1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The negative doom laden thread for all things supply.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Caldwellthe1, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Caldwellthe1

Caldwellthe1 New commenter

Lets face it.
    At the moment with record levels of supply failing to find work it is hard to say much that is positive.
    Please share all negative posts here.

2. Fraccy

Fraccy New commenter

I keep biting my tongue (metaphorically) every time these threads come up. It's not all bleak!

It seems that the reduced supply work is due to the financial squeeze on schools. Supply teachers are only expensive because of inflated agency fees. But what if agencies could be excised from the system...?

Imagine there was a supply teacher pool that schools could access directly. A supply teacher could receive an automatic notification on their phone, respond to it immediately, and go do the job. Payment could go straight from the school into the teacher's bank account.

The technology to do all of this exists now. No agency is needed.

This is what we (a team of professional developers and I) have been working on for the last 9 months.

There: something positive.

PizzoCalabro likes this.
  3. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

At this rate the forum will be condensed into just 2 different threads.

PizzoCalabro likes this.
  4. Caldwellthe1

Caldwellthe1 New commenter

I do hate to shatter your illusions, but myself and billions of others are going direct to schools already with CVs. It still does not work!
    Schools have to pay the teacher. It is still expensive so many cannot do it( I have had this straight from the horses mouth on a many occasions I have been networking). Face it. It's difficult times

5. Fraccy

Fraccy New commenter

The crucial service that agencies provide - vetting, identity checks, etc. - can't be replicated by sending CVs directly to schools. I didn't mention it in the previous post, but we've taken care of that side of things too.

Cutting out agency fees could potentially halve the rate a school normally pays, without impacting the teacher. Of course, we'd like teachers to be able to increase their pay too: meeting 'in the middle', since the agency would no longer be able to parasitise the process.

This thread is still positive! ;-)

watermelongirl65 likes this.
  6. splinters

splinters Established commenter

Good luck with your app/service but not all supply teachers sit with their bag packed poised to head out when they get the call. If its automated how does it deal with asking a teacher if they would or can cover a different subject, what if they are not available, does it just go down a list reeling off other potential candidates and sending them notifications? What if the first one gets back ready to take the assignment, has someone else already got it? Will it negotiate a daily rate, will it arrange the assignment in advance or on the day. Unless all schools have linked software, how will the data get into the system reliably and swiftly?
    Its this and more why the agencies will stay in business...sadly.

7. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Many schools are affected by tight budgets this year because of increased pension contributions last year and NI contributions this year. They are conscious of not wanting to make existing staff redundant and hoping at the nth hour some additional funding will come along. I fear that this will not come along and there will be more people looking for supply next year.

8. Fraccy

Fraccy New commenter

splinters: we're not quite ready to promote any app at the moment, and I don't want to hijack this thread further, but basically, yes - we deal with all the situations you mention, elegantly and efficiently.

Very soon, agencies will no longer be needed, and with their demise the entire supply teaching system will change.

watermelongirl65 and wanet like this.
  9. watermelongirl65

watermelongirl65 New commenter

Viva la revolution! Good luck, Fraccy:D

10. pixiewixiepixie

pixiewixiepixie Occasional commenter

"The crucial service that agencies provide - vetting, identity checks, etc. "

There are no 'crucial' services that agencies provide. You can Google 'DBS check provider Kent' for example, for a list of many organisations that will do you a check for a fee. There is no such thing as an 'identity check' that agencies carry out. You just provide a school with your DBS then various official documents like passport, photo driving licence etc, which they'll photocopy. There is no such thing as 'etc' as far as agencies are concerned - they do nothing of importance. You are inventing reasons to use an agency that do not exist.

Your CV is a statement of your background, qualifications and experiences, which you use to sell yourself. Make sure it is brilliant, presented fabulously, fully proof-read by a number of people who can read and write and who can offer critical advice (not close friends or family). Include a photo and professional references who can be contacted by phone and who can comment on your work, reliability, attendance, attitude etc. You need to send it out regularly to the Head and HoD, each time you need work, and at least half a dozen times a year.

If you are struggling to get work, you need to take note:

"The key for businesses (that means you, because as a supply teacher, you are a business) who are struggling is to reassess their business model and make changes. It is no good constantly whinging and blaming the Government, agencies, schools, Johnny Foreigner, Cover Supervisors etc. You need to make changes e.g. to the skills you offer, to your location, to your attitude, to your approach, to the way you deal with schools etc etc. If you can't or won't adapt your business as the market changes, then of course your business may well fail, but that is down to you."

Supply is great but you have to work hard at it to make it a success. For example (deep breath) : Hands up if you have a website to promote yourself? Who has a LinkedIn profile? Do you tweet? How about a professional blog (that's positive) you can refer to? Describe in five minutes how have you up-skilled yourself in the last three months, and what you learnt and why you learnt that? What things have you changed in the last month? When did you create your limited company? What resources have you made and used and what was a success and what wasn't and why? Why do you still use agencies? Why have you not broadened your search area / moved / changed your rates / updated what you offer etc etc etc etc etc etc. I've done all the above in the last 12 months. Have you?

Adapt to be successful. Keep moaning and doing the same thing to keep things the same.

This advice is free.

Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  11. pleasemiss__

pleasemiss__ Occasional commenter

I hate being paid via a time sheet. It makes me feel completely worthless to chase after the cover manager asking if he could pretty please sign my time sheet so that i may pay my rent and eat. Growwwwwl.

12. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

All agencies I've worked with do this electronically. The cover manager just sends the complete cover sheet electronically and I just have to fill a form out and send a photo of it to my agency.

13. Fraccy

Fraccy New commenter

The reality is that schools currently outsource supply teaching to agencies. No one in school will expend the effort to check qualifications, right to work in the UK, national insurance, references, etc - especially in the morning rush to procure a supply teacher. Most importantly, in the event of a 'problem' the responsibility rests with the agency, not the school.

Few schools will be satisfied with merely a CV. Other things - LinkedIn presence, blog, skilling-up - are, unfortunately, irrelevant to the day-to-day 'factory' of education. It's wishful thinking to imagine you're anything more than a cog in a machine.

Lastly, you're verging on trolling (you were reprimanded in another thread). Please be nice.