1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The NEU certainly does not speak for me over their CV stance!! They are shameful.

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Luvsskiing, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

I'm absolutely disgusted by the NEU !!!

They haven't consulted anyone about the CV, yet bang on form, they come up with a hard-left, Guardian-readership-friendly objection to everything and anything to do with working, getting kids back in school, measures that need to be taken in school, asking impossible questions in an impossible situation, being totally belligerent instead of making helpful, collaborative, positive, suggestions, acting as if the virus wasn't a pandemic that we are all fighting hard against. Even their tokenistic so called 'Coronavirus feedback form' is a total joke:

https://neu.org.uk/coronavirus

nothing to do with the virus at all and making sure that members can't tell them their viewpoints in detail. it smacks of them being able to say they 'consulted' when they have done anything but. That disgusting email they sent out on the 15th April asking everyine to sign up to their impossible agenda shows that the dozen Labour MP wannabes in charge of the NEU have made up their minds what the view of an organisation representing hundreds of thousands will be.

The NEU is an undemocratic total disgrace to teachers, schools and this country.

Very, very angry at them and the little emperors running it.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    Lilac18, Jonntyboy, a1976 and 2 others like this.
  2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Why do you care,I thought you were retired?

3. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Did you not read the letter sent from the NEU to the Prime Minister on school opening?

(copied from the NEU website)

Dear Prime Minister

We are writing to you on behalf of the members of the National Education Union. First, let us say that we wish you all the best in your personal recovery from the virus.

Our members are hard at work, supporting the children of key workers and vulnerable children who are still attending schools. They are helping efforts to support vulnerable children at home. They are doing their best to support children’s learning in these unusual circumstances.

We are pleased that you, other ministers and Chief Nursing Officer have acknowledged their efforts in helping NHS staff to be at work.

Our members are disturbed, however, by increasing media speculation that schools will soon be re-opened. We consider this speculation to be most unhelpful: it may undermine people’s resolve to stick to social isolation. We are disturbed that it is seemingly being stimulated by unnamed Government ministers.

Given that an early return to full school populations will mean an increased risk to our members and the children in their care, we are writing to ask you to share your modelling, evidence and plans.

As a matter of urgency, and certainly well before any proposal to re-open schools is published, please can you share with our members:

• your modelling of the increased number of cases and mortalities among children, their parents, carers and extended families, and their teachers and support staff, as a result of the re-opening of schools.
    • whether such modelling is based on some notion that social distancing could be implemented in schools. (We ask this because our members think it would be a foolhardy assumption.)
    • whether your modelling would be based on concrete plans to establish regular testing of children and staff, availability of appropriate PPE and enhanced levels of cleaning - with all of which we are currently experiencing severe difficulties.
    • whether your modelling would include plans for children and staff who are in vulnerable health categories, or who are living with people in vulnerable health categories, not to be in attendance at school or college?
    • your latest evidence concerning the groups of people who are most vulnerable to death or life-changing consequences as a result of the virus, for example the evidence of the impact on those who live in crowded accommodation, those with different comorbidities, those from different ethnic groups and of different ages and sexes.
    • whether the Scottish Parliament, the devolved assemblies in Wales and Northern Ireland and our neighbours in the government of the Republic of Ireland agree with your plans.
    Further, given that in re-opening schools and colleges, you would be asking our members to take an increased risk, we believe they have a right to understand fully how any such proposal belongs within an overall Government strategy to defeat the virus.

In this context, please could you give the firmest of indications:

• whether you are developing plans for extensive testing, contact tracing and quarantine in society as a whole? Our members see that countries successfully implementing such strategies have many fewer cases and many, many fewer mortalities than we do in the UK.
    • if you are developing such plans, how long it will take to put them in place and how low the number of virus cases needs to be before such a strategy can be successful?
    • whether you intend these plans be in place well before schools are re-opened. (This seems essential to us.)
    • if you are not developing such plans, what is your overall approach and is it dependent on an assumption that those who have had the virus are subsequently immune?
    • of your assessment of the strategies in place in South Korea, where there is a clear policy of testing, contact tracing and continued school closures?
    We have written to you as representatives of staff who in the event of schools re-opening would be asked to accept an increased risk for themselves and the children they teach. You will appreciate that our attitude to the issue of reopening is dependent on the answers to the questions above.

Again, we wish you well in your recovery and in your efforts to bring our country through this crisis. We restate our willingness to work with you on finding solutions to the problems posed by the current situation.

We look forward to your urgent reply.

Yours sincerely
    Mary Bousted Kevin Courtney
    Joint General Secretary Joint General Secretary

Marisha, Jonntyboy, Stiltskin and 2 others like this.
  4. DrResource

DrResource New commenter

This is the reason I joined EDAPT!! We all need to work together during this crisis. By all means protect those teachers who fear to get the virus due to health issues. But for me, someone who is likely to be fine (99% of people), I'm ready to get back. There will be more deaths and illness from economic collapse than all the people who die from the hands of Covid19!

The quicker healthy people get it, the faster we can get herd immunity.

boatie, Jonntyboy and Luvsskiing like this.
  5. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

That's a bit selfish.

