travel. Or you can select the UNited Kingdom option from the Location filter and then further narrow down your earch by regions. Alternatively you can click on the Map view link in the red bar right hand side.
    Hope that's helpful. Let us know if you need any more information
    Best wishes
    Gail

11. jgx

jgx

<font size="2">Will, this is definitely NOT an
    improvement. It is over complicated and frankly ridiculous. TES charges huge
    sums of money to place ads with them - more and more people are accessing these
    ads via the internet and as the advertisers are paying for this service,
    accessing the pertinent information should be as simple as possible for the target
    audience. </font>

Also, given that a growing
    number of users (myself included) access the jobs page via a smartphone the
    whole thing is even more of a faff.

I&rsquo;m afraid that this is a
    classic example of design being put before functionality.

12. Hi you can search headteacher positions by using the keyword search and
    typing in "Headteacher". you will see all the Headteacher jobs. On the
    left of the page there are filtering options allowing you to refine your
    search. If you select "Leadership" then "Headteacher" and the under
    workplace select "independent prep school" this will list all the jobs you
    are looking for.

13. Can it really not be done? This. Is. Awful. I need to just be able to search by local area, not specific roles and titles. Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrgggggghhhh!
    This is turning out to be a really bad day at Unemployed Central.

14. Scifihel

Scifihel New commenter

That still doesn't answer the question about how to see ALL the jobs available (state, independent, SMT, teaching, exam board.....) within a given radius of my postcode. I used to click, type postcode, click and got pages of jobs. It was useful to see how much recruitment is going on in my area for various reasons. I can teach science, maths, secondary, primary, 6th form college, or even the local FE college. I want to see class teacher and Deputy HOD/HOD jobs - anything within a 20 mile radius of my postcode.

How do I do that?

15. jgx

jgx

Hi Eddie,
    The problem is, as had already been said, with this method, you end up with 'Head of Various' and Deputy Head coming up - also, some Headteacher roles in the Independent sector are called 'Principal' and these will be missed by a 'Headteacher' Search. Plus, on a smartphone it's frankly a pain to have to do it that way. . .

16. Agree with above!!
    Not Happy with the lack of functionality with the new site.
    Show me a map with all jobs in an area I select, then let me decide if i want to find out more about a particular one.
    Who knows what my next job might be?
    Well on your search tool it could only be a job that i knew existed and would search for.
    No more career curveballs..........
    How can you get a feel for a school or location, i want to know how many jobs are going at each individual school, not just the roles or subjects i search for.
    In the past you can see a school has 5 - 6 posts up for grabs, you can fill in the blanks as to the rest.
    I know that someone has spent a great deal of time designing this new site, but it is not fit for the end users.
    All i want is the regional map back, a map that shows me ALL jobs in the areas I select, please do not neglect those of us who might want to work across phases and subjects

17. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

if you click on TEACHER, then on next page type in your postcode, it will give you all jobs in your area, regardless of subject etc.. which you can then filter down into secondary, primary, role etc... you can also adjust how far the search circle is from 5 miles to 50 miles, with 20 set as default.

18. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

I am going to be controversial here and say that you have hit the nail on the head - TES is a business first... we do not pay to access this service, it is free. TES has also spent many months deliberating the changes they have made, to make it easier and more convenient for users. TES researched how many 'clicks' various things on the front page received and found that most people were not clicking the map or the subject/role areas but were actually typing in the subject/role etc that they wished to search for. Once you have a play around with it, like you have to with new phones etc, I think you will find it easier to use!

19. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The new map function is very useful.
    Under the old system you might have missed out on vacancies just over the border from your chosen region. This way, either by using the postcode/distance range function or by selecting the map button in the top right you can see where a school is in relation to your town and the motorway network and decide if a more distant school is worth considering as it's easier to get to.

20. jgx

jgx

However, without us people accesing the service, there is no business. They can charge what they like to advertisers but if 'end users' can't be bothered to access the site because it's too over-engineered then it's game over!
    I've seen no evidence to back this up. Was there a 'Beta version' of this new website available? Were users invited to test the 'Beta Version' (Met office are currently running a Beta Test of their new site and have been for a month or two: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/ )?
    That aside, I've just (this second) received this reply via email, so all credit to them for listening to our views:
    Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. I am sorry that you are finding our new jobs section difficult to use. We do recognize that there is an issue when searching for Headship jobs and we are hoping to have a fix in place by the end of next week.

Meanwhile, when looking for all Headteacher (Independent Senior) jobs in the UK, we recommend using the keyword search facility at the top of the website. I recommend using the keyword 'headteacher'. Once you get to the search results page, you can narrow down the results by using the filters on the right hand side.

More information on how to get the best out of a keyword search can be found at the following link

https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storyCode=6138770

Below highlighted link gives you all jobs matching your search criteria

https://www.tes.co.uk/jobsSearchResults.aspx?parametrics=grp-2,cat-10502,cat-10470&keywords=headteacher<a title="blocked::blocked::https://www.tes.co.uk/jobsSearchResults.aspx?parametrics=grp-2,cat-10510,cat-10470&keywords=headteacher&page=1&FilterType=8
    blocked::https://www.tes.co.uk/jobsSearchResults.aspx?parametrics=grp-2,cat-10510,cat-10470&keywords=headteacher&pa">[/URL]

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused and do contact us again if we can be of any other help.

Regards,
    Harminder

Online Customer Service Manager
    TSL Education Limited
    26 Red Lion Square
    London
    WC1R 4HQ