1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The nation's maths knowledge!

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by robyn147, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Listening to Chris Evans this morning. He seemed very impressed by a maths trick. Take the last 2 digits of the year you were born and add them to your age. You get 111 (unless you were born after 1999).
    He was very impressed - yet the maths is blindingly obvious. Assume you were born in 1900 - you would be 110 now (111 if you had already had your birthday). So - not sure where he got 111 from. If you were born a year later, your age would go down by 1.
    It reminds me of another maths thing I saw on TV a few years ago. There were 12 maths questions (2 digit x 1 digit) - 2 people had to guess if the answer was even. (There were 8 right). One person said she could get 2 right answers. The other guy said he would get all 8 even answers. Everyone seemed shocked but he got them all right. No prizes for guessing how but he got a massive round of applause.

It sometimes shocks me how easily impressed people are by maths "tricks".

2. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

To be fair, Chris Evans is easily impressed by everything.

3. Yes, Chris Evans/Blindingly obvious would (for me) be in the same bracket Jordan/Classy Lady. I wouldnt be suprised if he couldnt add his golf score card which he seems to bang on about so much.
    My pet hate is the way (seemingly educated) radio 5 presenters are happy to expose their shortcomings in maths following it up by spouting out some poor spin of a basic theoreom such as pythagoras...."ba squared is the long one c squared or something" is the usual thing followed by a chuckle and "I was never good at maths"
    "I dont know how these mathematicians come up with such things" usually referring to a very basic average from a data set.....followed by a chuckle.
    THEN when the open the phone lines for people to call in to highlight their inadequacies further is time to switch to my driving CD
    Humans seem happy to be known as mathematically weak yet it seems to be a massive issue to state you can't read or write.....that ne sparks pity yet being poor at number/maths is a bit of a laugh
    People like Chris Evans merely highlights the tip of the iceberg of the mentality of so many in the UK
    We need more of Andrew Jeffrey airtime

4. at least r4 presenters have the decency to be embarrassed when they're c**p at mthas (see recent programme about decimalization)
    but they are still c**p
    as i am wont to say to the head in moments of total irritation
    'bl**dy arts graduates' [​IMG]

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Now I remember - take the last 2 digits of the year in which your were born and the age you will be this year. Add together and .....111
    Shall I ring in next year and tell him it will be 112?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Ok - you were born.

7. Last year GMTV spent the entire programme telling people "50% of all hospitals are below average" - had Dr Hilary on location invcestigating and interviewedvarious people about how bad it was.

So sad