1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The new "Northern Powerhouses"

Discussion in 'Personal' started by yfel_endwerce, Oct 23, 2015.

1. yfel_endwerce

yfel_endwerce Established commenter

After a long and slightly heated argument today with some old colleagues I've had a long look at the new devolution arrangements signed off today up North,
    The two areas seem to be covered by two new(ish) combined authorities (CA);
    1. Tees Valley Combined Authority (TVCA)
      this all of Teeside from (just north of) Hartleppol to Redcar (and bit south) and as far west as Darlington
      This group will get an elected "mayor" in 2017 (if Govt plans hold fast)
    2. North East Combined Authority (NECA)
      Which covers all of Northumberland, Tyne & Wear and Durham County
      This group will get an elected "mayor" in 2017 (if Govt plans hold fast)
    I'm not going to try too hard with the former as I can see a case for such closely linked areas (in terms of population, size and business types/investment needs) that might well see any possible benefits from the scheme being both viable and, possibly, sensible.
    Others who know the areas better can if they wish (feel free)

So let's look at the other CA
    This covers a fairly vast land area amongst which are some fairly large centres of population and industry (such as remains anywhere in the North East anyway) surrounded by massive amounts of rural countryside sparsely populated and with a largely agricultural employment base
    Take a look at the maps if you don't know the areas involved.
    In the southwest it starts up in the Pennines west and slightly south of Bowes (near Tan Hill Pub) travels up centre of the hills to the Scottish Border west of Haltwhistle and travels up that border to the coast at Berwick.
    Then you go down the coast to just north of Harlepool and southwest to a few miles west of Darlington just south of the river Tees.
    Altogether some 7800Km²

In which some 1,900,000 people live, more than 1,100,000 of whom live in Tyne and Wear.
    And all of this area, with its massive cultural and economic differences is going to be handled by a single authority which will be responsible for funding and driving its economic recovery, maintaining what crucial services it can and will be led and driven by a single Mayor.

All that I can think of is that the population should be praying that they don't get a mayor like the last two in that centre of political excellence called London
    Well at least that is the politest thought I had :D

2. maurice-r

maurice-r Established commenter

I thought Leeds and Manchester were to become the new northern powerhouses when London businessmen arrived half an hour early on HS2?

3. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Unfortunately with cuts and all, you can't have the same back office function each for Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Durham, Newcastle, Runcorn, Hartlepool etc.

Which will lead to redundancies but will also increase efficiency.

If this 'Northern Powerhouse' gets funding than it is good as most money/investment seems to stay within the M25.

However, am I the only one to think that with the deification of Manchester and now the North East, the poor old West Midlands has missed out?

4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Waste of money.

5. yfel_endwerce

I agree
    Haven't they lost way more than that already?

6. yfel_endwerce

Possibly but in terms of real efficiency rather than "efficiency" (currently being used to mean reduced costs alone) probably not

7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

The problem could be the type of work they see coming to the area.I would assume most of the skills of the middle aged are based around heavy industry and so woul dhave to be reskilled. I an sure many of the folk would welcome the chance to work.last i visited places like Sunderland and Tyne and wear the place seems to be suffering a great deal form underemployment...although the young folk do seem to have cash to blow it on various entertainment.
    I have no doubt they can work hard and take on a the role of industrial producers as they did in the past.....but it would require massive infrastructure to be made and huge re-skilling......unless your thinking only service industries like shops and banking/office.
    The huge cities of Manchester and Liverpool not to mention Birmingham are also desperate for huge injections of capital to provide jobs,

8. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Their first move will be to negotiate a move to Scotland, won't it?

9. yfel_endwerce

They'd have to improve the roads first ;)

10. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Elected posts will put the needs of the majority first because that's how you get re-elected. It doesn't bode particularly for the more rural populations whose needs and interests may be forgotten.