1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The 'new' Ofsted and significant issues

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by dc521, Feb 19, 2012.

1. dc521

dc521 New commenter

Yep, this was another problem we faced as well.

2. Pure fiction. This is just the sort of nonsense that gets everybody in a flap about Ofsted. All you have to do is get hold of recently awarded grade 1 reports, match them up to the Raise data if you can get it, or failing that get the DfE stats. Most awarded grade 1 reports do not have sig+ for all groups. Many do not have sig+ for all attainment indicators over the past 3 years either. I have one right in front of me that shows some sig- on the GCSE APS actually, and the school scored grade 1 for all five grades.

3. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

Well we have sig plus for all groups except HA boys and girls and that is the reason we were not given outstanding.

4. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

Actually that's not strictly true.

Despite 40% of our Y4 pupils making 10+ APS from end of Y2, 4 children didn't make any progress. "In an outstanding school all children would make progress."

Despite inspectors seeing only excellent behaviour, when they spoke to the children, they said that sometimes children run in school. "In a school with outstanding behaviour and safety children wouldn't run."

Despite fact that in all lessons children were working above age related expectations "There wasn't the challenge for HA children"

Leadership and Management were ,in their opinion, the closest to outstanding, but "If L&M were outstanding then progress for all groups would be outstanding."

5. Dusty, that's all about your own school. We weren't there, we don't know the circumstances or what was seen. The point that cats1 was making was that if you are not sig+ across the board, then grade 1 is not possible. That is factually incorrect, with case history proving it. It's important that readers of this forum are aware of what is fact and what are unsubstantiated rantings which might spread panic.

6. Robby64, I can assure you this is the reason we were given by the team in discussion and we are not significantly across the board only half, so did not expect an outstanding but were in discussions re good versus outstanding. We asked what we would need for future reference and this was the response. I can only assume the inspector knows what they are talking about! I would not wish to cause panic over an already stressful situation but as we were firmly told it does come down to your yearly data with other judgements supporting as evidence. In our experience the data was heavily weighted in comparison to the other judgements, including teaching and learning. I'm pleased your experience was more positive, it gives me hope that outstanding may be achievable one day! We shall keep on trying, roll on the next one!