1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The NEU certainly does not speak for me over their CV stance!! They are shameful.

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Luvsskiing, Apr 16, 2020.

1. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

It's funny how that keeps happening ...

2. EastLondon

EastLondon New commenter

Incidentally, anyone know where I can join a Britain approving teaching Union?

3. harsh-but-fair

A what?

Pomza and ridleyrumpus like this.
  4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I asked only because you said you were agreeing with someone.

---

Just being welcoming to a new poster. No reason to be so prickly.

5. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I believe the major change is the chairman for the BMA (Dr English) is now saying a tiny risk should be equated with 'safe'.

Decent article here from 'The Sun' that covers this and more on the issue :
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11673942/school-kids-low-risk-catching-spreading-coronavirus/

6. Summerhols6

Summerhols6 Occasional commenter

The truth is that no one knows for certain how this virus is spread (every way). We have been told it survives on surfaces for X-amount of days, that mail should be okay. Kids don't spread it but schools have been closed around Europe that did reopen. We will have to live with it of course. The biggest 'crime' is how so many people have died in care homes, this is not the pattern anywhere else and for this, this government should be answering questions. If a Labour govt had allowed this to happen, the Right Wing press would make sure that Labour was already on public trial. it seems that the deaths of thousands of people in care homes is less important than branding teachers 'lazy and militant' along with the Unions.

7. ChrisH77

ChrisH77 New commenter

As another forum lurker, who only occasionally posts, I’m becoming increasingly frustrated how fear and confusion has totally trumped calm consideration.
    Evidence that Swedish schools continued throughout are suspect because it’s not Britain. How about ONS statistics that teachers are only 2/3 as likely as the average occupation to die from Covid-19, and that 4/5 of deaths among teachers have been from other causes (accident and illness)? Two months past the peak level of infection (just after lockdown), it is back to where we were at the end of Feb, when we returned from half term to school as normal - everyone in, full classes, packed corridors, etc.

To my mind, calls for ‘more research’ and ‘preventative measures’ suggest that the ‘lockdown’ has developed a life of its own - we’re here because we’re here because we’re here... One might speculate that, if they had stuck to their guns, and lifted as soon the NHS was over the peak, then more resources might have been freed for care and protection of the elderly, with few deaths overall. For schools it would have been back as scheduled for the Summer Term, and we would not be in this rabbit-in-the-headlights state: afraid of what’s coming, but afraid to flee, in case that’s not safe.

In the evidence of our own experience in Feb/Mar and the official stats from recent months: isn’t there much to support a conclusion that the risk to children is minimal, that the adults face less risk in school than they do outside, and that there seems little cross-infection between school and community; and isn’t there rather little to support fears of children getting ill, of teachers catching it, or of schools contributing to what happens next?

Of course, that could all be mistaken. But amongst all the noise and band-waggon-hopping, isn’t a small voice of possible common sense allowed?

peter12171 and dumpty like this.
  8. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

Not where the hard left is concerned, @ChrisH77 . You only have to look at what a few of them post on here to see that!

9. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

Whilst it seems fairly clear that many on the hard left have seen this pandemic as an excuse to attack the government, and the NEU have not helped themselves by appearing obstructive (it's a normal hard-left mindset and it's not easy for them to shake it off), their hearts are surely in the right place in terms of caring for the welfare of their members and the kids we teach.

Extreme statements from both sides aren't helpful. A measured discussion is needed, and a genuine desire to engage and not fight.

For what it's worth (not much, really) my view is that a slow and steady return, with small classes split between available teachers and with very clear rules, is possible from the start of next month. But I think that very young kids are the wrong ones to start with. Ideally, I would start with Y6 in primary schools and Y10 in secondary schools, for the obvious reasons that any teachers on here will understand.
    I would also make returns voluntary for teaching staff, so that nobody felt pressured if they have specific circumstances to make them concerned. (Depending on staff and location, that might well mean that some schools opened and some didn't, but that for me would not be an issue.)

I'd be happy to start back on that basis and my HT is aware of that. I gather I'm not alone, from what he has said.

peter12171 and Rott Weiler like this.
  10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I would be happy to do summer catchup lessons. As it is the holidays I would expect double my daily supply rate.

Lalad and ridleyrumpus like this.
  11. harsh-but-fair

For once I think you might be right.

12. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

I think you meant "I think you might be right for once".
    :D

13. harsh-but-fair

Oh dear.

