1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The National Reference tests

Discussion in 'Personal' started by HelenREMfan, Mar 25, 2016.

1. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Has anyone else read about these? Have just read that the following appeared on a Government official website
    Every year 18,000 secondary school pupils will be randomly selected to take additional Maths and English tests. These exams will be used to measure if schools are actually improving, or just getting better at teaching children how to pass GCSEs. The first National Reference Tests will start next March."

Er what do we make of that? Can you imagine what will happen? Who will choose the "lucky" participants. I do hope the chosen ones will give of their best and not say copy out the lyrics of their favourite music like my friend did instead of her Latin exam.

sabrinakat likes this.
  2. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

Another stick to beat teachers with.

3. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I can just imagine how thrilled those 18,000 secondary school pupils will be to learn that they have been 'chosen.'

They will be so pleased to know that they have more tests to take. I could see how some might rise to the challenge and others might just say ' can't be bothered' but probably in stronger terms than that.