The children who go back may well spread Covid-19 to others at home - allowing you to work because (it seems) you are bored might cause many detahs.

Incidentally where is your evidence for the assertion 'There will be more deaths and illness from economic collapse than all the people who die from the hands of Covid19!'?

And also the proof for stating: 'The quicker healthy people get it, the faster we can get herd immunity'?

Marisha, vannie, JL48 and 5 others like this.
  6. DrResource

DrResource New commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52308783
    9/10 people who die already have pre-existing problems. By all means, protect this group. However, the vast majority will get flu-like symptoms and then get back to work.

The indirect effects are going to be massive - debt-ridden households, lack of support for those with other life-limiting diseases, an increase in poverty. These are going to be BIGGER issues than Covid19!

The more people exposed to the virus, the more immunity there will be in the population. Development of a vaccine is going to take a while.

7. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Why not just come out with it and admit you support eugenics?

Marisha, vannie and JL48 like this.
  8. DrResource

DrResource New commenter

Whoooaa there Morningglover! Far from it! I'm a realist!

Yes, we are in a crisis. This is an option I am suggesting that would have the least impact.
    The virus isn't going anywhere. We need to find a way to live with it until Biological science can produce a vaccine.
    I, for one, am not going to be isolated ad infinitum and see my family being out on the streets as we can't pay our mortgage!

Nature and natural selection have a part to play. This is not eugenics!

Jonntyboy and Luvsskiing like this.
  9. physicsfanboy

physicsfanboy Occasional commenter

Trolling is one thing, but deliberately spreading misinformation about a disease that is
    killing people is morally abhorrent. Shame on you.

Marisha, vannie and JL48 like this.
  10. physicsfanboy

All looks pretty reasonable to me. You must be very far right to describe it as 'hard left'. Also, if you think the Guardian is hard left, you really need to go and have a lie down. It's vaguely leftish some of the time.

11. DrResource

DrResource New commenter

Not trolling, using FACTS and EVIDENCE! In fact at my age and health, I would say I have lower than 99.99% chance of dying of Covid 19. More likely to die from a heart attack! Covid19 only killed 7% of total deaths in March.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...=402df8628d2874b6af8d53debe948388#main-points

12. DrResource

DrResource New commenter

and another bit of evidence from the ONS
    "Despite the Covid-19 outbreak, the overall mortality rate for March was “significantly lower” than the five-year average, the ONS said.

It suggests this could be due in part to the colder winters in 2015 and 2018, which led to a higher number of deaths in the winter months."

13. DrResource

DrResource New commenter

What I'm trying to explain is that, yes, it is upsetting to see what is going on, but it's a fact of life. People will continue to die from viral infections until the end of our species. Whilst it is too soon to go back to school, we WILL go back and IMHO, the sooner the better for all of society. Take precautions by all means, but to damage the education of the next generation will have repercussions far more severe than any pandemic!

14. physicsfanboy

Herd immunity actually means all the susceptible people dying (until we get a vaccine).
    If you are happy for the elderly and / or ill people to die sooner to allow the restarting of the global economic machine that manufactures imaginary credits for the good of a handful of people at the top end of society, then you are a sociopath.

Marisha, vannie, padraig and 5 others like this.
  15. DrResource

DrResource New commenter

I'm pretty sure I said the vulnerable need protecting. However, people die, a fact of life! Regards being a sociopath - I follow rules, I'm a teacher!

16. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

Ah, @Luvsskiing, who takes a principled stand against China and Amazon, when it suits, upset about the principles of the NEU.

I was under the impression that this poster was overseas so unaffected by the NEU; I must be mistaken.

Marisha, vannie, JL48 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Sally006

Sally006 Senior commenter

I agree totally. I’m no fan of George Osborne but the other day he made a good point about the economy: we can’t have a healthy economy if we have a sick nation. Go back too soon, resurgence of the virus and the economy will be in worse trouble. It’s a difficult balancing act for sure but we should only return with measures to minimise risk in schools are clearly in place.

18. bobtes

bobtes Occasional commenter

well @Luvsskiing, may I suggest you immediately leave the NEU if you feel that strongly.
    Personally, as a member and a rep, I feel very well supported by them during this whole covid-19 period.

19. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

You forgot to add one highly significant statistic from the ONS: out of those who died with Covid-19, in 86% of cases, Covid-19 was found to be the underlying cause of death. This suggests that while those with pre-existing health conditions are more likely to die, the underlying cause is still Covid-19.

Marisha, vannie, ridleyrumpus and 2 others like this.
  20. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Absolutely this!

Lots of advice on their website.
    Several zoom meetings and telephone conferences to ask questions of the general secretaries.
    A lovely branch secretary who rang me earlier when she knew I'd had some bad news and let me cry about it.
    Regular emails and updates from those at the top.
    A lively FB group of members and reps for support and advice.
    Several WhatsApp groups for advice and support.
    A real voice in the media.

What more can we ask?

Do I agree with every single little thing that is said? No of course not. But I'm blinkin glad they are there.