1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The NEU certainly does not speak for me over their CV stance!! They are shameful.

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Luvsskiing, Apr 16, 2020.

1. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

I think you may have a case of selective readingitis. Why is that one sused.?

2. rolls

rolls Occasional commenter

I have been amazed at how good the NEU has been at consulting members. In my local area they have set up local Facebook groups, held online union meetings (larger than the real world ones of the past), sent out a survey as soon as the announcement about returning was made and regularly sent emails to members and reps.
    My experience is that school staff, especially support staff, are joining NEU and completely behind their stand. The NEU are not against opening schools but it needs to be done in a sensible way.
    Why on earth would you open primaries with the youngest (harder to socially distance, not good at personal hygiene, known as carriers in normal times) and oldest (no longer invested in the curriculum - perhaps bring them back for the last few weeks for a leaving experience).
    Start with years 4 and 5 but only when there are testing, hygiene and distancing procedures in place.

3. Josh7

Josh7 Occasional commenter

Spot on on all points.

I really want to know the rational for opening for the youngest first.

I really want to know why secondary schools aren't being opened in a similar way to primaries - if it's safe enough to open for R & Yr 1, then it must be safe enough for a couple of Year groups at secondary level to go back properly - not Yr 10 & 12 having some 'face time' with teachers but not a proper return. Surely we 'owe it the youth' ?

Personally I don't think either primary or secondary schools should be opening yet. It's simply too early. We owe it to the general population to not become hot beds of transmission and help fuel the second wave of infection.

ridleyrumpus, wolvochick and Lalex123 like this.
  4. wolvochick

wolvochick New commenter

I am a member of the NEU and I agree they support is great and I am fully behind their proposal. I am really shocked by some of the things I’m reading in this forum. Ultimately it’s like this the British Medical Association has said that it is unsafe to open schools so what on Earth is the issue? Many countries such as Italy with high death tolls are not opening schools until September thats the right way forward. If the schools reopen too early there will be a second spike which will then take out September and we could lose the first term if the next academic year - nobody wants that.

5. adultsocialcare

adultsocialcare New commenter

Politics aside, this is a unique situation, so I'm very uncomfortable with a lot of the stuff coming out of the NEU. Even trying to wade through the Daily Mail rhetoric, they do seem to be making a lot of endless announcements and proclamations, many designed to be impossible to meet and designed purely to stop schools returning. Why are they doing this? They need to work with the Government, and need to try much harder to not come across as aggressive and obstructive.

On NEU consultation, I'm a member of the NEU, too. I have received "updates" (many of which contain points I do not agree with) but I have not received any requests for my views, no requests to attend local meetings virtual or otherwise, have received no questionnaires and no two-way communication.

Why?

I'm very uncomfortable with the NEU at the moment. They are contributing to everyone's woes, not helping to solve the problem. They are not representing my views with their aggressive 'my view is always right and we know everything' approach. They are not helping to get students back in school.

6. ridleyrumpus

One question.

If you are having to sift through the DM rhetoric to get to what you think maybe what the NEU have announced/advised why are you using the DM for your source of information?

phlogiston and letap like this.
  7. ridleyrumpus

"union are simultaneously opposing any return to school while also refusing to countenance online lessons is not sustainable."

Strange thing is, they have done neither.

Sure they have said no marking of books but as a form of protection, there is not much point in SD'ing if you then take home their books.

If work is online then marking is fine.

EastLondon and strawbs like this.
  8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

"...or ever". Are you sure? NEU want schools never to re-open? Schools to be abolished? Seems unlikely, but maybe you can link something which can be interpreted that way?

phlogiston, strawbs and ridleyrumpus like this.
  9. adultsocialcare

adultsocialcare New commenter

I am very concerned about the NEU stance as well. They seem to be doing their very best to be aggressive, unhelpful and obstructive. This is a difficult situation for everyone and all Governments, but the NEU are making everything worse, and putting children in continued danger, by not working towards realism, practicality, not accepting that no solution is perfect. Next they'll be advising members not to work because three children a year are knocked over by cars each year outside schools and their members are also being put at risk doing car duty.

As for consultation, I've received "updates" containing points, many of which I don't agree with from the union. Yet no one from them has consulted me. I've received no questionnaires, had noone phone me for my views, no online forms to fill, no virtual meetings to discuss this. I'm afraid I agree that the NEU does not speak for me on nearly everything it has said recently. Not going back in June in a staggered way like many other countries, and not marking books? Lunacy!!! They are in danger of making all unions look ridiculous.

So much so that I have just cancelled my membership.

TheHeadteachersOffice likes this.
  10. Lalex123

Lalex123 Established commenter

Are they not the same types of tactics Junior doctors followed? What would you suggest?

11. Summerhols6

Summerhols6 Occasional commenter

Did you listen to their webinar? Do you know what their concerns are? Do you have any different solutions to get schools to reopen safely?

12. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I assume that at some point you forgot to update your details with them. Go to your membership area and check. Or you once sent something to junk and now all emails from the NEU go to your junk folder and you never see them.
    To be part of local groups and meetings, you probably need to have been so before covid-19 for the branch to have a usable email address and mobile number for you. Contact your branch and ask what's happening.
    You should also speak to your school rep who can help with sorting out contacts and ideas on how you can be more active.

strawbs likes this.
  13. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Apparently they are not quite saying that now:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/19/bma-drops-opposition-schools-reopening/

In an apparent softening of its stance regarding pupils returning to the classroom, the doctors’ union admitted there was “growing evidence that the risk to individual children from Covid-19 is extremely small”.

However, it cautioned that there was still no consensus on how easily children could spread the disease to vulnerable adults.

14. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Meanwhile, it was reported yesterday that in northern France, several schools had to be closed just a week after reopening when a cluster of seventy new Covid-19 cases were found to be linked to the schools...

15. Lalex123

Lalex123 Established commenter

When I read that statement, all I think of is the risk to adults and more research (or alternatively, more preventative measures) needs to be in place.

I feel the rest of the country read that sentence and think teachers are collateral damage.

ridleyrumpus likes this.
  16. EastLondon

EastLondon New commenter

I completely agree. I would go far as to suggest the union is solely focused on geting rid of Boris than caring about the welfare of our children. A senior doctor from Sweden recently said that amongst all the discussion about whether their approach was deemed to be successful he can confidently say keeping schools open was definitely one of them.

17. EastLondon

EastLondon New commenter

Yes I would agree there is a call for schools to be closed teachers to be sacked and AI to be incorporated with only one staff member to monitor 50 children. See USA education model and UN agenda 30.

18. EastLondon

EastLondon New commenter

The more we destroy our economy, the more we are dependent on the decisions from who funds us in the future- that would be the private sector who value compliance and efficiency over freedom and human rights.

19. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

The NEU are not calling for that.

Who is calling for that in the UK? (Who are you agreeing with?)

Incidentally good to see that after being a TES member for 14 years and never posting before you've now taken the plunge and made your first three posts (all on the same thread!). No posts then three come along at once, like buses! Welcome.

strawbs and harsh-but-fair like this.
  20. EastLondon

EastLondon New commenter

The NEU would not tell you if they were, you need to read between the political lines.
    Do I have to be agreeing with someone or could I have my own opinion?
    Interesting to see you care about how long I have been a member and where I post my comments.