1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Nativity Play 2009

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Hedda Gabler, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Does anybody have any funny tales this year?

2. In my setting somebody came up with the bright idea of having a Christingle Service.
    Not such a bright idea if you are the poor sod left with sourcing 52 oranges, 52 candles, 624 gelatine free soft sweets and assorted raisins, 208 cocktail sticks and vast quantities of red ribbon and the inevitable risk assessment.

3. Hettys

Hettys New commenter

cocktail sticks!! You're brave in this crazy age of risk assessment and safeguarding

4. The cocktail sticks seemed a minor hazard when compared to the 52 lit candles.

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

Who started marleting this christingle thing? I'd never heard of it until two years ago.
    To the OP: resist at all costs!

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

My typing isn't as good as I think it is.

7. Our King just gave 'Frankenstein' to the baby Jesus in our dress rehearsal. Main event Monday, hugely relying on the 'cute factor' to get us through!

8. Few years ago now (back when I had a proper job):
    Shepherds forgot their sheep (we'd taken them off them to stop them fiddling and twirling them around by their ears above their heads) - cue me having to chase them down onto the stage to give them them!
    The king - we'd spent ages talking about these really special gifts and how important they were and to give them with due ceremony etc etc... big day comes... king walks up to the manger - chucks the present at the baby and jumps off stage.

9. One year all was going well, which was good as it was all being filmed, but then one of our narrators spotted his Nanny and yelled 'Nanny have you got me sweets?" down the microphone. Raucous laughter from audience and hysterical crying from Angel Gabriel who had been about to speak and thought they were all laughing at her.

Another year we had a Mummy get up on the stage no less than 4 times in half an hour to wipe her own child's nose.

Then there was the year that Mary dropped the dolly Jesus on his head and Joseph then kicked him off the stage....

I'm sure there's more, I'll keep thinking.

10. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Grinning broadly because we aren't doing one this year and now I'm leaving EYFS I won't have to do one again!

11. MSZ you're leaving early years? Noooooooooooooooooooo! Who will we go to for all your great ideas now?

12. Msz

Yes ... 2 weeks to go but no doubt I will be around and there are lots of great ideas and support on the forum without my contribution

13. Msz
    I am in shock

14. Msz

Me too I only found out last week ...

15. I am very curious- do you feel able to say anymore?

16. Msz

I'm off to Y2 in January to make it more child centred and fun ...hopefully!
    Head asked me on wednesday if I would think about it which I did ...for about 10 seconds so I'm very very excited

17. I am pleased you are excited about the move.
    I have to say I feel a little bereft at the thought of losing you as a virtual colleague in EY. I have gained so much from your posts.

18. Msz

Thank youfor those very kind words
    I may be changing KS but I will probably still be drawn to the EY forum.

19. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Senior commenter

ooo msz ! You'll right enjoy that.
    We aren't doing a nativity. Good job really. So far we can sing Jingle Bells and not a right lot else. Sigh. We tried to do some practising in the stable today, but the sheep were giggling too much and then a little angel got entwined in my musical instrument causing mayhem and chaos, a general crush and stampede....
    ........ sigh
    some of the small cast were seen later in the day, giving it welly outside with improvised tennis bat- guitars.........
    this mob will be ready to sing in public some time around the end of January.
    I'll address this Christmas music thing more after I have sorted out what they have done to reprogramme the computer and interactive whiteboard to send it all upside down and distorted..... they really are a talented group.I wonder where they have put the "tool bar"?
    ..sigh

20. We did our dress rehearsal this afternoon, with grandparents watching as we can only assign 2 tickets per child for the main event. Highlights included Mary taking the baby Jesus with her to Bethlehem even though He wasn't born yet, she refused to let go of him. Then Mary, Joseph and the baby were supposed to walk up and down the stage whilst we sang a song called 'donkey plodding' only got a bit entwined and ended up with Mary leading the donkey with Joseph following some distance behind. Rounded off with a couple of fighting shepherds and some tears from the 'stars'. Still they looked cute in their costumes!

Last year we did a play called 'The Inkeepers Breakfast'. Ben our inkeeper was supposed to give a plate of 'food' to (lets call him) Tom Smith. Sadly Tom was ill on the day of the performance. I explained to Ben just to give the plate to another child, but he forgot because when we got to that part he looked confused, then started shouting "where's Tom Smith? I'm supposed to give it to Tom Smith". Stand-in child tried to take it and Ben snatched it back going "nooooooooo it's for Tom". The parents thought it was hilarious though.