1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Need For Languages In 2017+

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Vladimir, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

Given the very real possibility that the UK will leave the EU after 2017, what is the point of teaching languages in schools? Language for the sake of it excepted. No-one, apart from spods, wants to learn a foreign language in the
    UK. With Britexit, what is the future of language study in the UK?

2. Gummibaren

Gummibaren New commenter

The UK will still have to trade with other countries. Maybe languages will be even more important. I think, in this day and age, it will be very difficult to be completely self sufficient as a nation. Perhaps it will be a 'yes' vote. What irritates me is people thinking that Google translate makes learning languages redundant.

Lara mfl 05, JL48 and alicespence92 like this.
  3. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Absolutely none what so ever - not that there is now either. A complete waste of time.

Incidentally, can anyone also explain to me , why, since the invention of the internal combustion engine, do our kids still have to do PE? They don't have to run, jump, throw a ball - let alone a javelin - in real life. They'll probably not ever do it again in their lives after school. If they want food they can take the car to Tesco, they no longer have to spear a mammoth for its meat! How many mammoths have I had to spear since leaving school? None! How irrelevant was that skill?! Teaching PE - especially having it as something kids are forced to do in KS3/4 - is so old fashioned. Positively 19th century BC! Sure, if a kid wants to take it as a hobby, then why not. It's even something that they could pick up after school on their Sunday afternoons. Really - we need to get with the 21st century, or our kids will be left way behind!

BrightonEarly and sparkleghirl like this.
  4. cborregoreal

cborregoreal New commenter

I think learning languages, PE, music and any other subject that it is not english,maths science, geography ,makes students think and open doors for the future. It would be sad having a conversation with someone that doesn´t know basic things. PE teachs you how to work on a team, being competitive but supportive at the same time, music and art to be creative and language helps you to understand that there a whole word outside! I believe every single subject it is so important!

Jon_Gretzky and JL48 like this.
  5. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

British children should be taught to be like (most of their) parents.

Monoglots.

Why bother learning about other people who are inevitably wrong about everything?

JL48 likes this.
  6. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

The benefit of knowing another language when you travel to that country doesn't depend to the slightest degree on whether GB is in the EU or not. The Germans will still speak German, the Chileans Spanish, the Russians Russian and the Arabs Arabic. And if you do too, you'll gain a lot more on your visits than if you don't.

Jon_Gretzky, Lara mfl 05 and JL48 like this.
  7. Vladimir

Yet impose their policies on us. And their policies are heavily influenced by manufactured and imagined guilt from the days of colonialism, for which we are all paying at the kind of rate of interest charged by the keenest of loan-sharks.

Ah! Don't you just love the way politics embraces every discipline?

8. Vladimir

And they all learn English and speak it far better than we, as a nation, speak their languages.

Hell, even the Americans can learn Spanish!

9. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

and is rapidly becoming a Spanish speaking country. I wonder if there will come a tipping point, and what will happen to the importance of English if/when that happens?

10. Vladimir

Then the Americans will become bilingual as English will still be important elsewhere is the world. It might be like the world of 'Firefly' only with Spanish rather than Chinese.

It was only by a very close vote in the 1770s that English was adopted as the lingua franca for the USA, over German. I wonder what sort of linguistic map we would see today had German won the toss.

11. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

eine bessere Welt.

(eine Trump Welt)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

Well, the younger ones do, generally, I agree, because of the ubiquity of English as a world language. But that isn't the point in a sense. The point I was making was that, amongst themselves, they still speak their own language. And if you go, and do likewise, the experience is far richer.

BTW thanks for that interesting note about German/English in America. I didn't realise that.

13. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Last time I was in Hong Kong, the taxi driver got quite shirty and insisted on Cantonese or Mandarin. A bit of a contrast to when I was there a few years ago . .

14. Vladimir

Aber selbstverständlich!

15. Vladimir

You're welcome! I am AWESOME! :)

[​IMG]

16. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

the closeness of the vote is a bit of an urban legend.

17. Vladimir

So?

18. gsglover

gsglover Occasional commenter

19. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Quite.

We should be doing nothing but drilling kids in Maths, English and Science all day every day, then allow them to take the odd class in something facile as recompense.

20. Vladimir

Like P.E.