1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The new KS2 Curriculum in MFL

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by mlapworth, Jun 12, 2011.

1. mlapworth

mlapworth Occasional commenter

The message that you found (which you mention on another thread) dates from 2005. Prior to that there was a KS2 MFL SOW of 12 units intended to be delivered to just year 6, I think. (Or maybe years 5 and 6). Then a few years ago they came up with new schemes of work for KS2 which were intended to be taught across years 3 to 6 (ie. the whole of KS2). The intention was that all primary schools should teach MFL at KS2 - I think they had until 2011 to get this teaching in place. The plan was for this to become statutory, but the last govt ran out of time to get it through parliament, and the new Con-Dem govt hasn't really said anything about it, apart from that schools should "carry on" with what they were doing. Meanwhile lots of primary MFL funding has disappeared, along with primary MFL advisors etc. I'm sure others on here can tell you a lot more about the current situation. But my understanding is that you aren't expected to adopt the schemes of work (any more) - it's up to you.

2. Sol22

Sol22 New commenter

thank you very much for the information! I really appreciate it![​IMG]

3. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

Learning a language in KS2 remains an entitlement until we hear otherwise.
    The funding for PML has been reduced by 1/3 for 2011-2012. The 1/3 that has gone is the 1/3 that could be retained by LAs, which is why so many consultants have been made redundant. Schools are receiving funding for PML via their DSG.
    Many resources for KS2 are based on the QCA units 1-24, as well as the KS2 Framework for Languages, which is a very useful document.
    [​IMG]

4. mpillette

mpillette New commenter

As Geekie says, KS2 languages remain an entitlement until further notice. There is a curricumum review going on at the moment and I understand the coalition governement are making positive noises re. languages, so let's watch the dotted line.

As for resources (QCA units of work, KS2 Framework, etc.) none have ever been compulsory. The KS2 Framework, however, is the only point of reference available for primary languages since the national curriculum programme of study for languages only applies to KS3. The Framework therefore remains a key document for planning teaching and learning in primary schools. The KS3 Framework - which was revised in 2009 - follows the same structure and therefore facilitates joined-up thinking.

5. can i just re confirm this, MFL is in the ks2 framework, so schools are obliged to teach MFL in ks2, but it is their decision how much time is allocated to the subject. it is not a statutory requirement of the ks2 national curriculum. it does not undergo statutory assessment. so all primary schools must teach it in ks2 in one form or another????

6. runaway

runaway New commenter

Nearly ...
    The KS2 Framework is a framework for languages only - it is not the whole curriculum. It's the same as the KS3 Framework in that it is not statutory but sets out a much clearer scaffolded way of planning and teaching languages than the program of study (which is compulsory only for KS3/4).

The primary curriculum as a whole is out for review but the recommendations that have been accepted to date include making languages a statutory part of the KS2 curriculum for years 5/6 from 2013/14 depending on when everyone gets their act together in the coalition and actually gives a positive steer. In the meantime it is still under review wether languages for 3/4 will be part of the core curriculum.

The KS2 legal entitlement still officially stands - but the 'legal' bit of it only kicks in apparently if a parent, governor or 'interested party' male a written request to a school to offer languages and it is upheld by governors. Never heard of this having happened.... However the entitlement recommends an hour per week for all children in years 3-6 inclusive. Some schools are doing this as they were all systems go before the coalition and where it was successful they simply continued to do so. Schools which were struggling, not ready etc. are most likely to have abandoned this unless they had strong parental/governor support for languages. All schools have been receiving the funding for primary languages as part of the DSG but as this is a bundle of money made up of all sorts of sums from various sources for various purposes from SEN to FSM and every acronym in between, and considerably smaller than most schools budgeted for it is very difficult to unpick and the money is certainly not ring-fenced or even clearly marked. Schools are not even told exactly how much it is!

There - so your answer is hmmm yes no maybe, depending on how keen your feeder schools were/are. Hope that helps!

7. funambule

funambule New commenter

Runaway is absolutely correct- on all counts!