1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The new normal... anything to add to this list of 20?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by red_observer, Aug 5, 2020.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We've been menu planning for months now - with my wife working again I've been doing most of the cooking and I've been making meals in sufficient quantities that last two days. Going to the supermarket in the early days of lock down was a real ordeal but I go at 7.30 am now (with a list) and am in and out within 15 minutes.

I really need to go to the landfill site but it's a real pain to book a time but it must be done next week.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

One thing I have really noticed is that I have lost my desire to travel. I've been out of the county I live in once since March. Going abroad just doesn't feel like an option right now and we have no real plans to go anywhere else much this Summer.

3. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

I’m not even thinking about leaving England or when I’ve been back to Wales! No offence to my Scots and Irish friends!

4. red_observer

The world snooker championship in August!

5. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Having my husband under my feet all the time. Pre-covid we were like ships that passed in the night but now he can't play or watch football and won't go to the pub, he's a permanent fixture.

emerald52 and red_observer like this.
  6. red_observer

Every cloud...;)

7. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Senior commenter

Going further than 5 miles feels like exotic travel

emerald52 and smoothnewt like this.
  8. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I’ve not managed that yet.

9. red_observer

Playing a musical instrument has been a delight.

ACOYEAR8 likes this.
  10. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I realise how much I took the physical side of life for granted. I can't shake hands, pat a shoulder, comfort, hug, kiss.

11. red_observer

Saying that... this elderly person I never met before went to shake my hand yesterday
    ... I had to refuse.

ACOYEAR8 likes this.
  12. red_observer

As you get older you go to more funerals than weddings even in covid

13. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

cissy3 likes this.
  14. red_observer

Far too many people with so called brains supporting the Tories. Disturbing.

15. Aquamarina1234

Remembering all those (ALL) 80s weekends when you were skint, paying a 15% mortgage and hoping someone would take your kids for less than £100 for 48hrs so you could attend yet another wedding.
    Maybe you have to be old like me.

emerald52 and jubilee like this.
  16. red_observer

I was on a student grant .

17. Aquamarina1234

A. Student. Grant.
    Imagine how many young people now hate you for just saying it.

18. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

That may have been the date when you could start getting your vehicle MoTed again, but it doesn't mean you have to. I just checked. My car's MoT ran out in May, but according to the government website, it's good until December..

19. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

That may have been the date when you could start getting your vehicle MoTed again, but it doesn't mean you have to. I just checked. My car's MoT ran out in May, but according to the government website, it's good until December.

20. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If our children weren't welcome, we didn't go. We just about managed the present, travel and hotel (if it was too far to get home the same evening). That mortgage rate had us on our knees financially.

emerald52 likes this.