1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The N bomb.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by scienceteachasghost, Nov 28, 2015.

1. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Basically went to an R&B night at a well known club in a well known city in the UK.

Being a child of the Eighties/Nineties, I was rather shocked to hear how many N bombs the lyrics contained! Now of course I am not naïve and am well aware that since the Eighties sections of the 'black community' (I hope this is the correct and non-racist term!) have 'owned' the term as a word of endearment etc. However. frankly there were more N bombs than a bloody Tarantino film!

What are peoples views of this? How do teachers and school staff deal with the use of the N bomb if it is used 'within' the black community?

Of course I accept that this is a very 'eggshelly' topic but with modern music and its lyrics it must be an issue!

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

There seems to be a distinction between the N-bomb ending with '-er' and the N-bomb ending with '-a'. However, use of the word is also based on skin colour. If you are non-white you can use it, if you are white you cannot use it.

Personally, it's just a silly word, used by silly people who want to either offend or appear cool to their 'street' mates.

3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

As a related aside, one of my favourite Viz letters:

How come rap artist Dr. Dre can use the 'N' word on his multi-million selling albums and win a MOBO award, yet when I used it at my son's football match I was asked to leave the park? Once again, it's one law for the rich and another for the poor.
    Reg Ashcroft, Bradford

4. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

As a related aside, one of my favourite Viz letters:

How come rap artist Dr. Dre can use the 'N' word on his multi-million selling albums and win a MOBO award, yet when I used it at my son's football match I was asked to leave the park? Once again, it's one law for the rich and another for the poor.
    Reg Ashcroft, Bradford

Sorry for such a Noughties meme but LOL!

5. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Star commenter

As another related aside...

[​IMG]

6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Context is all.

7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Presumably you refer to the drug 2-(4-iodo-2,5-dimethoxyphenyl)-N-[(2-methoxyphenyl)methyl]ethanamine rather than the Neutron Bomb Enhanced Radiation Weapon.

Personally I should like to gather all the users of (and singers/rappers about) the former together in an isolated place and introduce them to the latter.

monicabilongame likes this.