1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The National Curriculum Review

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by tonymillar, Dec 20, 2011.

1. tonymillar

tonymillar New commenter

The linked Report on subject breadth in international jurisdictions describes the organisation and content of school curricula in 11 countries, with a hope to use examples of good practice throughout the world to help shape a curriculum review in England

It is interesting that environmental education/studies generally lists highly within the compulsory subjects of most countries used in the research and demonstrates the importance of it inclusion to establish a well balanced and effective curriculum.

In Australia -a focus on environmental sustainability integrated across the curriculum.

In Ontario - the first topic review was environmental education

In Finland - part of basic compulsory education

In Hungary - a focus on developing environmentally conscious behavior

In Singapore - environmental awareness was identified as one of six key areas of learning experience.

Are we now at the point of recognizing the practical, educational and social benefits are environmental education and will the Government now integrate the subject as a significant part of the now delayed Curriculum review?

2. tonymillar

tonymillar New commenter

The linked Report on subject breadth in international jurisdictions describes the organisation and content of school curricula in 11 countries, with a hope to use examples of good practice throughout the world to help shape a curriculum review in England

It is interesting that environmental education/studies generally lists highly within the compulsory subjects of most countries used in the research and demonstrates the importance of it inclusion to establish a well balanced and effective curriculum.

In Australia -a focus on environmental sustainability integrated across the curriculum.

In Ontario - the first topic review was environmental education

In Finland - part of basic compulsory education

In Hungary - a focus on developing environmentally conscious behavior

In Singapore - environmental awareness was identified as one of six key areas of learning experience.

Are we now at the point of recognizing the practical, educational and social benefits are environmental education and will the Government now integrate the subject as a significant part of the now delayed Curriculum review?

3. reg1950

reg1950 New commenter

Tony, are you ever going to answer the question asked to you in your other thread for your evidence that Ofsted treat ESD as a key aspect? Specifically you were asked for a link to any Ofsted inspection report on any school this term (or previously) in which Ofsted have judged ESD to be a strength or weakness of the school or listed it as an aspect requiring action. Can you provide any such evidence to support your claim that "Almost without exception, Education for Sustainable Development had been a key feature during inspections" ? Your non-response so far leads me to conclude that you can't and therefore that your claim isn't true.

4. tonymillar

tonymillar New commenter

reg1950. The previous post contained a link to the 1800 + word document 'Sustainable Development - Briefing for section 5 inspectors' and sets out very clearly the guidance for Ofsted inspectors. This was published in September this years and specific examples of best practice normally do not appear in 3 months.

The content is interesting and worth a read, as is the research information related to the new curriculum. Apparently, there are some new inspection reports linked to ESD due to be published soon and I will post them when available.

Glad to see you are keenly following my posts reg1950 and hope you will continue to do so.

5. reg1950

reg1950 New commenter

Are you in competiton with the DfE Tony for avoiding difficult or embarrassing questions, or answering the question you'd like to have been asked and not the one that was?
    You posted on 13th December that:
    "I have just spent 2 days at the TES Resources Show in London speaking to teachers and school leaders about recent Ofsted inspections. Almost without exception, Education for Sustainable Development had been a key feature during inspections..."
    My question relates to that. That is not my experience nor that of any of my colleagues who've had Ofsted recently and I do not believe that ESD has been a 'key feature' of Ofsted inspections this term. The matter is easily resolvable though, provide us with a link to the inspection reports which you discussed so recently at the TES Resources Show and which will surely have been published by now. If you are right they will all make judgements about ESD - Ofsted surely wouldn't fail to comment on a 'key feature' would they? Especially bearing in mind your earlier suggestion that schools which ignore ESD could be judged as having "inadequate teaching, progress, learning"?

I will reiterate though what has been said by posters on your previous long-running thread; no-one is saying ESD is irrelevant, just that it does not have the central role in schools, and how Ofsted judges schools, which you repeatedly claim.
    You might also care to comment Tony, if it is the case that ESD will be such a key feature of Ofsted inspections, on why the just issued final Ofsted Framework and Evaluation Schedule for 2012 don't mention ESD at all.
    Glad to see you are keenly following my posts Tony and hope you will continue to do so

6. tonymillar

tonymillar New commenter

To avoid any further distraction from the intended topic of the National Curriculum Review 2012 (and to avoid breach of Netiquette guidance) I refer readers who would like to follow the thread that reg1950 mentions, linked to the post OFSTED will be critical of schools that do not have ESD as a key feature in the Curriculum to follow the link where I hope the subject will continue to be discussed.

I look forward to reading your threads on the subject of The National Curriculum Review

7. reg1950

reg1950 New commenter

You really are ducking and diving Tony. Anyway, I'll go and repost my question there then if that's what you want.

8. Could have saved the 'ink' Reg and gone straight there without passing go. I thought what Tony suggested made sense?

9. reg1950

reg1950 New commenter

I won't bother to reply to this Be-Happy, it would only distract from the question. I presume you consider my question to be one of those that you have called earlier in the thread "silly comments that do not contribute anything to the intended topic". You are entitled to your opinion

10. reg1950

reg1950 New commenter

No there isn't Be-happy or I wouldn't have asked it. Tony Millar copied my post from here to the other thread and replied to it there, adding his opinion that it was long winded and removing all the formatting and layout making it hard to read.
    Are you going to make a relevant contribution to this subject Be-Happy? I'd be interested to know your views on ESD. Was it raised by Ofsted at your last inspection? How does your school incorporate ESD in its curriculum? Do you agree that ESD should be a key feature of a successful and central to school inspections? How important do you consider ESD to be?

11. No
    We have recently started to look for connections between ESD and the curriculum. The staff have found it interesting as have the pupils. Generally we have found it quite easy so far to make the connections. Two example of what we have done so far- Saving water linked to Geography. Saving energy - persuasive writing English (and saving money)
    The work we have done so far has made us realize the gains that can be had from ESD, so yes I do
    Very important. We now believe that it can underpin most of our work, not just the curriculum. The most unexpected thing that we have gained is that we actually look like we are going to make some savings on energy bills without trying. I for one am totally convinced that ESD should be important in all schools

Reg, I would be interested to hear your answers to the same questions

12. reg1950

reg1950 New commenter

Read the other thread and you'll see that I've already posted my opinion on all these.

13. Any chance of pointing me in the right direction Reg? Searched your previous threads and not got very far.

Is this new? Asking questions in one place and providing the answers else where. I must be getting too old!

14. reg1950

reg1950 New commenter

You posted the question on this thread, not me. I''m not going to waste time reposting my previous responses. I suggest you read the other thread fully, all your questions to me are answered there.