1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The new Edexcel Certificate

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Spanishone, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Is this the answer to those that dislike controlled assessments? It has now been accredited and counts towards the ebacc and league tables. There are three exams - listening, reading/writing and speaking. Aqa have a similar one but not sure it is accredited yet. It looks good for those that want to get back to teaching and not having endless weeks of CA prep etc.
    Is anyone considering it?

2. acesarato

acesarato New commenter

Sounds like a breath of fresh air ! Too many students end up tackling the writing and speaking Controlled Assessment from scratch on the day of the test.... if we get to teach them the language properly at least they'll be better armed for spontaneous writing/speaking when they are facing the exam. And the other, more conscientious students would do well anyway.
    Has it been accredited though? I cannot find any info on it on their site.

3. We're going to have a look at it!

4. We are going for it (deep breath). Liked what I saw/heard in London at meeting last week. Goodbye CA! Not a decision taken lightly, and not without difficulties, but on balance this seems better. We are a state school with a good number of borderline students. Anyone else in similar position taking the plunge? Would love to share thoughts.

5. gsglover

gsglover Occasional commenter

the AQA one has also been accredited

6. also, with a deep breath, we are taking the plunge. State school also, large cohort, better things to do with our lives than un-paid exam board work (sorting out all the CAs for posting, marking etc!)

I also don't think it is any harder than what we have now, just a different skill set, and the hard reading question in the reading section looks hard, but my research has shown that this is compensated for by the more generous grade boundaries that are applied.

We were very frightened, but when we though about the amount of time we spend fretting about results now, we realised it wouldn't get any worse if we changed, and at least the teaching time would be more pleasant.

7. Very interesting - Edexcel have been very reticent with me about this. Do you have examples of grade boundaries per paper?

8. gsglover

gsglover Occasional commenter

I doubt that such things exist yet. AQA has been doing testing of new writing and speaking exams in schools so there may be something similar going on with edexcel

9. I just emailed the "ask the expert" thing, and asked for the grade boundaries for the last two years, so i could run them as trial exams. They were 80% for A* 70 for A 60 for B and 50 (ish) for C (or thereabouts) as compared to 93% for A* in AQA CAs. There are also no UMS conversions as the exam is not unitised.
    Obviously, the old boundaries are no guarantee for the future, but that's never been the case with anything.

10. Hi. Has anyone queried the title of the qualification for the state school version (i.e. "Certificate" as opposed to "iGCSE")? The concern at my school is that it may well be considered inferior to the iGCSE by colleges/universities/industry, even though the exams for both qualifications are identical, hence prejudicing state school students. Any comments much appreciated.

11. That did cross my mind but I am sure we will be able to find a form of words that students can use for applications etc. As a Scot I remember always having to explain that CSYS - Certificate of Sixth Year Studies - was equivalent to A level but don't remember ever having problems. I also think the exam boards will have to make sure the certificate is well known and out there. The benefits of this outweigh the nomenclature, for me. If its properly understood, this qualification should give students the edge as there's more depth and breadth.

12. The AQA website says their certificate doesn't qualify for Ebacc points yet. I think the Edexcel one does because it's more established.

13. This point was raised at a meeting I went to recently - it can't be called anything which includes the term 'GCSE' because there is no CA element in it (something along those lines) so state schools have to call it a 'Certificate'. Could be a prblem selling it to the pupils and parents in the first instance but I would suggest the advantages make it worth the effort. Fair point about universities etc - but I am sure the certificates will quickly gain currency.

14. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

How about GCE 'O' level [​IMG]