1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The New Bedroom Tax

Discussion in 'Personal' started by NellyFUF, Jan 25, 2016.

1. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

On another thread and deeply deeply rambling a bedroom tax for the middle classes has been proposed. Like that levied on the very poor but for those who are not in that category
    What are the pros and cons and how would such a tax impact on you.
    What would any funds raised be used for.

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Where Nelly?

3. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

It will be inconvenient knocking through the walls to reduce the number of rooms.

4. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Marlin - on the migrants board ferry thread - and I suggested it - little rambling soul that I am.
    Fritz grade - that is why the square foot method might be use, although, most houses sell according to the number of bedrooms so there would be little point in knocking out walls to pretend you only had one bedroom. Status is derived from how many bedrooms and ensuites you have. You must have seen all these housie programmes on the telly, with people aspiring to cavernous hotel type living spaces. Look on a property website for hilarious examples of where this has been done by people who didn't have the style and furniture to produce good outcomes and instead have created aircraft hangers.
    Perhaps there should be a tax on knockthroughs too.
    And paved front gardens.
    And extra parking spaces.
    And barbecues.
    Plastic windows?
    People could avoid the tax by offering rented room to those in need of housing.
    We could certainly fill them with needy humans who are camping in France at the moment.

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Are you prepared to house a few migrants Nelly.although a few hardy souls have.most have found it does not work for a number of reasons.not least being the culture clash after a shot time of living together.
    At the moment we can not build enough homes for all those here,let alone all those who see us at the golden land.If we did bild them then we would be a concreted land.........or standing room only.
    Why shsould folks ife styles,those who have worked ,slaved,saved etc mad to be paid more, or forced to change other than under their own consent?
    We should adopt what Australia used to do which if accepted the get a sum of money the told to get on with it,and that i think should apply to all who come to outr land.After all if you went to another land they wont give you anything unles syou bring it with you.

6. marlin

marlin Star commenter

You can leave me and my spare bedrooms alone Nelly! ;)

Between us we have contributed plenty in tax to the government. Mr Marlin is still contributing. We are in that generation too that have elderly parents to support (monthly allowance, plus meals cooked and petrol costs for doctors appointments and the like) and adult children who need our support at times too. There are more than enough bites being taken away from our income.

FritzGrade likes this.
  7. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Whilst I am not averse to offering temporary respite, though who would vet the proposed "refugee" as they would have to be CDB checked as I work with children, but I have 2 bedrooms still occupied by one full time "child"..... at 40 years old *sigh and the other child keeps a bedroom for her visits home though they are getting fewer. Alas though, younger child isn't on the housing ladder and has some tenuous rental in London. My 4th bedroom is filled to the rafters with teaching resources and the books from 2 degree offspring who both did either entirely english Literature or partial.

8. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Me and mine too! And I'm not winking.

racroesus and marlin like this.
  9. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

No. Absolute not.

10. FritzGrade

Why would I want to rent a room to an unemployed pickpocket?

monicabilongame likes this.
  11. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Ah you again Fritz, you new- timer you.
    You would want to do that of course, should you be an owner occupier, because those who live in social housing are not able to do so. Obvious.
    And you are so close to a naughty report!
    Due to the fact that that is a very racist comment.
    And quite inhumane too.

12. FritzGrade

So report me using your spurious allegation of racism. I don't believe it is a human right for migrants to live in any country of their choice.

13. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

When I think of the fact that this flat isn't big enough for two of us, let alone a third person (although yes, we do have a "spare" room) it makes me despair. At the moment, it has all of my partner's things in it and doubles as his study because there's no space in our bedroom.

I appreciate that is a first-world problem but first of all I think I'd expect all those people who own a second home to have to rent them out before I'd be happy with someone else crashing in my flat. I feel for the refugees, I really do, but would I enjoy being cramped in my own home? No. Sorry.

ScotSEN likes this.
  14. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Funnily enough, I have a spare, albeit tiny, box, room that is currently my office/dumping ground/study den. At one point, we were considering moving one of the kids from their average sized rooms into the little box room so that we could take in a lodger in order to ease our finances a little. Unfortunately, it'd be incredibly difficult with such young kids to find someone that I'd trust enough, and who was willing to curb their single person lifestyle to fit in with a young family that wasn't their own.
    If it came down to offering a refugee child a room though, I'd sort out my spare room with all the necessary stuff and sign up straight away tbh.
    I think the 2nd home thing is a good idea, but those that can afford the luxury of both a country retreat and a city pad are also likely to be the kind of people who can pull the strings necessary to ensure that when it comes to sharing resources, their resources are not the ones being shared out.

15. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Much easier to vote out any half-witted government that proposed it.

16. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I suspect if this DID become law, the results would be a huge growth of anti-immigrant political parties, street violence against those thought to be immigrants and a general rise in intolerance.

17. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

You forgot to mention war between those for and against in society.

18. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Wow
    It was only a minor taxation opportunity. If it is fair to tax the poor over the size of their accommodation then it must be fair to tax everyone?
    It was not going to be a huge burden. Perhaps £10 a year. Which would raise some useful funds. It could also be means tested.
    Providing rooms for others was only a second thought on the matter.
    Are we not willing to pay taxes to support the common good?

19. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Aren't you backtracking a bit here, Nelly?

20. FritzGrade

There is not such tax, as well you know.
    It will cost > £10 to do a means test. So no net benefit.
    You were not proposing to use it for a common good. The government already takes 65% of my income for the common good. That seems enough?

racroesus and Lascarina like this.