14. Lalex123

Lalex123 Established commenter

The information is too conflicting and the ‘science’ continually contradicts itself. I’m not saying never go back, or I’m afraid to go back. I’m worried to go back now, considering every other successful country has put measures in place to ease lockdown in schools. It’s not just the risk we are trying to avoid, it’s also the mentality of people once we are ‘back to normal’. Kids will be kids - do you think they’re going to go straight home after school? Who is looking after the younger ones? Are grandparents just collateral damage? What about the widening gaps for children with pre existing health conditions? What about the staff who are vulnerable? What about the shopkeepers who are open to the queues of kids lining up to get sweets after school? Or the ice cream men who are forced back to work?

In every industry, employers are making it safer (not no risk) for their employees to come back to work. What do we have? No budget, no social distancing and no PPE. Why? Why are companies spending money on this? Why are schools in other countries spending money on this? Why are our government telling us it’s safe for children but not opening parks to just children? Why are other governments putting extreme measures in place but we have nothing? Why are other governments doing checks to authorise individual schools to open, but we are loading this responsibility into head teachers who are not virologists and are not supported effectively to make this decision?

This thread is an example of what Denmark are doing. They have less deaths than us. They also have less dense cities. If they are doing this, why aren’t we?
    https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1263028885157011456.html

15. crumbleskates

crumbleskates Occasional commenter

This is the tricky thing. I am not interested in politics at all but making a judgement about leadership i.e. BJ, who will be used as a model of how not to lead and manage in the future, does not make me leftwing or anti British.
    I agree we could have found better more personalised ways to do this but that option was not on the table, (Government).
    We would not be where we are now if lockdown had happened 2 weeks earlier, (Government).
    The level of risk facing staff now is higher due to that decision, and now the shambles of a relaxed lockdown (see beach photos in media) with desperate police officers putting themselves at risk and having no powers, is adding to that risk.
    Is it morally right that I make ill informed dangerous decisions that create high risk and then tell someone else they have to go and take the consequences?
    That is not about Right/left/ anti British/ anti Government(s) per se, it is about what is right, what is fair and what is legal.

16. physicsfanboy

physicsfanboy Occasional commenter

To represent their members, they have to advocate for them. Nothing they have said is unreasonable, unless you work for the Daily Fail. Given that the government is evil and incompetent, they can't just gently suggest.

Lalex123 likes this.
  17. adultsocialcare

adultsocialcare Occasional commenter

To represent their members, they have to advocate for them. Nothing they have said is unreasonable, unless you work for the Daily Fail. Given that the government is evil and incompetent, they can't just gently suggest.

A few dozen speaking for half a million without consultation is not democratic, especially on such an important, basic issue, and especially given that Labour want children to return, TB want's children to return, children are at more risk not being in school, children have a tiny chance of catching C19, and measures are being taken to stage return with spreading out etc etc. I disagree - much of what they have said is unreasonable e.g. not marking books. I disagree that the Government is 'evil and incompetent'. They are the elected Government, and have done okay in an extremely difficult, novel and fluid set of circumstances. People seem to forget that nothing was known about this virus, how it behaves, that there was no reliable test, no reliable treatment and no vaccine. There still isn't, just a lot of opinions. Too many people with agendas here, and reverting to political type rather than helping.

The NEU I'm afraid, is starting to look very silly and very hard left. They do not appear to be helping, they seem to object to everything, they do not seem to understand the aim is to get the schools open and are setting themselves up for a lot of trouble in the future.

They do not speak for me.

18. greygaunt

greygaunt New commenter

I take it then that you are not a member and that if you are you will be terminating your membership without delay.
    It is sad to see so many posters using this as an excuse to air their own personal and political prejudices. For me it is a health and safety in the workplace issue.
    Having recently lost a long term friend to Covid-19 (aged 48 with no health issues) It seems to me that this is potentially deadly respiratory infection about which we are still learning. The extent to which children spread the virus is still in doubt.
    Therefore if schools are to return it must be a cautious and carefully phased return that meets the government’s own safety standards. This appears to be what the NEU is asking for or have I got it wrong?
    A return to school in June is necessary but the way in which it is done must be carefully monitored.
    Let’s not not use this as an excuse to air our own (increasingly strident and unpleasant) political prejudices.

Lalad, Lalex123 and strawbs like this.
  19. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

:) We can hope...

To be fair I don't agree with every single thing the NEU say. It would be a nonsense to expect to agree with everything. The NEU has to represent the views of thousands of members, I won't always get my view as the union line. But if it ever became the case that I disagreed with more than I agreed with, I would move my membership elsewhere. No fuss needed.

vannie, Lalad, Lalex123 and 1 other person like this.
  20. adultsocialcare

adultsocialcare Occasional commenter

To all the returning teachers and children, have a great day today!