1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The new tes jobs home page - is it just me..

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by supply slave, Nov 18, 2011.

1. .. but I don't like it. I much preferred the old lay out where I could click in an area (e.g. North West) and then refine my search by subject. Can I have the old one back please. Oh no wait a minute - just figured out how to do it - please ignore.

2. No, don't ignore! How can I search for Head positions in Independent Prep schools without having to go through each area/region individually? I don't want to search by region, I want to search by position and workplace. How? Am I missing something? Please help!

3. ake

ake

I agree completely - if you want to do a large geographical search e.g. the whole of England, you can't!. I've emailed feedback@tes.co.uk to complain.

4. jgx

jgx

What a TOTAL disaster! Typical example of something being meddled with by someone who doesn't actually use it 'in anger'. I want to be able to see all Independent Headships in one hit - not go trawling through endless pages. International jobs? Have the TES stopped these then because I can see no direct link to them? A TOTAL disaster - if left like this then I can see eTeach very quickly taking over!

5. How do you doa search by area? I am science so I need to search science, chemistry, physics and biology :(
    The previous system let me see at a glance how many positions were advertised for each subject in a 20 mile radius but the new one seems a bit more of a faff!

6. OK I've worked out that if I click Secondary, then Teacher, then type in my postcode, then click the subject tab on the left it gives me figures for each subject. Hopefully I can save this in my favourites for easy access.

7. The new search method is too slow. Can we please have the old search panel back? It was so easy: select region and click. For a teacher who can teach more than one subject in more than one type of school, and is prepared to travel within his/her home region, this is the quickest way to search. The new method is fiddly and unintuitive.

8. Scifihel

Scifihel New commenter

The old method was the best, especially if you wanted to see all possible jobs - any subject, independent/state, other workplaces (exam board etc). Just tried a postcode search and three jobs came up, when yesterday there were three pages of jobs. :-( This is pretty poor. Have emailed feedback.

9. Most of the jobs I applied for weren't on TES anyway. Looking at my local council teaching jobs site ('your council jobs', which shows all teaching jobs in the Greater Manchester area), there are 5 pages (around 30) Primary teaching jobs including a mix of maternity leaves and SMT jobs with a TLR payment closing in the next few weeks. This is compared to 1 job on the TES in that area.

10. took me ages to work out how to search! That's a huge design flaw to begin with. Tiny box in top right hand corner!

i like that we can now view new jobs only and if you click on map view, you can view the job locations on a map.

11. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh, only just been able to view this 'new look'. Will probably take us all a while to get used to things.
    To answer your question aboit searching by position and workplace. I tried clicking on the Leadership option in the centre of the large red box on the right hand side. Which took me to a page with a number of options including LOCATION, WORKPLACE, SUBJECT etc. If you click on the Workplace option there's then a choice of schools including Independant Preparatory and Independant Senior.
    Don't know if that's any help. We'll probably have to play around with it for a while.

12. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

To ake,
    re your query, there should be an interactive map which enable you to zoom in and choose jobs closest to you. I think you locate it by choosing your 'stage' Primary, Secondary etc. and then look at the 'map view' on the thin red bar on the right hand side.

13. Hello,
    Thank you for your feedback on the new TES jobs. We wanted to let you know it is still possible to search geographically but we have now allowed you to narrow down your search by phase and role before you go into the map view.
    For example if you're searching for a secondary English teaching job...
    From the TES jobs home page you'd select Secondary under the Teaching & Lecturing heading
    You'd then select English from the subject list
    A handy new feature on this page lets you find jobs in your local area - you type in your postcode and the distance form that postcode that you're willing to travel to work and then click on the Search button
    To see the map view from here just click on the Map View button on the right hand side of the red bar towards the top of the page.
    There are a couple of other ways to get a map view of your jobs;
    1 If you select by phase or role from the www.tes.co.uk/jobs then you also get a location listing.
    2 And if you do a keyword search (top right of the screen) and then choose between
    Non teaching
    Leadership
    Teaching and lecturing
    And once you've made the selection you can then narrow down you search using postcode or click on th links under the location heading
    Hope this is helpful. Don't hesitate to email us at help@tes.co.uk if you need any further information
    Gail

14. jgx

jgx

So, in the 'good old days' seeing all the Independent
    Headships available was a 30 second, 2 click operation. Now I have to:</font>

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">

</font>

3 Click Work
    Place</font>

8 Click Work
    Place</font>

13 Click Work
    Place</font>

18 Click Work
    Place</font>

23 Click Work
    Place</font>

28 Click Work
    Place</font>

33 Click Work
    Place</font>

38 Click Work
    Place</font>

43 Click Work
    Place</font>

48 Click Work
    Place</font>

</font>Come on TES, this is NOT progress! The simple fix it to add
    a link via Teaching & Lecturing => Independent Preparatory =>
    Position => *HEADTEACHER*

</font>

15. ake

ake

Gail, our complaint is not about the functionality that you have added. It's about the functionality that has been removed. Will you put back in the search facilities that I, timetogo and jgx have asked for?

16. Hello jgx,
    You can get to see the independent headship jobs in fewer clicks by doing the following:
    1 Type in headteacher in the keyword search box top right of any TES page and hit return
    2 From the filters down the right handside select Leadership
    3 From the workplace filters on the right handside select either independent prep or independent senior
    Do email us at help@tes.co.uk if you have any other comments
    Best wishes
    Gail

17. ake

ake

Gail, I have tried this but because you are searching for 'Headteacher' you also get Deputy Headteacher and Assistant Headteacher vacancies. Schools that name their Headteachers 'Principal' would not get captured by the search. The old job search tool does not have this problem

18. jgx

jgx

Dear Gail,
    I've just tried that (the filters are on the LEFT hand side on my screen but maybe that's just a display issue):
    a. it's STILL not as easy as the old 'Click, Click'
    b. there are all sorts of other jobs coming up (Director of Pastoral Care, Deputy Heads, Director of Studies).
    Please, don't do an Ofsted on us and try to tell us that a square wheel really does work better than a round one if you push it hard enough. . . Whilst I'm sure the new features you've added will be appreciated by a great number of people, there were features in the old version that made things like simple 'All Job browsing' a breeze. Those features have gone - please may we have them back?

19. thingwall

thingwall New commenter

I used to click my subject and look at all the jobs 'cos I can work at all levels, am prepared to travel and like to see State and Private. One click.

20. [quote="jgx"International jobs? Have the TES stopped these then because I can see no direct link to them?]

Dear jgx:

There is now a dedicated International Jobs channel page.
    http://www.tes.co.uk/international-education-jobs

There is a link to it from the Jobs homepage (http://www.tes.co.uk/jobs/) it's the first link under the heading "Featured channels"

From the International Jobs channel, you can filter results using the results on the right hand side, eg: "Independent Senior" which then lists all International jobs in that category.

Hope this helps.

Will