1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The name "India"

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Corvuscorax20, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Senior commenter

I normally just make appreciative noises when someone tells me the name of their new baby, or soon-to-be-born baby. But this gives me some concerns. The name has been chosen because it "represents beauty and mysticism" - but does it? Or does it simply propagate a fairly racist ethnic stereotype? I am not normally bothered about looking for offense, but we are talking about a child's name here, something she will be using to introduce herself, and to respond to for the next 90 years, possibly, and I am not sure whether it will be a politically acceptable name for the next 90 years.

What are your thoughts?

My cousin's baby, incidentally, due late September/early October. No Indian connections

2. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

I know an India, now in her late 20s. Never took it to have any sinister connotations.

3. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Been used as a name for quite a while Mountbatten ‘s granddaughter(?) comes to mind. I’m sure there others too. Not aware that anyone’s expressed concern in the past.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    Lara mfl 05 and bombaysapphire like this.
  4. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I taught a little girl called India in the 90s. Never gave it a second thought.

5. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

Australia just has not caught on.

6. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Nice name, I can't think of any racist connotations at all.
    As for choosing the name as representing beauty and mysticism? Perhaps a stereotypical way of imagining the country, but not in a racist way and well in keeping with many Indian views of their country.

7. Corvuscorax20

because it is not seen as "exotic" and "other" by white brits.

Am I being sensible, or over reacting to have reservations about this name? Should I say something?

8. lizziescat

You’re over reacting.
    What would you say about someone called Islay with no connection to the island .Maybe her parents saw it as representing beauty, peace and a rural idyll. ( inhabitants might think otherwise)
    Not to mention all those people of my generation called Elizabeth - is that offensive because of the classist or monarchical overtones or delusions of grandeur ?

Aquamarina1234 and Miss_Marple_ like this.
  9. Corvuscorax20

Is it? I don't know any Indians who describe their country as that.

"Filthy, harsh, dynamic, forward thrusting, energetic, unhygienic, scientific, economically sound, poverty stricken, hot, young"

These are all words I have recently heard Indians used to describe India. Not such aspirations for a baby, maybe?

10. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

Hernia is a lot worse.

11. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

No.
    That view only betrays the fact of your own limitations in experience. The name India is pretty well known, for example, the journalist India Knight. And going back in time I'm pretty sure there was an India in Gone with The Wind. And I too have friends with children/young adults called India. Chances are, somebody called India is reading this thread and scratching their head at your question.
    People can call their kids what they like, although naming your child, say, "Stockton-on Tees" is probably a relatively poor choice.

12. Corvuscorax20

Any Indian nationals here have any reaction?

I am not sure how I would feel about visiting a foreign country and finding children called "England" because we are seen as sweet or appealing in some way

13. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

You're worrying over the name 'India' while suggesting other parents see names as 'exotic' and 'other'?
    You've got several posters here telling you 'India' is not that unusual a name and yet you're determined to see it as such?

Go get some rest. It might look dfferent tomorrow.

14. Corvuscorax20

Inexperience of people being called "India" do you mean? I am aware it has been used in the past, but I would have expected it not to be acceptable in the modern climate. Maybe I am wrong

15. lizziescat

i don’t know how many Indians you know but there could well be a variety of views among the 1,380,000, 000 others.

I’m assuming you haven’t surveyed them all.

16. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Roger's daughter India Waters and of course "no sleep til Brooklyn".

17. Corvuscorax20

well, I was told the name some weeks ago, and have just been growing more uneasy ever since.

18. Corvuscorax20

I am sure there is huge variation of views, but I am uncomfortable with the view that it is a "cute" or "mysterious" place, as defined by white Brits.

19. lizziescat

Well here’s one Brit that does.
    I don’t think you can generalise a whole nation from your circle of acquaintances.

monicabilongame and Miss_Marple_ like this.
  20. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I knew a lad called Indiana.