1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The NEU certainly does not speak for me over their CV stance!! They are shameful.

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Luvsskiing, Apr 16, 2020.

1. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

That’s simply not true.

I have the news channel on in the background all day. Virologists are regularly on and being asked about this.

There’s a range of opinion on transmission, but all have been clear that there’s no high evidence either way, and until we know otherwise we should assume they can transmit.

As for them being unlikely to catch the virus, the evidence is strong there. You’re wrong. Children catch this as easily as anyone.

People have taken the low mortality rate among children and mistaken that for the ability to catch and transmit, and these are completely different things.

One thing noted on Monday. Anyone coughing and sneezing less is probably less likely to transmit that way. However, you can still transmit through touch, hence the hand gels.

Classrooms are full of hard surfaces and hard objects where we know the virus lives. Desks, hard plastic chairs, glue sticks, rulers, pens, shiny text book covers.

And we’re talking about cramming a lot of people into relatively short spaces, for long periods of time. 16 people in a room for 7 hours a day together?

2. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

Here’s the latest:

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52003804

I note “Whether children are spreaders or not remains "one of the many unknowns with the current coronavirus outbreak", says Prof Matthew Snape from the University of Oxford.”

That’s quite different to the uninformed “All the evidence shows that the groups of children identified for attendance in August are highly unlikely to catch or transmit the virus in any meaningful way.”

Please stop spreading disinformation.

Lalad and peter12171 like this.
  3. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

The problem is, how do we define premature? Is June premature? Will September be premature, as it is likely that the virus will still be around then? Is anything premature until we have a vaccine and the majority of people have been vaccinated to produce the infamous ‘herd immunity’?

We simply can’t define premature, and won’t be able to until several years down the line. At some point, however, we need to start making a move back.

4. SarcAndSpark

SarcAndSpark New commenter

In Denmark, where I believe class sizes are being kept <10 students + 1 adult, they think the R number has increased by 0.3 since schools have gone back. That would probably take us in England back over an R number of 1, which the government claim to be keen to avoid.

I'm not against a phased return to schools- but I think the current proposals are too much too soon. I think it should probably be one year group at a time, with 2 weeks between each year group going back so that we can see the effect that year group is having on numbers of cases more clearly. I also think teachers should be provided with PPE.

As a member, I have shared my thoughts with the NEU via the survey they sent out. I've also shared my views with my union rep in school. Personally, I feel glad to have a union that's speaking out and representing the interests of their members, even if I don't 100% agree with everything they've said.

Catgirl1964, Lalad and strawbs like this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I think the perception of premature is 'while death and infection rates are still so high'. Dates are largely an irrelevance.

Lalad and harsh-but-fair like this.
  6. letap

letap Occasional commenter

Corrected.

7. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

The issue isn't 'should schools start returning'. That is the elected Government's decision to make. The issue is the beligerent, obstructive and unhelpful attitude from a few hard left people at the top of the NEU, who are dreaming up barrier after barrier after barrier, without any consultation whatsoever of the half million members, the vast majority of whom are being fully paid and want to get back to work asap.

These Herberts are driven by their political agenda, not what is best for their members and especially for the children, who are being deprived of an education and are subject to dangers whilst not being in school.

The NEU needs to firstly consult, secondly stop being so obstructive and thirdly, realise that it isn't the Government but needs to work with them in a positive way, make positive, realistic suggestions.

Therer are no winners in this pandemic but the hard left agenda-driven NEU leadership are the biggest losers.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

So, presumably, to make this claim, you have consulted with all members?

And, just for the record, can you tell us what the current stance is from the NEU? What are they working on right now that is so obstructive?

9. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I admire your persistence CTB in trying to get evidence or a reply from Luvsskiing or get him to engage in debate. Good luck :)

10. caterpillartobutterfly

I got back to work tomorrow... got to try while I can!!

Rott Weiler likes this.
  11. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

12. greygaunt

greygaunt New commenter

You are clearly unwilling or unable to engage in a meaningful debate with other posters. Your comments appear to be driven more by your apparent populist right wing prejudices than anything else.

13. caterpillartobutterfly

100 000 members answered a survey after Boris' announcement on Sunday evening.

7% were in favour of supporting Boris' idea to reopen schools on 1st June.

7500 teachers/support staff have joined the NEU since Sunday evening's announcement.

Hmmmm seems the NEU are speaking for teachers...

14. caterpillartobutterfly

A total of 4.5 hours yesterday and today in four different zoom calls.

Branch extraordinary general meeting: 20 participants

Training and discussion with regional officers: 10 participants (training is twice a day for about a fortnight, so will be a total of about 200 reps just from my region by the time they finish.)

National Reps Q&A with Kevin and Mary: over 1500 reps

Regional Reps Q&A: over 300 reps

Plenty of consultation going on if you want to get involved.

Catgirl1964 and strawbs like this.
  15. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Oops, you forgot to edit again (shakes head)!

'The NEU leadership is doing its best to work in the interests of teachers and children, by urging the government to work with schools constructively and politely, rather than producing guidelines that have not been thought through. It is to be applauded for its efforts.'

(You're welcome...again:))

16. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

17. physicsfanboy

physicsfanboy Occasional commenter

Your trolling is not funny in this context. This is a serious matter. It is life and death for some. Your amusing interjections are tasteless here. Go away.

phlogiston likes this.
  18. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

It never existed.

19. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

"All the evidence shows that the groups of children identified for attendance in August are highly unlikely to catch or transmit the virus in any meaningful way."

Cough BS Cough

20. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

Rubbish.

It would be a pretty poor Union that didn't demand assurances, backed by evidence, that it was safe for their members to return to work.

Perhaps it would be better if the gov had included the unions in the planning to reopen.

By not doing so the gov has left the unions in a no win situation in which they have to take the current stance.

When making a deal always give the other side an out.

Catgirl1964 likes this.